1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Barrel Aged Bigfoot in Texas

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by lokieman, Feb 7, 2013.

1. lefty12

lefty12 Aficionado (170) Texas Feb 6, 2010

Crucial. That is a polite way to describe that fellow. The sacrifices we make for good beer....
    BeanBone likes this.
  2. BrutalSusan

BrutalSusan Aficionado (205) Texas Dec 13, 2011

even the goofballs in bastrop dont have any...ugh. but i did confirm someones post in the abyss thread about them having some left. he said he has a few abyss left. well if anyone has an extra they would want to trade ...
  3. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Yeah, if you travel out that way. Elgin should have more too. I bought many of Bastrop's last night.
  4. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

I've noticed Bastrop county will have whales later in the game for some reason. They won't have any new releases on time...or anywhere near release date. I've been hitting them up on travels to/from ATX for the past yr.

Gotta buy them out, probably will get distributor to put new on shelf.
  5. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (340) Texas May 17, 2012

I'm at that Spec's at least a couple times every week, but I guess I'm not a "regular" because I never stop to chitchat.
  6. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

Central Market gave one to a guy then told me it was the last one smh always late to the ball
  7. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (325) Texas Sep 10, 2012

Hi, I was the one guy - Big Guy, Black Shirt :)
  8. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

Build relationships with people. Everyone over at midtown Spec's is cool, they won't bite.
    Chuk_Hell and HoustonZ33 like this.
  9. BruceBruce

Damn you HoustonZ33, lol, I was too preoccupied getting steak and lobster for tonight, I would have gladly just made her mad to get one. Still have one more angle to work fingers crossed I can get two bottles
    HoustonZ33 likes this.
  10. HoustonZ33

Good luck to you man, This one is making Abyss look easy.
  11. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I was only able to nab 1 bottle here in Austin. Granted, I didn't really try too hard. :)
  12. Has anyone actually tried a bottle? I had this on Sunday on draft and thought it was pretty mediocre as far as BA barleywines go.
  13. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Why on earth would you drink this? It's rare beer!
    UHCougar12, BeanBone and BruceBruce like this.
  14. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

+1! Are you nuts? This goes on a shelf to admire. But can never be even so much as gazed upon.

15. Ha, just trying to save some angst. Enjoy the hunt!
  16. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (315) Texas Oct 21, 2008

Where was it on tap?
  17. Not as helpful for Texans, but Sour Sunday event at Jupiter and Triple Rock in Berkeley.
  18. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (315) Texas Oct 21, 2008

I figured people would make a little noise if kegs made it to TX. Glad I passed when I had a chance to buy one.
  19. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Aficionado (205) Texas Jan 10, 2013

[​IMG]
    Lutter likes this.
  20. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Aficionado (220) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Picture is ruined by the text IMO.
  21. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

:eek: What???

It was fantastic imo.
  22. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (535) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I'm told $18 pre-tax was the price. I could offer 3 bottles of BCBS for a bottle.
    HoustonZ33 likes this.
  23. HoustonZ33

It is, Mine was $17.99 (Central Market, Houston)
  24. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 12, 2012

In the ATX I would try some of those outlying HEBs that had the Abyss for some ridiculous reason.
  25. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Already made that circuit and struck out but you never know...could be a case or two floating around
  26. Damn, so this beer has already come and gone in Houston, I see.

Musta been like 30 cases or less for the whole state is what it sounds like.
  27. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Aficionado (205) Texas Jan 10, 2013

I think DFW still has a shot, as I am hearing from multiple retailers (other than Fern) they still have some coming...we will see...

**shrug**
  28. The rest of dfw gets it monday(tarrant county at least)
  29. BruceBruce

I was told by the Justin from Central Market 20 Cases for the whole state and their beer rep didn't even get one lol
  30. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Not solely directed at you but I wouldn't buy either "fact" you were given. And with the number of lurkers on BA let's try not to create a false panic (See:Abyss).

Not that the guys at CM are clueless, you just gotta question where they get their info from.
  31. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (465) Texas Oct 15, 2011

20 cases for the Houston Market sounds closer to what I have been hearing. I know some bars have gotten it but they are holding it for now. So theres still a chance to try it for those out there that missed.
    mattisloco and HoustonZ33 like this.
  32. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 12, 2012

^
    This.
  33. lonestarbev

lonestarbev Aficionado (215) Texas Oct 18, 2006

I was told only 12 cases in Dfw metro.

supposed to get a case next week.

Rick
    ShameAndFailure likes this.
  34. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Sir Rick should save a bottle for a certain cool BA from Houston (me). :)
  35. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (195) Texas Dec 22, 2011

Got a bottle from CM NLamar yesterday morning...but there was only one case so I'm guessing it went very quickly.
  36. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Of course. I THOUGHT about driving over there yesterday morning, then decided against it. Dumbass.
  37. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I'm officially done with this beer in Austin. Unless a case happens to drop right in front of me in a store I'm already at...I'm tapping out. I scraped and clawed for my 2 bottles and BA Bigfoot officially goes down as my #1 toughest bottle ever in Austin, TX...Good luck if you're still in the hunt.
  38. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (195) Texas Dec 22, 2011

It really just showed up unannounced for a sought after beer at most places without much fanfare and there haven't been many good leads on where to look. I was fortunate to grab 2 cases. JK, I only got one.
    lokieman likes this.
  39. TexasStout

TexasStout Savant (255) Texas Jun 22, 2007

I'm sure it was the 'rare' in it you tasted that made it so great. ;)
    Show and drummermattie02 like this.
  40. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

Honestly no. I had no clue it was as rare as it is when I had it. I had a "1-man bottle share" which basically means, in order to try out a few things before I aged them (for comparison) as well as being able to try a bunch of things with my wife rather than 1 bottle, I had a few people over to share some of my stash. It was one of them and it was fantastic. Here's basically what I cracked for everyone:

You can see, it was in good company when it was assessed too
    [​IMG]