1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Barrel aged dark lord at map room Sunday morning

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by BreakingBad, Nov 16, 2012.

1. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (380) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

It's gone. Just missed it.

2. Maction

Maction Savant (445) Illinois Oct 14, 2008

...and BA Dark Lord is gone. 11:20 A.M. Central.

3. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (380) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

After having a bunch of awesome brews at FoBAB without any trouble, I was getting worried that the Chicago craft beer scene wasn't an absolute clusterf*ck anymore. I feel alot better now.

lurchingbeast likes this.
  4. Maction

"If you're reading this, it's probably gone:"

[​IMG]

Tenative schedule of tappings:

[​IMG]

funhog likes this.
  5. Maction

Breakfast of champions at Map Room: Founders Breakfast Stout and Intelligentsia cappuccino.

[​IMG]

6. iadler

iadler Savant (415) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

$6 for a 10 oz pour of BA Vanilla Dark Lord?! Map Room should be charged for having prices that are too reasonable!

Maction likes this.
  7. thetomG

thetomG Savant (430) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

Don't see the FW Cognac Double Barrel Ale on there... Any word on that one from anyone who is/was there?

8. It was $7 for a 10oz pour. I would have been happy if it were 5oz pours, then everyone would have been able to have at least 1 pour, maybe 2. I got there just before 11 and my girlfriend and I got the very last glass. I've had it so I passed. Gave half to the girlfriend and the other half I passed around to the people who just missed out on their own pour.

Amazing beer though of course, and I love Map Room. When I left around 12:45 they had only just tapped the "before 1pm" beers so I imagine they are a bit behind schedule.

C2H5 and beerking like this.
  9. Maction

Founders Bolt Cutter is now pouring.

[​IMG]

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  10. Maction

Not until after 5:00, per the bartender.

11. Nrcost2

Nrcost2 Savant (310) Kentucky Dec 3, 2010

Breaking news: Bolt cutter is not very good

12. thetomG

thetomG Savant (430) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

ok thanks!

13. aefbjo

aefbjo Savant (275) Bahamas Jun 8, 2005

I'll be by in an hour or so. Hoping for Double Citra Ninja! And some barrel aged goodness.

14. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Totally disagree. Absolutely delicious.

15. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

bolt cutter was one of the best barley wine's i've ever had.

otrejo and CWBlues like this.
  16. Nrcost2

Nrcost2 Savant (310) Kentucky Dec 3, 2010

Maybe I was a little too critical/had too many BA barleywines at fobab. Definitely got better as it warmed.

beerking likes this.
  17. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (410) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

You did not show, early anyway, I was #1 in line, we left after 2 Boltcutters, at about 2:45.bb Van Dl = 5 out of 5 !

18. stouts4me

Boltcutter, did get better as it warmed, NOT a whale, but it is good. Mooseknuckle ( Piece ), at FOBAB was a better barleywine, and while I'm at it, HAYMARKET's Clare is awesome, and in my opinion, better than Cherry BCS, yep ! I said it. Don't get me wrong, I would still like to get the cherry, but that Clare, whoa !

19. stouts4me

agreed.

20. BreakingBad

I don't think any beer is a whale but I have had king henry many, many times and I liked bolt cutter better. I love the citrus hop flavors It's getting now and is one of the most well balanced beers I have had. This one lived up too and exceeded all my expectations. Let me remind you that it is 15%abv if you may feel it's too boozy

21. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

FT: Bolt Cutter___ISO: King Henry

adamdd likes this.
  22. BreakingBad

If I didn't have any bolt cutter I would do it

23. BreakingBad

unfortunately trades are more driven by rarity of the beer, not necessarily if one taste's better than the other. that's why an "FT bourbon county, ISO dark lord" would never work.... we will see how distro is for Bolt Cutter...

24. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Numbers will be less then CBS. You were just lucky enough to get the tickets and drive up to Founders and buy your bottles and also complete other peoples allotments.

My previous ISO:FT comment was for comedy purposes only.

BreakingBad likes this.
  25. I know of multiple BCBS 2012 trades for anywhere from 2009 to 2012 Dark Lord, as well as for many other more "rare" beers.

26. BreakingBad

oh yeah I got it sorry! damn looks like it will be hard to score another bottle! if not i'm still happy I got my two. I'm going to drink one fresh after thanksgiving and wait a year and then crack the other. wish I could get a couple more so I could crack one every year and see how it progress though.

27. BreakingBad

really? I thought it wouldn't cause it's so common by me. I think there are some stores that still have it in the chicagoland area too..

28. I understand and agree with your sentiment, but DL just doesn't command a lot these days.

29. BreakingBad

nice well it's good that it's going for what it's worth. I wish all beers traded for taste not rarity

30. This was an amazingly fun and well run event. Was maybe 10 back in line this morning and made it til about 2:30. Drinking a keg of vanila bean dark lord a block from home was pretty darn cool.

31. aefbjo

aefbjo Savant (275) Bahamas Jun 8, 2005

Missed (or got there too early for) the ones I wanted to try, but my friend and I enjoyed the Bolt Cutter, Shipwrecked (aged 11 months in 10-year-old whiskey barrels), and Alpha King on cask.

32. billywan

billywan Aficionado (180) Illinois Jan 20, 2009

BA Vanilla Dark Lord was amazing. Thanks to the Map Room and the staff that was awesome for this event. Went seamlessly, met some cool people. And of course, congrats to one of the best beer bars on the planet on 20 years. I look forward to the next 5-10 of me living right down the street.

foobula likes this.