Barrel-Aged Narwhal

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by kirbmeist, Jan 23, 2013.

1. I doubt the majority of those people are Beer Advocates.

The thing is, I thought Wisconsin is pretty much 2 and done, which means anything above 2 also involves an unlicensed driver.

2. That went over like a Led Zeppelin. Dammit

3. You're not trying to draw a causational link between high abv beer and DUI are you? I mean, if you were to have claimed domestic violence and a Packers loss, sure, nobody disputes that is connected. . .

In all seriousness, for all the complaining that people do about BMC. . . well, the MC in that equation is probably why they (WI) have better beer laws than you. Similar reason why you probably have a helmet law, and Wisconsin does not.

Kind of funny that to protect individual freedoms, we sometimes need giant multinational corporations to lobby the government for them.

4. Sounds amazing! I can't think of any barrel aged stouts with the amount of forward hops the Narwhal had...... Hopefully I get to try it!

rylanc likes this.
  5. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (330) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

Really liked that Narwhal, but the festivals are just not the best venue for me to enjoy this 12.9% tanker, please reconsider placing this lovely beverage in a few craft bars !

6. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (490) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

Wisconsin is full of raging alcoholics. There are studies that show the number of individuals per capita that engage in binge drinking is higher than many other states.

And the problem here is that DUIs are not treated nearly as severely as other countries and our process to get a license isn't nearly as arduous or expensive as it is overseas. Factor in the lack of public transportation and that people might live far from their favorite watering hole making a taxi expensive(still cheaper than a DUI) and you have the formula for a high rate of repeat offenders.

Constituents don't speak nearly as loudly as lobbying groups because they have deeper pockets than we do.

7. 510a

510a Savant (355) Washington Jan 12, 2013

Love this beer. Did a blind tasting with Abyss , was hard to tell which one I liked better, so if barrel version is coming I will sport wood, no pun intended.

8. Just a little bit speculative causation wise to say that Wisconsin is full of raging alcoholics because DUI isn't treated as severely as it is other places.

Having lived, attended school and practiced law in both Wisconsin and Nevada (much of it being DUI defense). . . I can confidently say Wisconsin is full of nicer, less alcoholic (better) people than the latter. I also think every place I've ever lived has had those type of people who touted (in some reverse sense of pride) some study at some point that says they are the #1 drunks/party school/dui capital/meth capital of the country.

Bars in Wisconsin close, they don't in Nevada. Nevada has no concept of what an "afterparty" is, because there is no closing time at the bars, like in Wisconsin. Its not illegal to be publicly intoxicated in Nevada. WI don't even let you buy beer in most places past 9pm, as opposed to the 24/7 rule here. Wisconsin has dram shop act liability (125.035), Nevada doesn't (41.1305). Public transportation and population density are massively greater in Wisconsin than Nevada as well. I think any tradeoff of less dui/more public transportation is purely speculative, but even assumming it to be true, we know for a fact, that places with public transportation are also hubs for violence and crime. Anyways, what I'm getting at is that the legislature in Wisconsin seems far more involved others in regards to alcohol issues, so therefore the causational link you mentioned regarding drunks and lenient laws seems to be belied by the record.

DUI laws "on the books" in most countries are extremely selectively applied in my experience. You think this legal system needs work, pick one anywhere in the world that is better. Its generally a bigger insult to local law enforcement that you didn't try and "bribe" your way out of a violation. You get caught drinking and driving, you pay a fine "on the spot" and if you don't, only then, are you arrested and charged with a violation of law.

I agree, the process for getting a license should be more difficult, but if you put constraints on voting, drivers licenses etc. . . in this country, many will brand you a racist, even if you just want a single, uniform standard, applied to all persons, regardless of race. And if you point out the high alcoholism on Wisconsin's Indian reservation system possibly skewing the number of 'alcoholics' in the state (but I thought they were 'sovereign nations', why are their numbers included with Wisconsin?), geez, game over.

Lobbying groups are made up of organized constituents. Its not that disorganized ones have less money necessarily, they just choose not to prioritize their desires enough to coordinate with others to enhance their lobbying abilities.

Good chatting with you about Wisconsin and beer. If you really wanna get pro-active about fighting the culture of alcohol in Wisconsin (think global, act local!), I can send you an address which you can send all of your awesome New Glarus, Central Waters & Tyranena brews, thereby enhancing the safety of Wisconsin's roadways!

If you can prevent just one dui, then its all worth it! Cheers!

9. Kaz646

Kaz646 Zealot (90) California Dec 14, 2010

Woooooo need me some of that.

10. johnyb

johnyb Advocate (575) Florida Aug 11, 2012

I already tried this. In this case, sadly, there was no improvement.

ThirstyFace, WassailWilly and JohnB87 like this.