1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Barrel Aged Old Numbskull & Kopi Luwak Speedway Stout Bottle Sale

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by JustXBeer, Jan 14, 2013.

1. What is CHF?
  2. Sorry. Churchill's Finest Hour
  3. Thank you, AleSmith. Best releases ever. For serious.
  4. Waldomega

Waldomega Aficionado (105) Nevada Jan 15, 2013

when the worst thing about a release is typing your name a few times over, its a pretty damn good system
    MCorrea and jklinck like this.
  5. I really enjoy the numbskull, but was honestly more excited about the Kopi.
    oxcitypauze likes this.
  6. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

fell for it like a fat kid & cake, cheers everyone!
  7. Kopi will sell out in the next 30mins. Down to 2 bottle limit per purchase. Numbskull is still readily available.
  8. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (265) California Nov 29, 2012

Kopi Luwak Speedway Stout $17.00 ($18.59 w/service fee) Sold Out
  9. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Kopi is down. Expect it to show back up then go down for a bit as people's carts expire.
  10. I see that a lot of people are already trading it.
  11. evilc

That's what beer is for. To be shipped cross country multiple times, until at some point it is a shell of its former self. This is when you drink it - when the trade value is gone.
    wintbs379, Levitation and besaunders like this.
  12. I am going to make my own. I just fed my guinea pig some Folgers. I will dry the pellets in the oven and then put them in a 750 ml and let it sit in the closet for a few months.
  13. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

ISO! FT: Douche Chills - Bal Aged
    HopHead84 likes this.
  14. A friend who lives near the brewery was willing to split his purchase with me, so I've got two of each coming to me. Huzzah!
    jibboom56 and leschkie like this.
  15. i know of a way you can get more kopi than that. inbox is full, please e-mail me for details.
  16. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

Dpes my Bruery Reserved Societe of Gentlemanly subscription give me an allocation to this? If not, that would be quite irregretable!
    MCorrea and evilc like this.
  17. That was easy. Tried it on my phone, thought it sold out, gave up. Came home an checked and they still had the Barleywine, refreshed and the Kopi popped up. Got one of each which is all i wanted/could afford.
  18. Not sure why I'm posting this here but the thought popped into my head while reading this thread.
    I'm going to start collecting empty bottles of Rare and contact a brewer that wants to bottle age a beer in Rare bottles. Will be whale.
    DrAwkward82 and ehammond1 like this.
  19. That is a real concern for a lot of brewers. They are afraid that someone will fill rare bottles with other beers and try to pass them off. I think that is why Lost Abbey requires you to drink some of their beers onsite and keeps some of the bottles.
  20. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

This. Bbubbles, are you trying to get this thread deleted or what?
    BdubleEdubleRUN likes this.
  21. Wait, you can't even take the bottle with you at Lost Abbey? Heaven forbid an auction pops up for an actual empty bottle of their beer.
  22. evilc

You could take the track release bottles home all year.
  23. You could take the empty LA bottles home after consumption on site, at least with all the tracks. They are cork and caged bottles, so it wouldn't be as easy to counterfeit I would assume.
  24. Xul

Were the corks/cages different from normal Lost Abbey bottles?
  25. evilc

26. ehammond1

WHEELS ARE TURNING!
  27. Unless I am remembering incorrectly, I have been to certain events at Lost Abbey where they did some bottle pours of some rare stuff (Duck Duck Gooze, Vertias, Cable Car) but wouldn't allow the bottles to leave the premises.

I know that there are some bottles that get loose into the wild.
  28. Xul

I haven't the slightest interest in counterfeiting LA beers, but if it's a genuine concern, letting people keep the bottle, coupled with using your normal corks/cages, doesn't seem like a particularly brilliant idea.

All three of the beers you mentioned were for sale to go before being made available for on-premise only consumption - DDG and Veritas directly from the brewery, CC from Toronado SF. DDG was a limit 6 per person, so it being in the wild isn't saying much.
  29. ehammond1

Of course not. Serious. Don't listen to me. Just a drunk idiot. Srs.
    BdubleEdubleRUN likes this.
  30. anybody carpool to this (from LA)?
  31. Cerveza

Cerveza Aficionado (125) California Jun 26, 2012

Damn I would have loved to get some Kopi Lowak, speedway is my favorite imperial stout.

Anybody looking to sell or trade theirs?
  32. Gotta love the Numbskull. I wasn't fast enough to order the Kopi, but did get a couple BBAONs. We were lucky enough to grab tastes of the Kopi on Saturday when we picked up the bottles. Tasty stuff...

The BBAON was also available on tap, so we got a sneak peek at what was in the bottles. Good flavor, but a bit "hot" so should be able to handle a little cellaring.

This plus the Stone's QM BAOldGuardian plus their "normal" versions ought to make for a fun barleywine tasting. If only I could get a bottle of the Green Flash BABarleywine that we had a year or so ago at the Linkery. That was fantastic, too.
  33. The Rum Barrel aged Numbskull was awesome too!
  34. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Definitely! Rumbskull was the best of the taster set. I could've drank Rumbskull and Kopi Speedway all day...
    KaslD and Levitation like this.
  35. Big ups to Alesmith for the amazing beer and even better event. Apparently, the way to release limited beers without a fustercluck is to not sell tickets to the event and simply charge reasonable prices for tasters. There was plenty of space, an excess of delicious beers to choose from, and the mellowest of vibes to contrast against the tense overcrowding of BA speedway '09.

This has been said before, but Alesmith is So Cal's absolute best at releasing brewery exclusive beers these days. Just over the last six months, with BA speedway, BA decadence, BA wee heavy, kopi lowak and BA old numbskull, they have easily bested the line-up put out by the bruery over the last twelve months (and without the $300 fee needed to gain access).

With all the attention kopi lowak has received, BA Old Numbskull stole the show here. I don't know if I've ever had a more vanilla forward barleywine. And this year's Decadence is a pretty amazing quad.
    drewone, pmarlowe and JustXBeer like this.
  36. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (365) California Mar 13, 2009

Have to agree here. Kopi really didn't do anything for me; I'd rather they bottle Vietnamese Speedway. But BAON was great... I had three tasters in a row.
  37. Both of these beers were great at the tasting room, but honestly I feel that:

Vietnamese Speedway > Kopi Luwak Speedway
    Old Rumskull > BA Old Numbskull
    sdhomebrewer, tyrsis and domtronzero like this.
  38. riko

riko Savant (280) California Jan 18, 2008

They are going to bottle it later this year.
    jklinck, HopsintheSack and tyrsis like this.
  39. Leave it to Bootsy to make people smile. :)