1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Barrel Aged Old Rasputin

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by queens1130, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Good thinking to wait on this one. BA B.O.R.I.S from Hoppin Frog Is WAAAAAY better and cost so much less.
    InebriatedJoker likes this.
  2. jplopez21

jplopez21 Savant (470) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

I'm not sure why everyone loves Old Rasputin. I'm a huge Imperial Stout fan, but cant seem to like OR. I bit the bullet and bought the Barrel Aged, and while it was way better than OR, I didn't think it was worth the $20+ price tag.
  3. RDMII

RDMII Savant (290) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

I'll gladly take all the bottles you guys don't want.
  4. I have 2 14th and 2 12th Anniversary. Post me with what you have for trade.:)
    NWer likes this.
  5. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Bcbs coffee?
  6. You have my attention. Message me
  7. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

It's not one I stock up on (like Abyss or FW XVn) but I think it's worth one or two a year. I have one XIV left and looking for another XV. Won't break the bank and worth every penny in my opinion.
  8. Had it on tap today, very tasty stuff. Made me wish I had picked up a bottle of it

Personally, I think it's better than Abyss...a lot better...
  9. NWer

And twice the price which is the gist of this thread. Abyss is the very best $ for $ out there hands down.
    AxesandAnchors likes this.
  10. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Where did you find it on tap? Love to taste it.
  11. Hops and Pie has it. They were also doing the Stone Epic Vertical today (08-12). Wish I passed on the Epic flight and just did a couple glasses of OR.
  12. Ehhh...I definitely disagree on that one. Abyss is very over hyped if you ask me, but different strokes for different folks, I guess?

And its more like 2/3 the price ;) And worth it
  13. NWer

Ah a math major :) I didn't bother to do the math but I do know both are very tasty whatever valuation you put on them. Cheers.
    jnoble likes this.
  14. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Thanks, will head that way in the next day or 2.
  15. Was in the store yesterday and saw probably 20 bottles sitting on the shelf, priced at $23. Not far away, Founders Imperial Stout in 4-packs for $13. I guess no BA Old Raspy for me this year.
  16. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

I had a bottle of XII just a few months ago and thougth it was pretty good. Not my favorite BA stout but def. tasty. Ounce for ounce it was pricey at $21, however XV is on shelves now at $19.99.

cheers
  17. RDMII

If you can get it, sure. For those of us in the panhandle, we won't see Abyss anytime soon.
  18. To be fair, Nick and I both left the site for almost all of 2012, and almost immediately stopped giving a shit about all of the drama on here. Arbitrator didn't attend many tastings during this time, so he wouldn't know, but I can't remember the last time Levitation came up as a topic of conversation. We honestly couldn't give a shit at this point.

We do still routinely wind up at Toronado though...
  19. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

Better for the value and better for the taste (regardless of price). I still like BA Rasputin though. Why for so many people does it have to be a this or that situation, I say enjoy both!
  20. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (355) Kansas Sep 24, 2012

I'm just glad I got one as a graduation gift last year. ;)
    By that rational I should get a bourbon barrel Dark Lord when I get done with grad school, right?
  21. CowsandBeer

How much did you pay for your BA BORIS?
  22. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

You were talking about Levitation for a while at the tasting at Evan's house in mid-December. But you were drunk, so maybe that doesn't count. ;)

I admit we were all curious for a long time, and I thought I knew who it was for a few years. Go figure that "some asshole on the internet" would actually turn out to be some asshole on the internet.
    Beerandraiderfan and Levitation like this.
  23. faucd531

faucd531 Initiate (0) Louisiana Jul 7, 2010

Great beer! And I agree it's better fresh.
  24. 15.99
  25. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Most Lost Abbey bottles are 750ml.
  26. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Yeah but Deliverance and Angel's Shares aren't.
  27. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

It's the large divot in the bottom of the bottle that deceives. Like the bread on the table at a buffet, "that's how they get you."
    jRocco2021 likes this.
  28. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

This is a crazy good beer and is in a league above BCBS in terms of smoothness, complexity, and (unfortunately) price.
  29. RDMII

True. 375s on those gems, and easily $14-17 retail.
  30. I grabbed a bottle, enjoyed it on NYE, but probably wouldn't spend that amount on it again. Don't get me wrong, it was delicious, but I find similar enjoyment in less expensive RISs.
  31. CowsandBeer

Has anybody had the Nebraska Brewing BA Black Betty? In my area both the BA Old Rasputin and BA Black Betty are around the same price, despite the Black Betty being a larger size. Which one (if any) do you think is the better value/beer? I've never actually bought either because of the price tag but have ended up with bottles of both somehow. ;)
  32. BA Rasputin is a better beer, but they both have prices that are hard to swallow.
    CowsandBeer likes this.
  33. bird22

bird22 Savant (405) California Jan 2, 2011

One of my local shops is selling BA Rasputin for $13.99 (and the beer buyer says this is the correct price). Crazy, as I've never really seen it for less than $19.99. Typically I balk at the higher price, but I have bought a couple bottles at $13.99. It's definitely a solid BA stout, but there are still better options out there for the money.
  34. stuart3368

stuart3368 Savant (255) Colorado Jan 3, 2011

On tap at Hops and Pie in Denver. $9 for a 10oz pour. Had 2 saturday here, during a Stone 8.8.8 through 12.12.12 verticle ale tasting. Having my first tonight. Might do the Candela by Cigar City/Green Flash next
  35. Got a bottle I need to open. It's pricey for the quantity but delicious.