1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Barrel Aged Stout Suggestions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NickyDee21, Dec 23, 2012.

1. I was just wondering if someone had a solid year round, easily available barrel aged stout they could recommend. Wanna try something I haven't had for New Years but I'm not in the mood for a hunt. Thanks
  2. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

There's always Weyerbacher Heresy. It has solid reviews, but I wasn't such a big fan (though I wish I was.) It comes in 4 packs at a reasonable price too.
    Northlax3 and danedelman like this.
  3. They're all vastly overrated.
    GeddyLeeRocks likes this.
  4. If you get laughing dog you can try bourbon barrel dogfather. This was my first BA stout
  5. quetzal013

quetzal013 Savant (250) California Feb 16, 2011

Aren't you getting a lot of BCBS and BCBCS out there right now? But you would have to seriously pace yourself for NYE, haha.
    whendeathsleeps likes this.
  6. Port Brewing Older Viscosity is year-round. It's pricy, but well worth it on occasion.

Also, Old Viscosity, the base beer, is half the price and really good if you can find it. It seems to have disappeared from my area recently.
  7. Saving my other bottles of BCBS to drink throughout the year. Local spot ran through their BCBCS before I could get there to grab some
    quetzal013 likes this.
  8. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

New Holland Dragon's Milk. Yum.
  9. jsm1289

jsm1289 Aficionado (175) New York Mar 11, 2011

ten fidy, black xantus , any hoppin frog ba variety , beer geek brunch,
  10. Bubbles

Bubbles Aficionado (205) California Sep 16, 2012

Old Rasputin has a barrel aged. I plan to get it in the next week. I love the imperial stout, so I'm sure I'd love the barrel aged.
  11. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

jgluck, luwak, hoppusmaxximus and 8 others like this.
  12. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (325) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Dragons milk from New Holland Brewing is year round, its aged 3 months in heaven hill bourbon barrels.
    gkatsoris likes this.
  13. You're right! I forgot to mention that one. Probably the best kept secret on BA. So damn delicious.
  14. Not sure what you get in your area but Epic's Big Bad Baptist is plentiful round these parts
    jgluck and luwak like this.
  15. Pretty sure only the Dragon's Milk is year round, but being in the Philly area as you are, I would suggest...

Weyerbacher Heresy should be a very easy find, though I don't care for the thin feel of this one.
    New Holland Dragon's Milk should not be too hard to find either.
    BA B.O.R.I.S. the Crusher, though can't say how readily available it is right now around Philly.
    Lost Abbey Older Viscosity, you should be able to find this one (I know the Hulmeville Inn above NE Philly has some, as should Iron Abbey)
    Lost Abbey Deliverance (I know Matt at Capone's still had 1 as of Friday, he probably also has the BA B.O.R.I.S)
    Avery Mephistopheles 2011 was around in my area (Philly 'burbs), but that's probably going to be not as easy to find, though you may want to call Beer Heaven on Columbus Blvd. I was there last night and I know I saw Avery Samael's, just can't say if they also had Mephistopheles.
  16. Thanks. Turns out I may be hunting after all. Supposed to be getting Cherry Rye BCBS in my area this week.
  17. Good luck, snagged a bottle myself last week.
    NickyDee21 likes this.
  18. Thanks, great suggestions. A lot of these I've had and i just want something new. Matt's a great guy judging by all my encounters with him, and definitely love giving my business to him. I'll have to check out to see if there's any of the Deliverance left. I know sometimes he gets a second shipment of things in.
  19. It was literally sitting on the counter as of Friday and I can tell you it had been there a wee bit o' time. Not like shelf time is going to ruin that delicious brew though ;)
  20. My favorite thing about Capone's is the fact that buried treasures can go completely unnoticed in that shop sometimes and as you're scanning, you're just like "what? How the hell has this not been bought?" Makes the trip always seem worth it.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  21. While it isn't a BA Stout, I feel like He'Brew Sweet 16 might be an option for you.
    It reminded me of Lost Abbey Deliverance with a bigger punch to the brain.
  22. Avoid all barrel-aged beers!!! They will turn you into a pompous, elitist ass!!!
  23. Well, that was helpful.
  24. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

It's been said, but deserves to be mentioned again, Uinta Labyrinth. It's one of my favorite stouts period. You won't be disappointed.
    luwak likes this.
  25. Inoracam

Inoracam Zealot (85) California Nov 17, 2012

The barrel aged one is stellar.
  26. dipaguy

dipaguy Aficionado (200) Florida Feb 20, 2011

Brooklyn black ops
  27. gkatsoris

gkatsoris Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2007

Naked Evil.
    May be my favorite brew of 2012.
  28. The first BA Stout you drink should clearly be Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout Rare, I'm pretty sure it is easy to find.:D
  29. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

It's actually assorted barrels. They use Beam/Turkey/Etc.
  30. I have mad love for this beer, but it ain't a BA stout o_O
  31. I just picked up a sixer of this :rolleyes:
  32. gkatsoris

gkatsoris Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2007

Damn it!! LOL.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  33. Hey man, no worry.
    Naked Evil is awesome.

Says the guy with 6 bottles in his basement :eek:
    gkatsoris likes this.
  34. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

i bought a 4 pack of dragons milk in atlanta during thanksgiving, and the one i had was still very hot..the alcohol/bourbon was all i tasted..i am going to sit on the other 3 i have for a while and see if it mellows out any. does anyone feel the same way about this?
    lostandwandering likes this.
  35. yoitsarch

yoitsarch Savant (310) California Nov 13, 2012

Get your hands on some Firestone Parabola if you can. It's a very clean bourbon barrel aged RIS.
    ESeab likes this.
  36. I like the regular but the BA is hot and overpriced, which is weird as the regular is underpriced. Maybe some aging on the BA version will help with the overpowering heat.
  37. azdback

azdback Advocate (625) Arizona Apr 2, 2004

Highly Dislike!!!!
  38. i second this. I almost got a growler of it, then i saw the 4 packs on the shelf. great for the price and readily available for me in NJ :)