1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Barrel Aged Stout Suggestions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NickyDee21, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles Aficionado (205) California Sep 16, 2012

Yeah, but I don't mind boozy since i love bourbon. My pub, when they had it was $35, but I heard I can get it for less (thats why I haven't had it yet). During a bottle share, my friend had the Speedway barrel aged imperial stout. So good! I thought it was perfectly balanced, with a lot of mellow bourbon flavor, no heat. Problem, I'm not sure it's made anymore. He's the guy that shares rare stuff you love.

2. Resuin

Resuin Champion (890) Massachusetts Jun 18, 2012

I would like to get this thread going again - any suggestions for some great not-impossible-to-find BA stouts with west coast distribution?

3. Yeah, it's an old thread. Shoot me. This is exactly how I felt about it. I had the misfortune of buying a bomber of it. It was my first ever drain pour.

4. Parabola
    BA Rasputin

5. If you feel like droppin the dough, eclipse. I had the bernheim wheat whiskey, but I can't say it was worth the $28 I paid. Not bad, just not worth the price.

6. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

I think Parabola is your best bet. BA Rasputin was a huge letdown for me, and quite pricey. If cost is no issue, some of the Eclipse variants are really good.

7. DruRho

DruRho Initiate (0) Maryland Sep 3, 2012

Cherry Rye is just awful. If you get a bottle you should trade it away as fast as possible. I'll help you get rid of it...

loafinaround likes this.
  8. Definitely the Old Rasputin...

9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Wait for avery to release uncle jacobs this year.

10. My gf was gonna get it for me. Turned out, she worked the night they got it in and she couldn't go. It sold out within 15 mins. At first, I was disappointed... This past Friday she made it up to me, however, my snagging me a bottle of Barrel Aged Bigfoot. Alls well now

11. FozzieThaBurr

FozzieThaBurr Disciple (65) Feb 8, 2013

The BA Rasputin that has been a couple of times mentioned is excellent...but it's overpriced, at least to me. It's about $25 for 500ml around here. My friend and I split a bottle and we both agreed it was fantastic, but I would not purchase it myself.

12. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Ccb ba milk stout.

Ba sexual chocolate

Bcbs

13. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Love Dragons Milk. Very smooth and filling. I've never found it hot or too boozy at all.

ESeab and screamking like this.
  14. If you don't mind the cost of admission, then Older Viscosity.
    Such an incredible beer, stands up to BCBS imo.

ESeab likes this.
  15. screamking

screamking Savant (325) Ohio Jan 20, 2013

I agree, the price is right there with the rest of them and available all year. As for the burn, its a bourbon aged stout, i expect the heat.

16. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (645) Texas Dec 28, 2012

If by stellar you mean outrageously expensive. $23 for a 16oz bottle here in TX for the BA Old Raspy

17. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (645) Texas Dec 28, 2012

I'm surprised I haven't seen Central Waters BA Stout on this thread yet. Not a year round release but shouldn't be too hard to get where the OP is from when it comes out, and is damn good.

Drew26 likes this.
  18. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

It's not year round but barrel aged old Rasputin is sublime. Expensive, but I have found nothing I like better.

19. zeejay27

zeejay27 Disciple (60) Oregon Mar 4, 2011

The Abyss is world-class and it might be hard to find but not impossible.

20. madnismo

madnismo Savant (360) Florida Jan 30, 2011

meh I just add a shot of bourbon to what ever beer im drinking and bam BA beer. Its cheap and never runs out. haha jk Hoppin Frog BA BORIS is pretty good and easy to find.

21. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I'm with you.on this. There are some gems out there but most fall short.

22. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

It's not a stout, but its close enough I think.. Ola Dubh Special Reserve 16 from Harviestoun. Dark strong ale aged in Scotch whiskey barrels, Highland Park in particular.

23. madnismo

madnismo Savant (360) Florida Jan 30, 2011

Brewdog Paradox!! not to hard to find but $$ if you do.