1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Barrel aging time?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by tbone0542, Dec 10, 2012.

1. tbone0542

tbone0542 Disciple (50) Illinois Dec 9, 2011

My buddies and I just got done brewing an imperial stout. We got a 20 gallon barrel that we dumped it into about a month ago. Any advice as to how long we should keep it in the barrel for? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
    Cheers

T-Bone
  2. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Taste as you go and then decide when it's done. There's no rule. I did a stout in a 15Gal bourbon barrel for 73 days - not long enough now that I think about it. Have a BW that's been in a barrel for three months now, and will likely keep it there for another 9 months.

It's really up to you. just taste it every few weeks.
  3. tbone0542

Thanks a lot for your info. This is out first attempt at barrel aging so your help and experience is really appreciated.
    Cheers

T-Bone
  4. What type of barrel is it? This could make all the difference.
  5. tbone0542

Its a bourbon barrel from Ceder Ridge distillery in Iowa.
  6. better question:

did you really call yourself t-bone?
    ColForbinBC and PangaeaBeerFood like this.
  7. Depends on what you want from it. The bourbon will seep into the beer within a few weeks, if you're just looking for a boozy kick, but if you want actual wood and barrel notes, it'll take 4-6 months or more.
  8. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

I think that this is a pertinent question to the thread; for those of you that have a lot of experience with barrels, how often do you get the flavors (oak, spirits, oxidation - ratio) that you were expediting? Or at least when you started?

I've only done one BA myself, but I tasted a good bit of HB barrel aged beers. And they seem to be no where as boozy and in general more refined than there chip/cube counterpart.