1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BAs in Shanghai

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Shmeal, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Shmeal

Shmeal Savant (495) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Anyone? I'm going to be in Shanghai for work and am curious on what the beer scene is like there (i've only been exposed to the cocktail scene, which is actually quite impressive). Might bring some goodies from Portland, OR as well.

Cheers!
  2. CTJman

CTJman Advocate (600) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

I'm here on vacation for the spring fesitival. The beer scene as you must know isn't all that bad. But so far I really prefer boxing cats beers and selection the most. The American imports are mediocre at best.
  3. aschwab

aschwab Savant (475) Texas Mar 3, 2009

Mediocre and completely overpriced....but they are imported craft beer. Boxing Cat is the way to go if in Shanghai.
  4. Shmeal

Yeah I've been to boxing cat before. Now I just bring my own craft beer from PDX when I travel. Every time I share with people there, I blow their minds!
  5. PeterVesti

PeterVesti Aficionado (100) China Aug 12, 2013

Kaiba has a pretty impressive range of Belgian beers available. Really like that place (try the one next to Tianzifang).
  6. Shmeal

Anyone have thoughts on Dr. Beer? I'm back in China for work.....
  7. Mark_Eck

Mark_Eck Aficionado (115) Michigan Jan 19, 2014

I work here too. Dr. Beer has a great idea with being able to pick the beer you want on tap at your table, but the beer isn't very good. Cheers In is a great place that does bottle delivery. They have weekly deals and I've ordered many times from them. You can also pay cash on delivery.

http://shanghai.cheers-in.com

Free delivery over 200 RMB. City Shop here also has a decent selection of Belgium beers.

Finally, Yong Kang road has several places, including Cheers in, Dean's Bottle Shop, and Tap House. Tap House has about 15 beers on tap, a lot of Rogue but the best place in town for draft beer.
  8. Shmeal

Noooo Rogue noooooo!

Being from Portland, I kind of have a hate thing against Rogue. If I knew there were BAs in Shanghai, I would have brought some bottles with me to share with folks. I'm just looking for a bar to have a beer or two on draft. The craving is strong.
  9. Mark_Eck

Mark_Eck Aficionado (115) Michigan Jan 19, 2014

Well give me a shout if you want to grab a beer sometime. KaiBa or Tap House are both good places. KaiBa has a lot more Belgian beers, don't remember seeing any Rogue there haha.
  10. CTJman

Lots of vintage cantillon when i to kaiba. Their bottle lists are online or just ask

I'm still a boxing cat fan and I did see rogue at kaiba too. When I went I def brought half a suitcase of bottles. Shared them at a shop called Jackie's beer nest and at boxing cat.

J
  11. Shmeal

Vintage cantillon you say? Well, I might have to check it out then! I don't care that I was in Belgium last month!
  12. CTJman

last time i went i scored a bottle of 06 vig for lets say $22usd. and then 09's of others left and right. its been over a year since i last visited so hopefully the craze didnt catch up there.

also - the head brewer at Boxing Cat hails and use to brew in Portland. you might get along ;)

kaiba has three locations: look to the site for bottles - or email the owner (thats what i did)

althought now its just showing kriek, rose and the gueze
    http://www.kaiba-beerbar.com/en/beer.aspx
  13. Shmeal

He used to brew in Portland Oregon?