1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bass Pale Ale: Product of the USA?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ericlawton007, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Don't usually drink Bass, but I was at my parents for dinner and it was what my mom offered me. Tasted the way I remember it should taste (its been many years since I've had a Bass), but on the label I saw that it was brewed in Baldwinsville, NY. Anyone know when this started and whether a buy out of the original Bass in England led to it being brewed in New York?
  2. Interbrew (the predecessor company to Anheuser Busch-InBev) bought the Bass label in 2000 (Coors owns the original Bass brewery in Burton-on-Trent).

They started brewing in domestically at the Anheuser Busch brewery in Baldwinsville, NY in the Spring of 2011.
    Slatetank likes this.
  3. Similarly, the Harp Lager I am drinking right now is brewed in Canada.
  4. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (615) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

Bass doesn't taste anything like I remembered it. I'm done with it. Has nothing to do with macro snobbery or anything...I just think it tastes bad now.
    yemenmocha and utopiajane like this.
  5. I can't remember if I had Bass before I became a beer snob. Late in 2011, after I had become a beer snob (therefore had a good idea of what the style should taste like), I ordered a pint of Bass at a local beer bar. My reaction was something like, "This is supposed to be an English pale ale?!" It wasn't undrinkable, but it was bland. Although I can't compare it to the English-made Bass, based off that experience I have to imagine the US-made stuff just isn't the same.
  6. Try it on cask dispensed from gravity. It drinks like a much stronger ale and is scrumptious. Brewed by Marston's in Burton on Trent.
    [​IMG]
    herrburgess likes this.
  7. NealPaisley

NealPaisley Aspirant (30) Wisconsin Dec 28, 2012

I just bought a 6, and upon tasting had to look at the bottle again.... made in USA. Sad, that. I remember it being so much... more. Not again with this one unless I'm in the UK.
  8. charlzm

charlzm Advocate (710) California Sep 3, 2007

I haven't had a Bass in 5 years; I went back and checked my BA review! I used to drink it semi-regularly back in the early to mid 2000's; the brewing moved to the US in 2011? Huh. I remember it as clean with a bit of a crisp, green apple bite to it but not much else.
  9. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

Me too I had a yen for it this past summer and first thing I thought is "this is different." =(
    Slatetank likes this.
  10. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Fully agree. I drank a lot of Bass in the early 90's and it is very different now. Sometimes it's a matter of taste changing over time but sometimes it's so incredibly obvious.
    kojevergas likes this.
  11. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

I will not fuss about the internationalization of mega brand name icon stuff. Those icons are like genetic memory in the species. I'm almost certain that the rebirth of local brews is the antidote to any damage done to our collective physche relative to the dying of these icons. New icons are thriving! I used to keep Bass at cellar temperature- when it was English- and relished each one.
  12. I revisited it recently (also used to drink a ton in the 80s and 90s), and while its flavors are more muted, I still found it to be a pleasant enough beer.

EDIT: but marquis is correct, on cask it is a completely different experience. That pic is making me incredibly thirsty!
  13. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

I agree. I had some at an Indian restaurant last week and it didn't taste familiar at all.
  14. rtrasr

rtrasr Savant (335) Arkansas Feb 16, 2009

What a fine old brand. It deserves better. If Bass is going to be brewed in the States, then it should follow the correct recipe and be offered on cask as well as keg and bottle. I first noticed Bass in East Coast bars in 1989. My first taste of ale.
  15. jeff52

jeff52 Aficionado (135) Missouri Oct 8, 2008

Is the Bass brewed in the USA not the "correct" recipe? What is different in the recipe?
  16. rtrasr

rtrasr Savant (335) Arkansas Feb 16, 2009

It does taste different than earlier incarnations. Maybe original would be more correct than correct.:D
  17. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Savant (470) Michigan Sep 1, 2013

Hope to one day go across the Atlantic and try real Bass again.