1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

batch MLT brass or Stainless steel

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by beer272, Feb 23, 2012.

1. beer272

beer272 Aficionado (210) New Jersey Sep 23, 2009

Which do you use? Brass or stainless for the mash tun hardware on the interface to the outside of the mash tun. Not asking about manifolds or the SS braid.

One can have issues with interfacing SS and brass due to a galvanic reaction. So if I was to use the brass barb, think I would wrap it a few times with tape before tightening the SS clamp & SS braid onto the barb.

Cheers

Mike

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I use brass (valve). If I did it over again, I'd probably use SS, just because of the tiny possibility of leaching metals into the wort, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. Also, I do have SS washers and braid, and they don't seem to be reacting with the brass stuff.

3. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (535) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

What about neither? I have a rubber drilled stopper (same as the ones for the airlock, just smaller) and vinyl tubing running through it to a nylon valve that has more tubing leading to the kettle. Attached the braid to the tubing on the inside. No need to worry about metal reactions. Cheap, and easy. Works great to. Just worked the stopper in real tight from the outside with a screwdriver, no leaks.

4. cmac1705

cmac1705 Aficionado (245) Florida Apr 30, 2010

I use brass too, but none of it in direct contact w/ SS. Seems to work just fine.

5. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

6. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

I've got brass on one kettle and stainless on the other four. Never noticed any off flavors from the brass.

7. beer272

Yes I know of bargain fittings, was at their site yesterday. Today went to Lowes (the better) and HD to price items for the build and see what they had. Identical prices, but found a brass 0.5" ball value at Lowes, not seen in HD. The real Murphy of the project are the SS washers which bargain fittings has. Not even sure if I need them yet either. So if I were to go with the SS kit at BF it would be Murphy if I had to go back and order a couple of SS washers. :oops:

8. beer272

Where did you get the nylon value?

9. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (535) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

Both of our LHBS have em. Outside of cooler costs (already had an extra) it cost me less than $15 to make my MLT; that's SS braid, tubing, stopper, valve.