1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Baudoinia: The next BCS variant

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by foobula, Nov 3, 2012.

1. foobula

foobula Member

Guess I'm the first to use the word "Baudoinia" in the BA forums (read all about it here.)

John Laffler (Goose Island's Barrelmaster/brewer extraordinaire) posted a photo via twitter that this beer was kegged yesterday. He later explained that it's BCS made exclusively using barrels from the bottom rack at Heaven Hill. Baudoinia is the name of a fungus found on barrels. (First beer named for a fungus?) From the looks of the keg label, this beer will be in the Fulton & Wood series, meaning that it is draft-only, Chicagoland-only.

So how long is this likely to last once it's tapped? 1 hour? And does the bottom level of barrels have some special quality that the rows above it don't?

[​IMG]
  2. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Member

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
    jRocco2021 likes this.
  3. foobula

foobula Member

Ok houston guy, thanks for interjecting your nap into the Great Lakes forum
    Mgm54 and harrylee773 like this.
  4. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Member

Just doing my part. Some times What's New tab takes me to the craziest places! :D
  5. foobula

foobula Member

What's New tab, I never noticed that before! I always click "home" and look at the list there.

But I digress...
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  6. Bay01

Bay01 Member

I believe you get more evaporation on the bottom row, so this is like concentrated BCBS I believe. Lets hope we see this @ FOBAB
  7. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Member

Hope to see this at FOBAB. I wish they had named it 'The Bottom of the Barrel.'
  8. moefriedman

moefriedman Member

Should've named it "Subservient Bottom"
    MarkIntihar, Vav and Rempo like this.
  9. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson Member

There's nothing subservient about BCBS. POWER bottom, 100%.
  10. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Member

Big bottom, big bottom
    talk about mudflaps my baby's got'em
    ColdPoncho, Etan and stayclean like this.
  11. drewba

drewba Member

Before this thread, about 4 hours. After this thread, 12 minutes ;)
  12. HighWine

HighWine Member

The only difference about the bottom barrels in a rack house is that they are easier found and require less work to get ahold of. Thus, the name of this beer should be "BCS Paradox".

(Seriously, though, Heaven Hill and other distilleries rotate their barrels so there is really no difference between top, middle, or bottom racks.)
    aasher and bozodogbreath like this.
  13. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Member

Which begs the question, why do they rotate?
  14. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson Member

Within the storage warehouse, temperature changes often affect barrels stored on the top story making them age more quickly, so some distillers rotate the barrels so they all mature at the same pace.
  15. Etan

Etan Member

It seems like the difference has to do with the fungus (baudoinia), because Laffler tweeted that this is from barrels that were covered in it. How does this affect the beer?
  16. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Member

Hallucinations, hopefully.
    aasher, clarkw42, ASUBeer and 5 others like this.
  17. Etan

Etan Member

If that were the case, they would have named the beer Tripping -Bals.
  18. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Member

Plus 1000 internets.
  19. foobula

foobula Member

EDIT: GI confirmed via twitter that this is the same as the Low Storage BCS from this year's FOBAB, and was my favorite of the 4 samples
  20. Bay01

Bay01 Member

I don't think so, this is aged in special fungus covered barrels. I didn't see any fungus on the FOBAB low barrel...
  21. burica2020

burica2020 Member

I think it's safe too assume they are in fact two in the same considering low barrels have/had this fungus. My guess is they didn't call it beu-blah blah because it wasn't officially released via Fulton and wood yet and everything else had a specific name at fobab. It would been weird to have buffalo trace, wine, apple brandy and beudwaaa and then have to explain that's the name for a low barrel with fungus
  22. Lansman

Lansman Member

I spoke with Brett at the Whole Foods event the day before FoBAB and he remarked that this was a special version of BCBS that he developed for the Fulton & Wood Series that was his personal favorite. He then remarked that my group and I really need to seek it out because once it is released, it won't see the light of day again. He did not give me the impression that this was the same variant as the FoBAB release, which I believe was left lacking by virtue of being compared with the Apple Brandy and Pinot Noir BCBS variants in a side-by-side comparison.
  23. foobula

foobula Member

If you started with it, it really was quite delicious. Rich, flavorful, and not boozy (comparatively) as Brett described in the video. My mistake might have been trying Apple Brandy BCS last; I believe the wine barrel BCS really overpowered the others.

Here is where GI confirms that Baudoinia is Low Storage from FoBAB. http://twitter.com/GooseIsland/status/275647063650340865
    lurchingbeast and Lansman like this.
  24. Bay01

Bay01 Member

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't think low barrel was any different from regular BCBS but that was also after fifteen or so palate-destroying beers and intoxicaton, will have to try it on it's own to get a good perspective.
  25. burica2020

burica2020 Member

I had it as my like second beer and I must say I thought it was amazing. It has a weird smoky, earthy funk that mellows it out and made it wonderful. I just wish I didnt write the last two sentences because now I'll have to fight my way to get a pint at clybourn or somewhere else they tap it.
    foobula likes this.
  26. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Member

I called it, I figured the low barrel version from FoBAB was this beer. Awesome, my favorite of the four for sure...
  27. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Member

Oddly enough, our friend from DeKalb has been silent about all this BCS goodness staying in Chicago.

I really enjoyed the 'low fill' variant at FoBAB. Much more rounded or smoother than regular BCS. Looking forward to having a glass or two on its own.

ETA - Spoke to soon. The facebook post has come to his attention.
    mcc1654 and weatherdog like this.
  28. Lansman

Lansman Member

I thought we had two friends out that way?
  29. CityofBals

CityofBals Member

I enjoyed the Apple Brandy barrel treatment more than this treatment, but this was the second best IMO. Really mellow, would be curious to see it with some age (I imagine way more molasses than usual).
  30. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Member

31. Treebs

Treebs Member

Probably on timeout.
    PlayaPlaya likes this.
  32. Lansman

Lansman Member

Right on Playa.
    MarcatGSB and PlayaPlaya like this.
  33. Bay01

Bay01 Member

34. Treebs

Treebs Member

Playa gonna Play
    Lansman likes this.
  35. foobula

foobula Member

Isn't that what BA is all about? Speculation run rampant? Lol. To be fair I invited speculation with a question in my post, which I subsequently edited out when I answered it. :)
  36. stupac2

stupac2 Member

There are approximately 10 million beers named after Brett.
    CruisaC likes this.
  37. foobula

foobula Member

Yeast is a fungus... mind seriously blown!
  38. DarkMagneto

DarkMagneto Member

Just watched that video. Good grief! They need to keep that guy off the camera and just on the brew kettle. I felt bad for him watching that video.
    foobula likes this.
  39. stevegoz

stevegoz Member

I wouldn't hire him to do a commercial, but he got the info through on a video that will get a couple thousand views. If he's boring you, there's probably a funny cat video just a click or two away.
    crushedvol likes this.
  40. JmH

JmH Member

seriously? maybe not the best public speaker, but I wouldn't go that far

on to the subject at hand -- anyone have any ideas as to when this will be hitting area bars? or will this be for special events only?
    stevegoz likes this.