1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Baudoinia: The next BCS variant

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by foobula, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Why is this not on tap at GI?

2. Goose island clybourn is seperate from the brewery. While obviously very connected, the brewing that goes on at goose island clybourn is just kept there. The Fulton and wood series comes out of the main brewery and gets distributed to various bars throughout Chicago. So in this case, goose island clybourn is just another bar that can get that beer.

dvelcich likes this.
  3. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

pretty much this. even with as much bcbs as chicago has, i can only remember clybourn tapping it two or three times. that said, there's still a lot of amazing stuff that comes out of clybourn, most noteworthy (to me) was 'elijah', a doppelbock aged in elijah craig (not sure if it was 12 or 18) barrels that they had on tap on black friday. so, so good.

redsand22 and Dontcounttoday like this.
  4. Elijah was mindblowingly good. My favorite of any GI Clybourn brews easily

5. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I understand the concept. So the single barrel varieties from distilleries must be placed on above levels, so they don't have to work around them? Which would definitely change the oak profile in a bourbon, due to different temp changes...?

6. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

Single barrel bourbons are placed in the rackhouse based on the flavor profile that particular brand is trying to achieve.

7. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

I didn't think the Baudonia was as good as the regular BCS. Less viscous IMO.

Another place that has it: $14/glass at GT Oyster. Personally, I'd rather have the $10 PVW10 or $15 PVW15

EDIT:
    Missed this post above:

8. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

chicago downtown? i paid 11.

9. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Yeah...maybe I improperly noted the price. I had several hopslams before dinner

10. There's a place in the near north 'burbs that's selling 12 oz pours of this for only $6 (a fricken steal!). PM me for details.

11. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (275) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

Had 5 glasses of this yesterday LOL.... . . .. .Needless to say....I like it.

It differed from regular BCBS enough to qualify as a variant...But not too much...Which is good, I LOVE BCBS.

I had it at GT Fish & Oyster as well as one other, unmentioned, spot with much better prices.

12. I'm guessing Beer Bistro? No doubt Baudoinia lasts longer when bars spell it as Baudoina on beermenus!

13. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

i have a couple of cases of baller stout so no need to mention the spots with cheaper prices.

Bay01 and pschul4 like this.
  14. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (225) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

I'm surprised there aren't stores in DeKalb selling sixth barrels.

15. PlayaPlaya

???? I don't think Dekalb has ever had BCBS on tap....But that would be BALLERSTOUT if we did :D

16. PlayaPlaya

Yes, it was BB. I believe only the one location has it.
    First time there.....I actually liked the space, layout, surroundings, etc.....Only problem was their was only ONE bartender working, and she seemed like she had too much to do, resulting in less than stellar service.

Quite the opposite from GT, where they had about 5 bartenders (working a bar that could hold about 10 ppl max)

At both spots, I was the only one drinking the fungus beer.....I would bet my money that it stays around for a while.
    I'm assuming people just don't know what it is......

Is there any particular reason why Goose Island doesn't label there BCBS taps with a Bourbon County logo ?????
    Seems like it would be something they would like the market?

17. tinypyramids

GI has no control over how bars label their taps.

pschul4 likes this.
  18. PlayaPlaya

Wait, what???

I'm talking about the tap handles.
    Why don't they put "bourbon county" on the tap handle anywhere?? It just says Goose Island Baudoinia on their silver goose tap handle.
    AFAIK, the silver gooses are reserved for more exclusive, limited releases....So those that know that, should know everytime they see one that its something more special from goose.

19. Or when they aren't even on beermenus, and spell it Baudoninia on their PDF draft menu.

20. dman127

dman127 Aficionado (240) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

Had this Saturday night at Happ Inn in Northfield. $8, so not so bad. This was a great beer, but not for me. I don't like bourbon, but wanted to taste this to see what BCS and the viariants were like. I will say that I can see why everybody loves it. Complex, smooth, very interesting and if you like bourbon, you won't be dissapointed. It an extremely well crafted beer. Glad I had the chance to try it, now I will leave the rest for you. Very happy with my decision to trade my BCS that I purchaed this year for some Beat 5 and FFaC.

21. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

Exactly. I know where you're talking about. I actually mentioned the misspelling to my waitress, she didn't give $hit.

22. My local source for Baudoinia upped their price today from $6 to $8 for a 12 oz pour. Still a good price, glad I went back tonight for some more.

23. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

My local Tap House Grill is advertising a flight of Fulton & Wood beers tomorrow night -- but Baudonia isn't listed as one of them! (They're doing En Passant, Black Mission, Casimir and Gran Gas.) Hoping Baudonia might be a special surprise guest or something....

24. tinypyramids

go anyway. gran gas is amazing

25. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

Go. I actually really enjoyed Black Mission, Gran Gas, and Casimir

ravot likes this.
  26. dman127

dman127 Aficionado (240) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

+1 to Gran Gas - great beer!

27. pvllbum

pvllbum Savant (255) Illinois Sep 4, 2007

Me too :D

28. pvllbum

I can confirm Baudonia will be tapped just not part of the flight...well it'll be tonight cause it's 1am now lol.

stevegoz likes this.
  29. pvllbum

Can't beat $6.50 a glass.

30. trbergman

trbergman Savant (405) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

It's pouring at Goose Clybourn as of 9:30 tonight, $12/10oz.

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  31. wyatt13

wyatt13 Savant (475) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

I had a pour last night at Prairie Moon in Evanston, $7 for what looked like a 12 oz. pour.

32. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

Is the only difference between this and regular bcs the barrel treatment? I had it last night and I thought it was amazing, better than regular bcs for me, very similar but richer and much more chocolate

33. tinypyramids

iirc, yes.

34. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

35. NSK79

NSK79 Savant (375) Illinois Jun 4, 2012

I'll pile on too. Had it at Tap House Grill last night. 6.50-10oz. This beer is outstanding, I liked it as much and maybe more than BCBS.

pvllbum likes this.
  36. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

I love how Goose Island Clybourn always seems to have the highest prices for Goose Island products. I understand that they are 'just another bar' when it comes to these types of tappings, but charging $12 for 10 oz. just seems a bit ridiculous compared to the majority of other places who have tapped this variant.

Grohnke likes this.
  37. PlayaPlaya

Agree.

38. Word. And same goes for bottle releases.

39. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (485) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Flowing nicely at brewpub and also a solid BA red saison with wild yeast....that's a mouthful

40. I refuse to pay that price at the brewery when you can get it at ridiculously better rates elsewhere ($7 for a 14oz pour at Beer Bistro!), but that BA Saison was pretty great.