1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bavarian Flooding

Discussion in 'Germany' started by steveh, Jun 3, 2013.

1. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Just saw images of the massive flooding -- hope the rivers are flowing away from all our friends.
    drtth, mjtierney2 and herrburgess like this.
  2. Bamberg -- and Franken as a whole -- has been hit pretty hard, but the waters are apparently receding. I think Regensburg is not out of the woods yet, nor are Oberbayern and the Berchtesgadener Land. The report I watched on BR Online showed Passau, which is very hard-hit. You guys stay safe over there!
  3. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (455) Germany Jul 31, 2011

The Neckar here in HD has flooded a little but no damage, certainly nothing on the scale of what I have seen on TV of other parts of the country. Good luck to everyone over in eastern Germany and the Czech Republic. The weather forecast here is for dry weather for the next week or so. Hopefully that will provide some respite.
  4. steveh

The images I saw were Passau and Munich (of all spots!). Passau reminded me of Prague from a few years ago -- I think they're just recovering from that one.
  5. Leipzig and Dresden have also had flooding.
  6. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (630) Germany Apr 13, 2008

Thought you might want to see some videos.
    In Passau, on the Danube (Donau in German):

And in Regensburg:

And here's an interesting map of the troubled areas.
    br.de (Bayrische Rundfunk) has lots of videos, too.
  7. steveh

I'm honestly a little concerned that we haven't heard from Stahl in a while.
    boddhitree likes this.
  8. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (630) Germany Apr 13, 2008

Has he drowned his sorrows in beer? Good question.
  9. steveh

After seeing the newsreel of Regensburg, I just hope he's high and dry.
  10. I was in Bamberg, Regensberg, and Nurnberg in May. Great dunkel weizen and schweinshaxe. The Danube was normal and people were sunning themselves on the banks as usual. Wow did things change in the few weeks since I came back to California. My best wishes to them and if any Bavarians find themselves in need of shelter in Northern CA here it is.
  11. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Savant (420) Germany Mar 21, 2005

I'm fine :p The wife and I were in Austria and Croatia the past 2 weeks and the only thing I noticed about the flooding was on the drive home because the A 3 is still flooded around Deggendorf and we had to drive a detour. Our house wasn't washed down the hill either and the Schwarze Laaber hasn't given any offense so Plank, Goss and Eichhofen (all 3 right next to the river) are fine. The Donau was a bit higher than usual but the breweries are all far enough from the River to be safe. Spital is kinda close but raised and has been there for over 800 years so they know how to keep their hops dry :)
    Bierman9 likes this.
  12. steveh

Good to hear you haven't been practicing your back stroke!
  13. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Savant (420) Germany Mar 21, 2005

Oh, I have, just not through the flooded streets of Regensburg, hehehe. :D