1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bay Area Tasting #17: Thursday, January 3rd @6PM (at Beer Revolution)

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by stupac2, Dec 21, 2012.

1. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Hey guys, it's about that time again. My calendar says that the next tasting is less than two weeks. Provided that they'll still have us, it'll be at Beer Revolution on Thursday, January 3rd at 6PM.

Bring a bottle or two (try not to bring more than 2 750's equivalent of beer, unless you want to bring some home) or buy something there. Actually, buy something there anyway, a bottle or something on tap, because Beer Rev doesn't need to generously host us and we should show them we appreciate it.

And remember, DO NOT OPEN BOTTLES YOURSELF, you MUST take them to the bar to be opened by a Beer Rev employee. This is the law. Beer Revolution doesn't have to host us, please don't make hosting hard on them in any way.

If you have any questions just let me know!
    flaran and Bubbles like this.
  2. stupac2

Also, this doesn't affect this tasting, but since the February tasting is scheduled to be on superbowl Sunday I'm considering moving it. Since the week after is beer week, the options are moving it a week forward (to Sunday, January 27th) or doing Thurs-Thurs-Sun-Sun (so we'd have Jan 3, Feb 7, Mar 3, Apr 7). I'll probably do a new thread with a poll sometime later, but wanted to let people know.

If the Sunday regulars (all 3 of you) have opinions, feel free to chime in here or BM me.
  3. Bubbles

Bubbles Aficionado (205) California Sep 16, 2012

Hey, this is one of my spots!
  4. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

I can't wait to move to Fremont so I can BART to these things...
  5. stupac2

First time anyone has ever said that.
  6. Bubbles

Bubbles Aficionado (205) California Sep 16, 2012

I'm in walking distance to all my favorite pubs. I don't know how I can leave the area! We've done a couple of pub crawls in the area. 4 years ago, it would have been a rather short crawl.
  7. stupac2

I'm replying to you just because you seem new around here and may not really understand what this is, but it's a general post to any new people because I don't really explain it in the OP. This "event" is a bottleshare/tasting, which means everyone brings their own bottles. Beer Revolution isn't involved except as the venue (although occasionally they'll pull out bottles and join in on the fun). Anyone can join in, the only rule is to bring something or buy something there.

On a more general note, because it's now winter it's liable to be more crowded than we're used to because no one will be outside. Also one of the big tables broke, the tall large one, so it'll be a little bit harder to be a cohesive group. As always any efforts to to get there early and snag tables will be appreciated.
  8. As always, work schedule willing I will be there.
  9. Gilmango

Gilmango Savant (285) California Jul 17, 2007

Planning to be there, thanks!
  10. Jabel

Jabel Disciple (65) California Nov 4, 2010

I should be there as well, any thoughts or preferences in what to bring??
  11. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

And I'm working this day, like always :(
  12. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

I have a huge presentation at work the next day, unfortunately. I have a bunch of new Kuhnhenn stuff, too.
  13. I'm planning on coming.
  14. for the record, and to keep it in mind
    Beer Revolution's anniversary party in on sat feb 2nd
    stupac2 and afrokaze like this.
  15. Looks like I can make this one. Anyone know what they're bringing yeta?
  16. I'm going to try to make it, but have no idea what I'll bring yet.
  17. jethrodium

jethrodium Savant (250) California Mar 25, 2010

If my flight arrives on time I should be there with a couple of 32 oz growlers from Tired Hands.
  18. BenSw

BenSw Aficionado (100) California Apr 5, 2012

I'll be there but it might be closer to 7pm
  19. Doesn't look like I'll be able to make this one unfortunately. Thought I would be able to, but not being in the office since the 22nd means I'll be buried at work :(
  20. My friend and I can bring cigar city humidor IPA, guava grove, and probably something else. Sounds OK?

PS- don't worry, no more garlic beer...
  21. stupac2

Hi guys, turns out Steve (AKA "the mac and cheese guy") isn't going to make it, so someone else will need to get it if we're going to. How many people would be in if I (read: my girlfriend) picked some up? It would be a bit more expensive as we are not former employees. So if people would be interested we'll do that. I'd need ~3-4 people to chime in here to make it worth it.
  22. stupac2

Okay, not enough response for mac and cheese, so not bringing it. I have figured out that I'll be bringing a Dark Lord (WOOO), something from Alpine, and maybe some other things.
  23. Dark Lord? Did you suffer a head injury and not tell us?
  24. stupac2

Got it as an extra, need to inflict it upon share it with as many people as possible. Plus it's 2012, which is a new vintage tick! Hurray ticks!
    EBbrewpunx likes this.
  25. Gilmango

Good times, as always, thanks for hosting Beer Rev and to all who brought interesting beers to share. If anyone has a list (or took photos) that'd be nice to see.
  26. stupac2

I have this from Untappd:

Pure Hoppiness
    Duet
    Humidor Series: India Pale Ale
    Billy the Mountain
    Singel Hop Saison, Motueka
    Guava Grove
    Citra Bomb
    Kriek Ale (2011)
    Rye da Tiger
    Domo
    Big Sound - Bourbon Barrel Aged
    White (2012)
    Serendipity
    Dark Lord (2012)
    Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout
    Imperial Stout 2011
    Bourbon Barrel Quad (2009)
    Gouden Carolus Noel (Christmas)

I definitely feel like I missed some things, that doesn't seem very long.
  27. I missed checkins on a few of those, but I also got:

Cismontane Brut du Sauvin
    Bruery Barrel Autumn Maple 2010
    BA Speedway 2012
    and of course, the always-anticipated Gilmanfruitsour (this time in an emptied Alpine bottle!)
    EBbrewpunx likes this.
  28. stupac2

Right, I had a couple of those, and of course there was Gilman's sour (which was honestly probably the best beer of the night).
    HaveUSeenMyCellar and flaran like this.
  29. Gilmango

Thanks for the list (and the nice words about my sour), I really liked the Tired Hands Domo (dark saison) and the Cismontane Brut du Sauvin, Serendipity was fun too, and I thought that the BF AM 2010 (barrel fermented) was the best AM I've had (ageing helped).