1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bay Area Tasting #18: Thursday January 31st @6PM (at Beer Revolution)

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by stupac2, Jan 17, 2013.

1. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Hey cats and kittens, as I mentioned in the last one we have EPIC EVENT CLUSTERFUCK next month. The tasting was supposed to be on the 3rd, which is the Superb Owl, so I'd expect our already meager Sunday attendance to dwindle to nothing. The first Thursday of February is the start of Beer Week, and trying to do this then would be, uh, stupid. So I think our best option is to move it forward to the last Thursday of January. So it'll be at Beer Revolution on Thursday January 31st @6PM. If for some reason this turns out to be a terrible decision, let me know.

Now back to our regularly scheduled boilerplate:

Bring a bottle or two (try not to bring more than 2 750's equivalent of beer, unless you want to bring some home) or buy something there. Actually, buy something there anyway, a bottle or something on tap, because Beer Rev doesn't need to generously host us and we should show them we appreciate it.

And remember, DO NOT OPEN BOTTLES YOURSELF, you MUST take them to the bar to be opened by a Beer Rev employee. This is the law. Beer Revolution doesn't have to host us, please don't make hosting hard on them in any way.

If you have any questions just let me know!
  2. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Well whaddya know, I have the day off from work for once. I will be there with a nice surprise. Does anyone have a bottle of Trader Joe's 2011 Vintage Ale?
    bignuke61 likes this.
  3. I very well might, let me check later and even if I can't make it, I'll make sure to get it there in my stead.
    gshak and afrokaze like this.
  4. As always, work schedule dependent. If I show up/my Sour BIF box has arrived by then, I'll probably bring something from that.
  5. Going to try and finally make it to one of these!
  6. stupac2

Oh, yes, we're less than a week away. Anyone else planning on coming?
  7. afrokaze

Will be there, looking forward to that vertical!
  8. Strong maybe depending on time I get out of work. Not sure what I'd bring...
  9. TJ's '11 Vintage has been located so I'll make sure it gets there even if I can't.
    afrokaze likes this.
  10. aw, you don't want to do it during beer week? yer just no fun
    *rofl*
    FunkyMacGroovin likes this.
  11. I'm in for Thursday. I'll be bringing H.F., B.O.T. and a 50/50 Grand Cru Eclipse 2011. I'm going to need a few practice beers before Saturday. Drakes Hopocalypse release then back to Beer Rev for the anniversary party!
  12. stupac2

I didn't think you could ever make the Thursdays! Glad that's changed.
  13. popery

popery Savant (435) California Feb 19, 2008

I've got a growler of Double Mountain Rainier Kriek. I'm worried that it might be getting a bit flat, but there's almost no head space in the growler, and it was really tasty last year.
    Lakemonster and EBbrewpunx like this.
  14. nataku00

nataku00 Savant (400) California Apr 5, 2010

I'm leaning the opposite, since Saturday will be crazy with trying to hit up Drake's and Beer Revolution, so I don't know if I should attend a tasting two days beforehand. Decisions, decisions.
  15. stupac2

Beer week is the following week. You'll need the practice.
  16. afrokaze likes this.
  17. Surprise surprise, I can't make it.
  18. stupac2

BOOOO!
  19. nataku00

Well, practice it is. Probably going to be 30-45 min late. Now I need to find something to bring.
  20. i have 4 zombie dust bottles and a bomber of Dreadnaught, is this even gonna get me in the door, and also ive never done a tasting, whats the gist of it?
  21. bladerR

bladerR Aspirant (45) California Dec 5, 2012

I also would like to know what's involved in a tastings. I just came back from SoCal yesterday and have some Duet, Nelson and Pure Hoppiness from Alpine, a bottle of Kern River Just Outstanding and a bottle of Lokal Red to share if anyone would be interested.
    afrokaze likes this.
  22. stupac2

Show up, bring beer, drink beer. It's all pretty simple. There's no threshold for what's "good enough" to bring. If you have more specific questions I can answer those too.
  23. stupac2

Oh, I keep forgetting to mention, I'm planning on bringing Old Rasputin 11, 12, and 14. If anyone has a 15, feel free to bring it. (Same goes for Millennium and 10, but no one has those).
  24. Gilmango

Gilmango Savant (295) California Jul 17, 2007

I usually make the Thursday ones but not this time, enjoy.
  25. ok more specifically.....if i bring a bomber and 4 people want to try it, does that mean i automatically get to taste their bottles? whats the politics like. whats the vibe? do you walk around asking people if you can get a taste of their beer, for a taste of my beer? i seriously am in the dark on these tastings.
  26. stupac2

Everyone tastes everyone's bottles. We open stuff up (BY A BARTENDER AT THE BAR), pour a bit, pass it around. If you show up you'll see how it works in about 5 minutes.
  27. nataku00

Bringing a Frangelic Mountain Brown (never had it, and the thread in the main forums about how polarizing it is intrigued me) and last year's regular Behemoth.
  28. If there is a corner store close I'll go get some vanilla ice cream. That beer makes for the best beer float ever. I'll have a Bolt Cutter with me also. Haven't had it yet and just drinking the Ba Bigfoot I'm interested to try it.
  29. stupac2

If you're serious about beer floats, I just got a FMB in a trade and could bring it so we have plenty.
  30. afrokaze

the traffic getting to Fremont BART was atrocious, I'll be there around 7. Don't go opening too many walez without me.
  31. Missed due to work :(

I WILL make it to one of these one of these days