Germany Bayernbiere Bought and Drunk

Discussion in 'Europe' started by boddhitree, Dec 15, 2012.

1. “I'm going to have to hide them in the cellar or they'll be all gone before I've got the chance to write them up.” Are you telling me that the girlfriend doesn’t know where your cellar is!?! I think you need a better plan than that!;)

Cheers!

boddhitree likes this.
  2. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Advocate (515) Germany Jul 31, 2011

Boddhitree, what do you know about "Kupfer" beers? What style would you consider them? I tried a Kupfer from Wippra brewing out of the Harz Mountain area (Google them, the webpage isn't loading for me for some reason). I really liked it but I don't see too many "Kupfer" beers around here.

3. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (640) Germany Apr 13, 2008

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  4. Gutes_Bier

Yeah, I don't see it as a Dunkel. I haven't had very many Vienna Lagers so I wouldn't know. Seems like the best category for it, though.

boddhitree likes this.
  5. boddhitree

Shhhh! Don't tell her we have a cellar. Just kidding. She knows, just I'm "in charge of organizing" everything down there, mostly b/c it's a tiny brick, claustrophobic-enducing, barrel vault room, of which our apartment has only half of for us. And more than half the cellar space is given over to my beer ingredients, homebrew beer bottles (more than 70% empty today), and it's locked, requiring extra effort to even get in there. The washing machine is down there, too, but it's in a separate room and wouldn't tempt her. Hahaha, evil, aren't I?

Now, I'm brewing a super hoppy beer from a recipé I got in BYO. The article is here.
    First, I scaled the recipe up to 45L. I kept the hop profile but modified the malt and yeast portions:
    ABV: 5.5%, OG: 1.054 (BeerSmith's est.)

• 1 kg - Abbey malt
    • .5kg - Vienna malt
    • .46kg - Carared malt
    • .5kg - Table sugar (sucrose)
    • traded Nugget for Apollo hops (can't get Apollo here)
    • dropped the 2ndary hopping... doing 2ndary is just an invitation to an infection in Germany.
    • West Yorkshire yeast to give it a fruitier profile.
    • (I can't believe I used 250g of Simcoe for this recipe!)
    Anyway, why is that even important what I'm brewing, right? Actually, I wanted to show how I like to innovate and hope German brewers do, too. I took a strictly IPA recipe, used more traditional malts from Belgium and Europe, then went more with a traditional British yeast. It might be awful or wonderful, but it certainly will be hoppy and citrusy!

While waiting for the specialty grains to steep, I jumped back into STAHLSTURM's STASH.
    [​IMG]is the brewer, which is attached to St. Katarinenspital Hospital.
    He dropped off their Helles, which won this award:
    [​IMG]
    Here's a pic of the bottle I "borrowed" from kronenkorkkatalog.de:
    [​IMG]
    And another I borrowed from
    Beer Drinker With A Triathlon Problem:
    [​IMG]
    So, what's it look like for real? Bright white head, gold, deep rich gold, clear as a bell and bubbling incessantly almost like a Kristalweizen. Aroma is all Pils malt, slightly caramel but also a background of hops there too.
    The taste is almost a Bohemian Pils, but maltier, drier. The mouthfeel is thick but not as thick as a Czech Pils, and has a strong backbone that won't feel thin after the bottom of the glass. The flavor is all Pils malts, no sweetness at all. It's a tad bitter but with a aftertaste that is sweet-citrus, maybe a sign of Saaz hops? This citrus is only in the aftertaste, far far far back on the tongue. If you swallow it too quickly, you won't even taste it, but if you let it slowly glide over the back of the tongue, wow, it's there. I see why this won the award! That aftertaste, though is fleeting, making you desire more, but making you wonder if it's only imagination at play, yet I drink it again, and there it is... interesting. I'm not normally a fan of Pils/Helles, but this is a süffiges Bier! Don't tell Herrburgess or Stahlsturm, please,;) but I really like it! It's bitter up front and in the middle but not in the aftertaste, leaving each swallow with the desire for more. I would pay DHL to bring this to me once a month.

oops, there goes the timer, gotta sparge,... sparge, sparge baby.

6. boddhitree

The wort is boiling, so I need to spring back into STAHLSTURM's STASH. Maybe another Helles... still not my favorite style, but the Spital Helles makes me want to compare another brewer's version to see if it was simply great or average for the area. Pouring into the glass is a Eichhofener Helles from Schlossbrauerei Eichhofen from the town of Eichenhofen. Color is golden but not as intense yellow-gold as Spital's. It's almost pale, has a large bright white head, too. Aroma is the same as above, very Pils malty with some bitter hops around it.
    First, a photo:
    [​IMG]
    now for a close up of the logo:
    [​IMG]
    The flavor is slightly sweet, bitter and a hint of lemons in the background all in one swallow. Up front is bitter-sweet, middle is maltier and bitter and a slight sourness, back is where the lemon aftertaste comes. The sweetness and lemon are strongest on the aftertaste, yet while it swirling in the mouth it stays bitter. It's also a tad on the thinner side for a mouthfeel, but not drier. I'm not sure if I like this one as much. You'd think all these complex flavors would add up to more, but it's feels more like their not all in sync. Overall, a really good beer, but it's both a tad too bitter and a tad too sweet. I can taste the lemony aftertaste strongly after I swallow, but sadly that's the best part. Again, don't get me wrong. It's a damn good beer! Just a little underwhelming after having drunk the Spital Helles.

7. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Savant (430) Germany Mar 21, 2005

That place has been out of commission for years. It's called the "Regensburger Weißbräuhaus" and is under new management.

8. boddhitree

While I'm waiting for the whirlpool hops to sit (while I stir), my next Helles from STAHLSTURM's STASH is from Schierlinger town, a Original Shierlinger Hell, brewed by Spezial-Brauerei Schierling. Their website only mentions a Pils, but here's proof that I'm not the only one to have drunk this, eh?
    [​IMG]
    fromNIKOLAEV SERGEY's page, who's from St.PETERSBURG, RUSSIA.
    Not many other pics online, but here:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Opened to find a clear, dark golden beer under a bright white head. The aroma is like the above 2 Helles, Pils-malty with some hops coming through. The flavor tends more towards bitter with some sour initially, also sweetness of Pils malts comes strongly through. It's both sweet and bitter, but with much less lemon aftertaste, actually about half of the other two above. They used a different, higher Alpha Acid hop. The back of the bottle mentions "from the Hallertau," so Hallertauer hops, but which one, Hersbrücker or Mittelfrüh? Nevertheless, it's a very good beer. Near the end of the bottle, I'm getting more lemon hints and less sour flavor, but the same bitterness. Mmmm, not bad, very good but not better than Spital's by a long shot.

JackHorzempa and Gutes_Bier like this.
  9. Gutes_Bier

Hofbräu Maibock: It's officially Maibock season! The Hobräu's arrived a week or two ago, priced to move. The only other Maibock I saw at my local place was Monchhof's, which I have yet to try. Picked up a singleton of the HB Maibock and had it last night. 500 ml bottle poured into a 400 ml Willibecher.

It was a nice, clear copper pour with fluffy white head settling quickly to a ring. I think there was a bit of a harsh finish to it that I didn't like, and at 7.2% ABV (!!) I'll chalk it up to the alcohol. This beer is stronger than Andechs' dopplebock (!!) and yet still not sweet like the Andechs. A good brew, but I'll probably not run out to pick up a case (€13,99 plus free ceramic stein!).

[​IMG]

I'll start with a grade of 3/5, plus half a point for bringing back fond memories of the Klosterbräu Maibock and then minus a quarter point for making me sad that I'm not going to Bamberg and will not being drinking the Klosterbräu Maibock this year. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/929/2969

I gotta admit to what is already obvious, I'm kinda mailing this review in. 3.25/5

boddhitree likes this.
  10. Stahlsturm

A bit of trivia about the place in Schierling... The brewery was built as a second brewing facility for the Thurn Und Taxis brewery of Regensburg which used to be a big regional brewery until the cash strapped wife of the late Fürst (some odd noble title...) sold it to Paulaner who immediately closed the Regensburg facility (There's expensive student condos there now...) and planned to do the same to the (smaller) Schierling brewery. When some regional people with the help of Kuchelbauer in Abensberg stepped in and bought the place from Paulaner and have been running it on their own ever since.

The Schierling brewery is also of craft significance as the place where they developed (or rather, retro-brewed) the original Roggen Bier. If you want to, this is the place where german craft started because it was the first time in the 20th century that a German brewery dared using something else than Barley or Wheat.

They don't get to brew the Roggen anymore since Paulaner basically bought Thurn und Taxis for that and their rather extensive distribution network but they do well with their Pils (their flagship nowadays). The Hell is hardly advertised and hard to get even in Regensburg. Which is barely 15 miles away...

boddhitree likes this.
  11. Stahlsturm

Indeed. The wife and I were at a concert in Ingolstadt on Saturday (TANKARD if anyone cares...) and of course we went early to hit some brewshops on the way for some local beer and I also scored two Bock bottles from Nordbräu Ingolstadt and from "De Bassus Zu Sandersdorf" in Altmannstein. Funny side note, I googled the distance from our house to the venue in Ingolstadt and it came up as 66.6 km. How's that for an omen, hahahaha.

12. Tony, your IPA sounds really interesting. It reminds me of a one-off beer that Victory Brewing just recently released. I had one the other day and it was excellent. They are calling it Victory NATO IPA. The only details that I could find where: “An IPA with a truly unique combination of worldly ingredients from America, UK and Germany.”

Based upon my one tasting I would guess that NATO IPA used American aroma hops, an English yeast strain and German malts. It is very tasty.

It would appear that the brewers of Victory and you think alike!

Prost!

boddhitree likes this.
  13. boddhitree

Thank you for your praise. I've never had a beer from Victory, but except for the FfM water & Vienna malts (Weyermann), the Abbey malt is Belgium, so maybe it's a European Union IPA....mmmm, I like that name! EU IPA.
    BTW, I had a major disaster yesterday. The Gärballon, the 54L glass fermentation ballon-shaped glass vessel, exploded (!) while I was attempting to clean it. If you can imagine this completely full of water:
    [​IMG]
    In my shower, which is only big enough for 1/2 a person, and I mistakenly tipped it on it's side to empty the water. I had shards of glass in my hand and 8 deep cuts that required band aids to get them to stop bleeding. I do indeed bleed for my beer. Luckily, as this pic attests, I've got 2 Gärballons, so the EU IPA is racked and the yeast is pitched. I got it at around 40L, OG=1.050, so I estimate a 5.5% beer, possibly. Thanks Jack for the inspiration on the name!

14. boddhitree

You need to review them for us. And no excuse like, "my English isn't good enough," ok? If you're good enough to argue me to a draw, you're English is nearly perfect for reviewing beer.
    :p
    Why should that stop them from brewing a rye? There's no patent on it, or trademark, is there?

15. Stahlsturm

It's not my English I'm concerned about, I'm just not good at describing taste. In either Deutsch or English. And a "review" telling you "this is good stuff, I like it" in 4 different wordings isn't doing anyone any good. I'll never be a beer judge, I know that one, hahaha.

They may have signed some crappy contract forbidding them to do so now. I don't know for sure though, back then when that purchase happened there was not even a remote chance of someone else brewing Rye, they may have some right to solely do so within Germany. All speculation on my part though.

16. Stahlsturm

I knew you were passionate but Blood Sacrifice ? Aren't you taking this a tinsy-winsy step too far into the realm of heathen idolatry ? :)

17. boddhitree

I've got to review this beer before my g/f drinks it, too. We opened it up and loved the hell out of it.
    Guess who's? PAX PAX, baby. It's Pax Bräu's Black Gold: Lakritz Oatmeal Stout. And it's a WOW WOW beer.
    [​IMG]
    I blew up the pic so you can see the ingredients more clearly:
    [​IMG]
    He used Süssholzwurzel (literally, "sweetwood root") [licorice root]... probably threw it in the boil. Also, hops from 3 different continents.

First thing I notice in the glass - it's black, black, ZERO light gets through it, and it's like used motor oil, not even on the rims can light get through it. The foam is deep, dark brown. The aroma...OMG, it's so complex I don't know where to start: sweet licorice, some coffee, spicy peppery smells, but much more. Whatever you named, I would probably agree it's in the aroma.
    First it's thick as oil, but not sludgy, for it still glides easily over the tongue. The flavor is licorice in the front but not like the candy form. It's a tad spicy but not from the alcohol and not at all peppery. There's virtually no bitterness but it's not super sweet, either, just a hint of sweetness in the aftertaste, and it's not dry either, which makes me believe Andreas Seufert went less in the direction of an Irish stout, but went more like a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout direction, but Pax's is a tad thinner than Samuel Smith's. There's also a coffee- & toffee-like flavor mixing in. The hops add virtually no bitterness, but there's a lemony aftertaste that says Cascade and lends to the sweet aftertaste. Otherwise, the hops are barely noticeable, but that's good. The hops don't overwhelm; rather, they hide and complement so seamlessly that act more as balancing hops for sweetness. However, towards the end of the glass, I get more bitter notes from the hops. Every 3 or 4 sips, I discover a new flavor hiding under the others, but... my lord, overall, WOW WOW WOW, I'm in love.

18. Tony,

Firstly, I am very sorry to hear about your accident with the broken Gärballon. I am reticent to lecture you here but I would strongly encourage you to use plastic buckets for fermenting your beers. I have read too many horror stories (including yours now) about people getting hurt from broken glass. The good news (if you can view it that way) is that you only needed Band-Aids for your wounds. In other horror stories you hear about trips to the emergency ward and stiches of ungodly number. I personally will only ferment in plastic buckets; they are cheap and safe.

I also really, really liked your review of the Pax Brau Black Gold. This is an example where a brewer throws lots of complexity into a brew and all of the flavors meld and work together. When this happens, the description of WOW WOW WOW is totally warranted.

I was at a Real Ale Festival in Philadelphia yesterday where I drank lots of yummy cask ales. My preferred beer style on cask is Bitter Ales and there were plenty of yummy Bitter Ales. My favorite Bitter Ales were Victory Uncle Teddy Bitter and Yards Philly’s Best Bitter but my favorite beer of the event was from Dock Street Brewery. Dock Street called that beer Teuton Porter. Below is the description from the menu they handed out for the event:

Dock Street “Teuton Porter” – A hybrid of two distinct styles: a top fermented Porter and a bottom fermented German Schwartzbier. Dark brown to almost black in color. Crisp and smooth with notes of chocolate & a touch of coffee. 4.8% ABV.

When I go to beer festivals I normally only drink a particular beer once so that I can better experience more of the other beers that are offered. I broke this rule for the Teuton Porter and I actually got three fills of this beer since it was so damned good. I give this beer two WOWs.

I am guessing that the Porter of the Teuton Porter blend is the regular beer from Dock Street called Man Full of Trouble Porter:

Man Full of Trouble Porter – A nod to the only pre-revolutionary tavern still standing in Philadelphia. This London style porter was brewed with the old world in mind. Black and chocolate malts create its deep mahogany appearance and creamy espresso like flavors. A blend of East Kent Goldings and Fuggles hops lend a delicate earthy presence.

Philadelphia during the revolutionary war timeframe was renowned for the Porters that were brewed there. George Washington was a big fan of the Porters brewed by Robert Hare’s Brewery.

Since the Dock Street Teuton Porter is a blend of a London Porter and a German Schwartzbier I guess this is another example of a NATO/EU beer?

Cheers!

boddhitree likes this.
  19. boddhitree

I thought it over. With lots of American hops, a British yeast, and Austrian and Belgian malts, what do y'all think of......
    Axis & Allies IPA? Or is that too corny.

20. Well I don’t think its corny but I feel a little bad about Austria being ‘labeled’ an Axis power; they were basically bullied by Hitler to be annexed in 1938.

Cheers!

Edit: Since we are discussing Allies & Axis I have an interesting story. During the battle of the bulge it was noticed that a US soldier (from the 101st Airborne Division) was bringing beer from a bar in Bastogne to buddies in the field hospital. He used his helmet as beer glass and he made many runs from the bar to the field hospital. This event became legendary and a Belgian café today: “serves a locally brewed strong ale called "Airborne" that's served in a mug shaped like a WWII U.S. Army helmet.”

Bierman9 likes this.
  21. boddhitree

The Vienna malt is made by Weyermann, a German co.... the Austrians were quite willing to join the Germans, in fact, I've heard there are/were still many latent Nazis running around as politicians just a few years ago.

steveh likes this.
  22. Stahlsturm

The pictures of flag waving Austrians greeting the German Wehrmacht with flowers and kisses sure could've fooled me... :p

Seriously though, I'm sure there was dissent but it was a long standing wish of "Deutsch-Österreich" to (re)join the rest of Germany since 1918 and in the aftermath of WW I it was actually one of the provisions of Versailles that Austria may NOT join Germany, against the expressed wishes of vast parts of the population. But nono, that mustn't be. So ethnic Germas ended up in Czechia, Italy, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania and the playfield for WW II was set. Many serious historians consider those 2 World Wars so related that they speak of an European Civil War which basically lasted from 1914 to 1945, with lasting implications into our times.

On an even less beer related side note, when one looks at the proposals for the future of multi-ethnic Austro-Hungary one cannot fail to see just how much was proposed back then that we now have in the European Union. Had they listened to the Austrians back then we could've been spared a hell of trouble all the way up to today (Kosovo, need I say more...?). Just pray you'll never find yourself on the wrong end of "Vae Victis"...

JackHorzempa, steveh and boddhitree like this.
  23. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poobah (1,070) New Hampshire Dec 20, 2001 Verified

I have been to the Brasserie Lamborelle and had the Airborne bier.... not bad (my review is here somewhere on BA, from OCT 2011). I took a pic of myself with the "helmet" of bier and have sent it to Mr Vin Speranza, the Vet in the story. He was thrilled.... Currahee!!

http://www.sj-r.com/bakke/x15993861...ldiers-WWII-experience-became-Bastogne-legend

JackHorzempa likes this.
  24. I am glad that you sent that picture to Vincent Speranza. He was not a specific character in the HBO TV series Band of Brothers but I do think of him when I watch the episode (I have the Band of Brothers on DVD) where they are in Bastogne. It would have been cool if they added the story line of a soldier willing to dodge artillery shells so that he could bring some beer to his buddies in the field hospital to that episode.

Cheers!

Edit: Thanks for that link to the article! I originally read that story in a beer newspaper (Ale Street News?). I tried to find an on-line version of that article but I failed. Your google skills are better than mine.

25. steveh

steveh Champion (850) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

"She pours him one more, I'm gonna go out and get myself shot!"

(points to whoever can name the movie, extra points for naming the character ;))

26. steveh

Aww -- Bierman, I'm just a little disappointed -- this is right in your wheelhouse!

27. Bierman9

Wasn't ringing a bell, so I used the googles.... Pop in Battleground. Actually have only seen it once... A bit cheesy, like Stalag 17...

28. steveh

Aw man, now I'm really disappointed! 2 all-time classic flicks!

In Battleground (a Battle of the Bulge flick), Pops Stayzak and crew is visiting one of their friends at the Bastogne church being used as a hospital and a nurse is dolling out Cognac to the wounded as "anesthesia" when Pops utters the line above.

This actually happened too (the movie was written by a vet), so the "beer run" wasn't all too unique.

BTW -- there's a small homage to Battleground in Band of Brothers where Guarnere comes back from the hospital just before the Bulge happens -- they tell him about a football game to be played on Christmas morning against the "sky train boys." A big reference to the unit in Battleground and the football game that was postponed by the attack. So Spielberg must not think the old flick is "cheesy!" ;)

(sorry -- back to beer...)

29. herrburgess

herrburgess Champion (925) South Carolina Nov 4, 2009 Verified

Back to beer you say? How about this: A Kieferla, smoked pine cone beer from Bamberger Schlüssel-Bräu...

[​IMG]

boddhitree likes this.
  30. Man...now you made me hungry for Coberger Brats. Cooked over pinecones. Not cool man And how is that beer?

31. steveh

Do they actually call it Tannenzäpfle? And Rothaus allows it?

32. Bierman9

Some of the dialogue is cheesy in those 2.... Good flicks, on the whole, though...

sergeantstogie likes this.
  33. Bierman9

[​IMG][​IMG]

Airborne!! Currahee! ;-)

JackHorzempa likes this.
  34. herrburgess

herrburgess Champion (925) South Carolina Nov 4, 2009 Verified

Haven't had it. Just saw it on the Cafe Abseits site. I'd give it a try if I found it, but that'd mean tearing myself away from my old haunts for long enough to do so ;)

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  35. steveh

Wait a minute, what dialogue is cheesy? :D ;)

Bierman9 likes this.
  36. boddhitree

I need to get into STAHLSTURM's STASH again. Today it's Brauerei Berghammer again (they had the Kupfer before), but it's their Bräu-Bock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The color is dark red copper with some brown, a sign of Melanoiden or CaraRed malt. Aroma is caramel malts, very malty, and a slight roasted, fruity smell. It's thick, love then way it wraps itself like a thick warm blanket around the mouth. The initial taste is full-on malts, an attack of roasted malt in the front, sweet as all get out. Love it,... and then the surprise. Smoked malt! It's normally not my favorite malt taste, but here's it's wonderful. Sweet malt, caramel around smokiness. There's a bitterness in the back, with a tad sourness over top. Yummy. I have to say reminds me a lot of Pax Bräu's Vollbier, but this is sourer and bitterer. Overall, a great beer, very good, great even. If it were closer to 5% rather than 7%, I'd like it even more. But... I could drink think every day.

37. steveh

LOL! Truer words were never spoken!

Please, please don't take a pic of this in a glass -- I have the feeling it's true beer porn!

38. boddhitree

Here's the next beer to emerge from STAHLSTURM's STASH, the Bockbier from Brauerei Kneitinger, Regensuburg. [​IMG]
    As an aside, there are still about 10+ more beers for me to try, and my g/f hasn't gone into the cellar to attack the stash. Beer, maybe it's just this way for women, but it's out of sight, out of mind.
    Back to the Bock in hand:
    [​IMG]
    Color is dark brown to amber-red with hints of orange in the light. Aroma is typical Pils/Münchner malt, very sweet with caramel forward, a slight citrusy/lemony aroma... a hint of hops in the nose, too. It's 6.5%.
    In the initial drink you can taste the alcohol on the front of the tongue, a very slight burning sensation all over the tongue. It's very caramel & malt forward in taste, slightly sour in the back with not a strong but noticeable bitterness from Noble hops - in the back and aftertaste only, though. The mouthfeel is thick and süffig, inviting you to drink more. It comes across a little like a caramel and beer flavored brandy. On the sides of the tongue I get black or deeply roasted malt bitterness, too. Overall, very good, very süffig, like drinking a malt, caramel, alcohol induced candy.

Gutes_Bier and JackHorzempa like this.
  39. “my g/f hasn't gone into the cellar to attack the stash. Beer, maybe it's just this way for women, but it's out of sight, out of mind.”

Or is it because of the creepy spiders down there!?!

Cheers!

40. boddhitree

Haha, hadn't thought of that! I think it's more inertia and it's quite musty and claustrophobic down there. And… I told her those beers were hands off. I'd share them, but only that. You must keep this last part top secret!