Dismiss Notice
Sneak peek! BeerAdvocate magazine #104 (September 2015) featuring Leah & Oscar from Highland Brewing in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more ...
Dismiss Notice
Join The Buzz! Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest BeerAdvocate updates delivered to your inbox.

Germany Bayernbiere Bought and Drunk

Discussion in 'Europe' started by boddhitree, Dec 15, 2012.

1. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (640) Germany Apr 13, 2008

Should I make a post at the end of the year where I group all the Pax beer's I've reviewed. I'd do each beer as a separate post, but to put them all together? Or do the same with my Regensburg beer reviews? Or the others? So then, it's easy to view them all without your "chatty" :p comments. Anyone like this idea, to consolidate them to make them all easier to find later? Hit LIKE if you agree, please.

herrburgess likes this.
  2. whatsgoody

whatsgoody Savant (270) Vermont Nov 16, 2012

Separate threads might be useful as an alternative, grouped however you like, so that the consolidated reviews are up front rather than on page 15 or whatever of this thread.This thread is an achievement as it is, and if you're thinking of organizing then separate threads might be nice. Thanks for all of the effort and wonderful reviews

3. boddhitree

Thank you. And Go BVB!

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  4. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Advocate (525) Germany Jul 31, 2011

I'll be pulling for the Yellow-Blacks myself!

5. whatsgoody

whatsgoody Savant (270) Vermont Nov 16, 2012

Good to hear! I found during my 4 months living in Bad Homburg this past fall that it was unacceptable to root for bayern, even though it was by far my favorite state to visit. So I've been on the Dortmund bandwagon throughout their Champions League run.

6. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Savant (430) Germany Mar 21, 2005

I think the conversation around the reviews is an important part of what makes this group so I think it should just stay the way it is. I'd be for the topic getting pinned instead since it is a very nice introduction to both the Germany group and to the beers we all like. It'd be less work for Tony too :)

7. Gutes_Bier

Well well well, what showed up in the mail today?!

Let's get to it.

Well, OK, one point of business before we get to the review. Here is the interesting rear label of the Wlderer (which means "poacher"(?) auf Deutsch):

[​IMG]

Besides the obligatory references to tradition and the RHG, it notes that the Wilderer is "ungeschminkt, also naturtrub und unfiltriert", meaning "not gussied up, thus naturally cloudy and unfiltered". They talk of no use of chemical additives and no artificial preservatives. Really in one sentence they are able to convey the image of the totally natural, countryside brewpub. It certainly raises one's hopes. It continues in their ingredients: not "water", rather "our own spring water". Not "yeast", rather "natural yeast" (do they mean wild yeast? Hmm...) No "brewed on" date to note, but the "best before" date is a good two months out.

OK, now let's get to it...

[​IMG]

Ecker Bräu Wilderer Dunkel: 5.5% ABV, Best Before 29.07.2013. 500 ml bottle poured (unfortunately:() into my 400 ml Willibecher. No cloudiness to speak of, interestingly enough. A relatively clear (to my expectations after reading the label), very deep chestnut brown with a nice head that settles down quickly. Let's have a sip. Simply put, this is a very good Dunkel. It would be foolish of me to guess what hops are used, but they are definitely traditional German(-ic). I'm reminded of the hoppy German pils I recently had. I'm reminded of the hops in a Spaten Helles. It's a very German tasting beer, if that makes sense, but it's wrong to focus on the hops - they are not really even noticeable to me up front. This is a well balanced, easy drinkin' Dunkel. I don't know that I'd put this in the Boddhitree WOW zone, but it's a very good beer. I'm happy to say I have eight more waiting for me.

Final verdict: 4.00 + 0.25 bonus for the little poacher guy for a total of 4.25/5.00

Cheers!

8. einhorn

einhorn Savant (480) California Nov 3, 2005 Verified

Why not simply review on BA beer reviews?

9. boddhitree

Your reviews are getting much better! The teacher approves. No, seriously, that might be the best review you've done to date. Keep up the good drinking and descriptions. By German tasting, are you referring to the malt flavors? If it's what I think, then Münchner or Wienermalz, and Carafa malts sound like they were used. Münchnermalz or Wienermalz have that specific "bready" or "toasted caramel" flavor common in many bayrische beers. Or do they have more of a Pils malt flavor?

To Einhorn: 1st, putting Regensburg beers in the beer review section makes it ridiculously tedious in hunting them all down, and 2nd, by organizing them as one uninterrupted thread, anyone wanting to travel to the Regensburg area would have a handy reference of what to drink all in one convenient location. Besides, more than half of what I reviewed aren't even listed on BA's site, and I haven't reviewed enough beers to be privileged enough to add them. I don't feel like rating more Fernsehbiers to reach their magic number, so F them, eh? Finally, these reviews are mainly for those interested in German beers, and I'm not mixing them up with others (when I read their reviews, I sometimes doen't know whether to laugh or cry) who really have no clue or perspective about German beers.

Ditto for Pax beers: none of what I reviewed are listed on BA's site, and I haven't reviewed enough beers to be privileged enough to add them.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  10. Gutes_Bier

Thanks for the kind words! I still feel like I'm bluffing my way through the reviews, but at the same time I do feel like I'm starting to get a little better at it. The German descriptor was more in reference to the hop profile, I don't really know anything about various malts and what they should taste like. It is funny, though, that a Dunkel would remind me a little of a Pils or a Helles but it was almost certainly from the hops. Like I said, though, I'm still mostly bluffing my way through. :D

Cheers!

11. boddhitree

A dunkeles is basically a "dark" Pils. In other words, the main malt would be Carapils or Pils (see Weyermann's list) they throw in a bit of black or carafa as a colorizer, which alter the flavor little but add color mostly. If hops are more weighted than malts, then a Pils-like beer is what you drank. If the malts are slightly stronger, than it's more of an Export, both of which can be made darker/dunkler by adding a small percentage of black malt.

Then, if you add a majority of Münchner, Wiener, Amber, Carafas as the malt, it becomes more of a bayrische style like a Helles or other beer.
    Does that help?

12. Gutes_Bier

Sort of, and thank you. Are you using Pils and Helles interchangeably here? I have eight more of these, so I'm looking forward to determining if this is more malty or more hoppy. There was a distinct hop presence all the way through, but definitely not as hoppy as the Pils I had the day before. At 5.5%, I'd put it in the Export category, but that's based on nothing but ABV. The Pils and Helles that I've seen usually don't range up that high.

13. boddhitree

Sorry, I had to repost my last post before I was finished. I had a student pop in unexpectedly. What I meant to write was...if you add a majority of Münchner, Wiener, Amber, Carafas as the malt, it becomes more of a bayrische style like a Helles, which is sometimes a maltier version of a Pils, or a Märzen or Bock styles. Unfortunately, the brewers in Bayern use many of these terms interchangeably without regard to the BA or BJCP guidelines, which makes sense since they were doing their thing long before Americans tried to out-organize the Germans here with an external classification system. Have you noticed on German sites to purchase beer, you see categories like Vollbier? I've always wondered where that fits in the BJCP guidelines.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  14. Gutes_Bier

My boy is napping so I'm able to respond quickly! :)

I've always found it intriguing when I come across things like "Vollbier", "Landbier", or more recently "Kupferbier". Vollbier seems to be just another word for Helles/Export, and Kupferbier seems to be a Vienna Lager style. I never figured out what a Landbier is, though.

15. boddhitree

Saw this today on Biershop-Bayern's website: a 9 bottle Bamberg packet! What do y'all think?
    Sorry about a lack of translations from German.

Price: 18,90 €
    Inkl. 19% MwSt.
    zzgl. Versandkosten
    4,20 € pro 1 Liter (l)
    [​IMG]
    Brauerei Wagner
    96117 Merkendorf
    Kellerbier Naturtrüb
    Das ungespundete Lagerbier ist eine Spezialität die es nur in Bamberg und seinem Landkreis gibt. Mit einem Stammwürzegehalt von 12,7 % ist es ein sehr kernig schmeckendes Bier. Der Alkoholgehalt beträgt 5,3 %. Auf Grund der ungespundeten Lagerung ist es ein Kohlensäure armes Bier. Was es süffig aber vor allem sehr magenfreundlich macht.
    Eine gekonnte Hopfengabe aus Aromahopfen machen es zur einer sehr beliebten Bier der Brauerei Wagner.

[​IMG]
    Brauerei Spezial96052 Bamberg
    Rauchbier Lagerbier
    Unser Lagerbier ist die bekannteste Rauchbiersorte aus unserem Spezialitätenangebot. Das bernsteinfarbige Bier mit seinem feinem, mildem Rauchgeschmack lässt auch Skeptiker zum überzeugten Rauchbierfan werden. Der Stammwürzgehalt dieses Bieres beträgt ca.12% - daraus resultiert der Alkoholgehalt mit ca.4,7%.
    [​IMG]
    Mahrs-Bräu
    96050 Bamberg
    Mahrs Bräu A U

Ungespundet, ungefiltert und unverschämt gut. Halt a U, wie es bei uns heißt. Man hat ja schließlich nicht ewig Zeit zum Bestellen. Und was kommt auf den Tisch, wenn man ein U ordert? Eine ganz besondere, hefetrübe Bierspezialität mit vollmundig-weichmalzigem Charakter. Angenehm herb und mit wenig Kohlensäure ist es ein Bier, das zur Brotzeit genauso gut passt wie zum entspannten Feierabend. Hat da einer „Kultbier“ gesagt? Naja, uns soll´s recht sein. Ach ja, „ein“ U, kann man natürlich auch sagen. Aber die Erfahrung zeigt, dass es selten bei einem bleibt.

[​IMG]
    Privatbrauerei Reh
    96123 Lohndorf
    Zwick´l
    Das naturtrübe Kellerbier, ein Bier wie wir es mögen.
    Ungefiltertes, naturtrübes Kellerbier, gut gehopft, mit mittelherben Aroma.
    Stammwürze 11 %
    Alkoholgehalt: 4,9 %
    [​IMG]
    Brauerei Keesmann
    96050 Bamberg
    Herren Pils
    Ein Pils der Extraklasse, nach überliefertem Familien-Rezept gebraut. Seinen edelherben Geschmack verdankt es sorgsam ausgewählten Hopfensorten.
    Alkoholgehalt: 4,8%
    [​IMG]
    Schlossbrauerei Reckendorf
    96182 Reckendorf
    Lagerbier Hell
    Unser helles Vollbier.
    Herrlich mild und vollmundig, die Hopfenbittere haben wir dezent
    betont. Insgesamt etwas leichter als unser Export.
    [​IMG]
    Beck Bräu
    96170 Trabelsdorf
    Kellerbier naturtrüb
    Unser Beck Kellerbier ist ein Naturbelassenes hefetrübes und unfiltriertes Zwickelbier, nach alter fränkischer Tradition gebraut.
    [​IMG]
    Brauerei Fässla
    96052 Bamberg
    Zwergla Bier
    Ein dunkles, fast mahagonifarbenes Bier, weich im Trunk, leicht malzig mit einem weichen und rundem Ausklang. Angenehm rezent mit einer verhaltenen Hopfennote.
    Stammwürze: 13,5%
    Alkohol: 6,0%
    [​IMG]
    Brauerei Kundmüller96191 Viereth-Trunstadt
    Urstöffla
    Unsere dunkle, kraftvolle Bierspezialität mit der besonderen Hopfennote. Handwercklich gebraut mit hochwertigen Rohstoffen aus kontrolliert biologischen Anbau.

InebriatedJoker and herrburgess like this.
  16. herrburgess

herrburgess Champion (925) South Carolina Nov 4, 2009 Verified

Good (sometimes great) beer. Pretty good deal. I'm assuming that this stuff will be fresh. I'd go for it.

17. Vollbier is just a ‘category’ of beer that defines beer strength (a certain range of alcohol). It is done for tax reasons.

Below is a definition provided for Vollbier on the German Beer Institute website:

“One of four German beer tax categories. Vollbier literally means "full" or "entire" beer. It contains 11 to 14% extract. This beer category holds about 99% market share in Germany. A completely fermented Vollbier usually has between 3 and 5.3% alcohol by volume. Pils, Helles and Weissbier (Hefeweizen) belong in this category.”

Another beer style that is a Vollbier is Kolsch.

Cheers!

boddhitree and Gutes_Bier like this.
  18. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poobah (1,070) New Hampshire Dec 20, 2001 Verified

I thought you could add them if you review at the same time, as opposed to just adding biers like the old days.... ??

19. steveh

steveh Champion (885) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

A good Dunkel should have a decent balance of hop bitterness to offset the sweetness of the malts, but that bitterness shouldn't bring it into a Pils range at all -- the Munich malt should be the king here giving the beer that true liquid bread character.

On the other hand, some Dunkels will range toward a more roasted malt character that can give a sense of bitterness to the flavor too, but not that hop bitterness you find in Pilsner.

I can still remember the Dunkel I enjoyed at the H-B in Munich; rich, bready, smooth, starting mildly sweet and ending soft to dry. That's been my benchmark Dunkel for a long time.

herrburgess likes this.
  20. My personal expectations of a Munich Dunkel beer is that the beer be malt forward from the generous use of Munch Malt in the grain bill. I think that a well-made Munich Dunkel beer is ‘defined’ by the malty taste imparted by the Munich Malt.

To the best of my knowledge there is not a defined beer style of a Non-Munich Dunkel. Having stated that, there are Dunkel beers out there which are not ‘consistent’ with what I expect in a Munich Dunkel beer. The first such beer that comes to mind is Warsteiner Dunkel beer. I think that Warsteiner Dunkel beer is an OK beer but it lacks the malt depth that I personally look for in a Munich Dunkel beer.

For me, the epitome of a Munich Dunkel beer is Ayinger Altbarisch Dunkel. For my palate that beer is silky and full-bodied with malty flavors dominating. It also has a very faint smoke flavor with some chocolate flavors present. To round things out that beer has a perfect finish.

Cheers!

Domingo likes this.
  21. Domingo

Domingo Poobah (1,085) Colorado Apr 23, 2005 Verified Subscriber

Dunkel-wise, I think that many of the ones brewed outside of Bavaria aren't necessarily a beer in the "Munich Dunkel" lineage, but are simply just a dark lager of some sort.
    Some of them ARE pretty close to a dark pils, while a few (Pinkus) are definitely following the Bavarian model.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  22. boddhitree

I agree with Domingo. A Dunkel in Bayern isn't compatible to one outside it. What you Steve and Jack as "Dunkel" are describing are only in Bayern. Those are not representative of the majority of beers in Germany. Most beers in Germany don't compare at all. Most Dunkels in Germany are simply a colored Pils.

A funny analogy, Jack, would be as if I compared "Münchner Dunkels" to all German beers, which is like saying a Philly Steak is representative of all steaks in the USA. Are the Dunkels outside Bayern better or worse? In my opinion, worse, but they're still out there.

Here's Wikipedia:
    What does all this mean? Basically, anything darker than a Pils is called one of many different things, one of which is "dunkeles" that has nothing to do with BJCS styles. Just like the difference between Porter and Stout. It's whatever they want to call it, sometimes it's called Schwarzbier, sometimes Kupfer, sometimes Landbier. Anyway, it's not that important. Cheers.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  23. Domingo

While I know beer folks love to classify things by style, I don’t necessarily get the same vibe from the Germans…at least in everyday context.
    Because I’m not a German speaker, I try to pay attention to what people are saying/ordering so I don’t look like an idiot when ordering. Plus, it's just interesting to see how beer cultures can differ.
    In Munich, when you order a “helles” – you’re getting a beer from that style. Ditto with dunkel. Those are pretty much just assumed. Even at Augustiner, which produces 3 different pale colored lagers.
    However when I was in Bamberg, “helles” only seemed to really imply that I wanted something light in color. At Mahr’s and Faessla they both asked me if I meant a pils or a “lagerbier” which seemed to be their own name for the malty version of a pale lager. I’m sure an export would further complicate that order, but luckily most places only have 2 pale beers.
    With dunkels in Bamberg, I didn’t necessarily get additional questions, but their dunkel beers ranged from being nearly a schwarzbier to a light amber and closer to the export version of Paulaner Oktoberfest. While certainly of the same quality, those weren’t the same dunkels from Munich any more than Beck’s Dark is.

Then there’s always just calling something “starkbier.” At places that only had one, I noticed people tended to simply order by that classification, while if they had several strong beers, then people would order by the name of the beer. I can't recall anyone ordering stronger beers by the name of the style, like doppelbock or weizenbock.

boddhitree and steveh like this.
  24. steveh

If this is really true (though there are Schwarzbiers outside Bavaria that have far more body than Pils), it sounds like laziness. It also means I'll stick to Bavaria for the beers I like.

25. steveh

When I visited the Augustiner Keller on the eve of Frühlingsfest (some years ago) I asked if they had Maibock. The Ober told me, "No, but we have Starkbier." And I was served a Krug of Doppelbock.

At Schneider you just ordered Aventinus and had no problem getting what you wanted! ;)

26. Tony, thank you for that education. I now know that "Dunkel" has varying meanings based upon where you are in Germany.

Cheers!

Jack

27. boddhitree

Interesting stories. Very astute and observant, the mark of a wise man. I, however, have spent 99.9% of my life OUTSIDE of Bayern. My mother's family comes from Hessen, northeast of Ffm. I remembering ordering beers in the mid-80s, and your basic choice was 1) Pils 2) Export or 3) Dunkles. It was what was on tap, and going to a Lokal and getting anything from a bottle was unheard of. This why "Bavarian" beer is so foreign to me. It's also why your experience is as foreign to me as if it were Belgium. Bayern, as Stahlsturm's been reminding us, is a foreign land for Germans and vice versa. My perspective of beer drinking was built in Hessen, Hannover, Konstanz, and a few other stops while living in those places in the 80s. Unfortunately, I was a beer neophyte then; nonetheless, you have to remember that, again, 60 to 70% of all Germans don't live in Bayern and view it as I do, a weird place, nice to visit for vacation, but that's it. A "Bavarian" is synonymous with "hillbilly" or "redneck," though with different nuances, to the other parts of Germany. That's maybe why the Bayern have been blessed with being able to keep their great beer tradition. As an aside, FFM is populated with 80% NON-natives of this area, and most of the economic "refugees" (financial types, who bring lawyers and accountants with them) come often crom north or east of Germany. So I rarely meet "real" Bavarians. Sorry, this hasn't been about beer, but I'm trying to explain how I feel many Germans i have known over the decades would view, IMO, the beer discussions: that all stuff related to Bayern, beer included, is beyond their knowledge, and though its land mass is about 25% of Gemany, population-wise, and culturally, it's extremely foreign for the rest of Germans. Bayern reminds me a lot of my home state, Texas. :)

JackHorzempa likes this.
  28. boddhitree

Maybe a wise move, yet you're never going to go wrong there… except that Öttinger is produced in Bayern, and ask mjtierney2 much fun that can be ;-)

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  29. steveh

And the Berliners used to say that the only good thing about Bavaria is that it keeps them separate from Austria -- but old stereotypes are always such BS and ought to be quashed readily and without (pun?) prejudice.

I've been to Bavaria, Berlin, Swabia, Baden-Württemburg, the Rhineland and many places in-between and enjoyed all the cultures and all the people I met. Life's too short to start singling people out because they're different from your expectations.

boddhitree likes this.
  30. steveh

Too many better beers to be dwelling on the bad ones. Beck's originated in the North, but I won't hold that against them! ;)

31. Gutes_Bier

Sorry, late to the conversation here but I wanted to relay this story. I was staying in a hotel in Bamberg, and the attached restaurant, though closed (the dreaded German Ruhetag!), advertised Spezial's Dunkel in their window. So I went over to Spezial's takeaway window and asked for a Dunkel, which I hadn't had before. The woman there gave me a funny look, and the following conversation took place (in German):

Her: You mean our Rauchbier?
    Me: No, the Dunkel.
    Her: Our Rauchbier is a Dunkel.
    Me: OK, then I'll have that.

I cursed the hotel restaurant all the way home.

boddhitree likes this.
  32. steveh

No worse than the restaurant in Munich that had a table tent advertising "Hacker-Pschorr's Special Oktoberfest Bier." My friend and I said -- "Great! Maybe it'll be the Amber Märzen* too?!"

Turned out to be the H-P Weizen at Oktoberfest special prices. Oh well, we like that too! ;)

*This was at the beginning of the Wiesn Märzen days and we were hunting for Amber.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  33. Domingo

Somewhat related - I ran into the Paulaner amber Märzen in Munich in 2 different places. They randomly had bottles of it in the Deutsches Museum cafe, and Paulaner Im Tal (across the street from the Weissesbrauhaus) had it on tap.

steveh likes this.
  34. steveh

We found it at the Seehaus in the Englischer Garten on our last trip over -- vom Faß too.

Oh, and that same place with the H-P special had Spaten Amber Märzen on tap too -- our last night in Munich and we finally found it around the corner from our hotel!

35. boddhitree

What's this mysterious German word AMBER you keep using? Funny, I've never seen an Amber anything in German. Bernstein, yes, but an Amber Märzen? What is this mystery brew? ;)

steveh likes this.
  36. steveh

I can't remember which label, H-P Oktoberfest I think, over here has a little tagline that reads Amber Märzen. Read it and weep! :D

And actually, the Regensburg Märzens I get are Amber -- more positive feedback for Bayern! :)

37. Gutes_Bier

After a couple of miscues, my 2nd box finally arrived. I'll be drinking well this week! More later...

[​IMG]

38. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Savant (430) Germany Mar 21, 2005

Are you certain about that ? I don't taste much Pils in most of the Dunkel I drink.

steveh likes this.
  39. boddhitree

Before I head off to see the USA (Phiily & NYC to be exact), I thought I'd give a report of the latest of the Pax Bräu's monthly BierAbo. June's, or this month's beer is a real summer beer: Bière Blanche. It's basically a Belgian Witbier, with listed ingredients as "brew malt," wheat, Emmer malt, orange peels, coriander, hops and Szechuan pepper. You can see that from these label shots below.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I got it in the mail last week, but I haven't had the chance to try it.

Here's a pic of the label directly from Pax's FB site, though this is probably last year's label... notice the lack of ingredients listed:
    [​IMG]

Here's what Andreas Seufert wrote on FB 3 days ago (my translation):

Now a pic of the beer in the glass. Notice below the wonderful bubbles. They come up continuously from the nucleation points like a Weizen or a good Belian Wit. It's cloudy, bottle conditioned,... may harvest the yeast myself... orange with some browns in the color. No Belgian lacing on the inside of the glass, though. Yet the bubbles just keep getting replaced on the rim of the beer,... what a beautiful site:
    [​IMG]

So... drinking it....

The aroma is wonderful! Peppery, orange, wheat yeast like a Weizen (banana and bubblegum), coriander and other spices all populate the aroma. Wow.

Flavor is also.... WOWOWOW is my first reaction. I get lots of wheat flavors at first, as if this were a Weizen.
    Pepper up front a little, not so hoppy but a enough bitterness to not let the sweetness of the malts overpower. The orange flavor is in the middle mild, barely perceptible but there nonetheless, along with more spiciness but this is as much from coriander as pepper, present but not too much... Goldilocks territory! The back of the tongue tastes more spices but also the wheatiness, slight banana and bubblegum sweetness. This beer is a little thinner than most of Pax's offerings, but it's still thick enough to be hearty, still having a great mouthfeel. This might be attributed to the low-ish 4.5% (on this year's label) ABV. Overall, this is like a merging of 2 beer styles - half German Weizen and half Belgian Wit - but the best of both without any of the excesses of either (say too much bubblegum of the German or too much spiciness of the Belgian.) It's a shame for me there's only 2L of the stuff for me! Very süffig and a WOW-O-WOW, WOW beer. If it were a tad thicker, I would give it a 10, otherwise, a 9 in my book for creativity, uniqueness and delicious drinkability.

Like if you wish you could drink it with me :).

40. Gutes_Bier

Sounds great! Actually I'm not sure what I think of pepper in my beer but I bet my wife would love it. I saw his FB page a while back and he advertised a small town's Summer Fest (or some such) where he was going to be selling his Biere Blanche. He had some comment along the lines of"Es ist der Hammer!" Glad we could get some independent verification! I thought about going, actually, but the town was a little too far away by train for me to consider seriously.

Good news - I just did a Maruhn's beer run as a Father's Day gift, so I'll be putting some up here over the next week or so. Highlights include a Franconian Rauchbier that I have never had before, a few Faust beers that may have been given a high review in this forum, and some old classics. No Orval, sadly, they had sold out.

My old stomping grounds. Run up the Art Museum steps for me!

boddhitree likes this.