1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BB aged Imperial Stout w a "best by"?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SanFranJake, Jan 16, 2013.

1. I received a bottle of Bourbon Barrel aged Dark Hollow that has "best by March 2013" on the cork.
    WTF?! Since when do aged Imperial Stouts have a "best by"? It's usually a "best after".
    The beer looks nice but what's up w the short best by?
    Thoughts, input and two cents are appreciated.
  2. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (590) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

It probably means the cork will turn to shit after that date. Drink up or else you'll have doodie residue on your impy stout.
  3. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

The brewery probably thinks the beer will be best if drank by March of 2013. The beer will certainly be drinkable after but the brewer does not believe any additional time will provide any benefit. Just because it is an Imperial Stout does not mean age will improve the beer. I wish more breweries would put a best by date on their big beers, it may help clear up some of the cellaring misconceptions that are out there.
  4. But it can't be more than a year old. Having said that, I have no "bottled by" date.
  5. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

It so refreshing to see someone say this. These misconceptions are well out of control, from people cellaring beers they havent tried, to spendng wads on cases of imperials in fear of not having enough
    Thorpe429 and tacosandbeer like this.
  6. josefiak

josefiak Zealot (80) Washington Jun 9, 2011

The bottle also states that extended cellaring is possible, but drink by the date stamped on cork for peak flavor. Had on tap and is a great beer, the one bottle I have is going to sit for a bit though to see how it changes. Drink it now or sit on it for a while. Don't think you'll be upset either way.
  7. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

There are some imperial stouts, especially of the barrel-aged variety, that are best fresh (see: the fantastic line of Eclipse Stouts). The brewer might feel like this is one of them.

Don't over-think it. If you want to drink it, drink it. If you don't, don't.

But thanks for bringing it up. I have one in the basement & had no idea there was a date stamped on it.
  8. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Advocate (645) Maine Sep 11, 2010

Weyerbacher Heresy also has this... Usually released in January or February and the best by date is August of the same year. I can kinda see why with that beer, as it's on the thin side for a BBA stout, but still. Some breweries feel it's best by a particular time. FWIW IMO, after you buy it, it's your beer. Do as you please with it.
  9. Lots of brewers bottle BA beers when they think they are ready to be consumed. You could argue that the best possible time to drink a BA beer is the day it's released.
    FUNKPhD, Pahn, ShogoKawada and 5 others like this.
  10. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

I used to work in the beverage industry and some states require a best by date on things. Even water, for example, which may be shelf stable forever.
  11. This is the only thing that makes sense to me. The drinker may prefer the aged BBA stout taste opposed to fresh (if capped). IMO it varies with each BA stout and we don't all agree on which ones are best fresher.
    "Best By" should be left up to the BA.
  12. This is why I love BA! So many helpful beer nerds...no offense!
    Thanks for the insight.
  13. I have a Brew Dog TNP and it has a Best By day of 2-12-20, Nearly at 32%ABV how Can this Thing Go Bad ??? What do you guys Think ???
  14. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

It's also possible the brewery simply doesn't set different best-by dates for all its different beers, and that all bottles are automatically stamped on the bottling line.
    MichaelinFishers and ehammond1 like this.
  15. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

I agree with Kzoobrew, but in this particular case they used the same batch of dated corks for multiple batches of the beer dating from march 12 to at least some point in the fall of 12 - confusing, I know. that said, this was the first beers from their new Barrel House where they completely changed the brewing process of the beers made there, switching to a partigyle process. the brewer (a old veteran from Goose Island many years ago) may feel that this new process does not age as gracefully long term as his prior process. I couldn't tell you.... yet.
  16. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Exactly this.
  17. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

TNP should have an "Even Worse After" date.
  18. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Savant (325) Virginia Jun 18, 2010

It is a really good,beer as is......no need to sit on this one.
  19. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Savant (325) Virginia Jun 18, 2010

The chocolate coffee version of this beer is outstanding
  20. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (290) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

Hmm....I've had this one and it didn't impress the first time. May have to circle back around and try again.
  21. CCB is one that will tell you..."We aged it for you, drink fresh!"
  22. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

new'ish guy question here: how can a brewer know a "best by" date on something like this if the actual "best by" date is, say, 3 years down the road?

unless they brewed it several years ago and sampled it along the way.. wouldn't a "best by" dating system be speculation?

qualifiers: at least for new breweries OR new recipes OR beers that may have a long shelf life
  23. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

you mean...that we aren't...suppose to age everything ... forever?!!1 and,

you mean..that a brewer wants his/her beer drunk in a timely matter....where the taste is how he/she had intended it?!!!1

;)
  24. drtth

drtth Champion (850) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

The brewer doesn't know for certain but rather is able to make an educated guess based on knowledge of the style, brewing technique, ingredients, and the track record for other comparable beers. So prior experience comes into play, both for the beers of others and the beers made by the brewery that is giving us the best by. Rocherfort 10 has a best by date 5 years after the bottling date, but people in the cellaring forum and else where report aging it for 10 years or more and still enjoying it.
    MichaelinFishers likes this.
  25. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Send your bottle to me, I will gladly drink it after the "best by" date...for science.
  26. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

thank you
  27. drtth

drtth Champion (850) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Welcome.

One thing I left out is that some breweries do in fact keep bottled or kegged versions of their beer in storage for several years so that they can taste and re-evaluate the best by date they are using (If they stay in business long enough.. :) ).
  28. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (300) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

I had a long winters nap dopple and it had the same cork. I think all their bottles probably have the same thing, regardless of style.
    ncaudle likes this.
  29. Sometimes i also think more breweries are doing this to protect themselves from having to refund infected beer down the road, too. There are just too many variables with barrel aging for them to be able to guarantee every beer well after what they consider the beer ready to drink.
  30. A best by date is an opinion. In any case what use is a best by date without a born on date? If i was going to age a beer i would like to know how old it is to start with.
  31. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

That is quite the oxymoron.... if they aged it, it is never fresh for the end consumer.
    cavedave and jesskidden like this.
  32. Barrel aged stouts are generally not a great style to age. There are some exceptions, but this style has already been "pre-aged" for you with its time in the barrel. They will hold up for a while, but most of them aren't getting much better.
    Pahn likes this.
  33. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

You have just been mayored. How do you feel. Its awe-inspiring the 1st time isnt it.

Cheers!
  34. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

I think I'm going to put a "Best After" date of 2113 on my homebrew bottles. That way, if anybody opens it and realizes it's shit, I can tell them they opened it "too soon".
    cavedave likes this.
  35. OK, so 'fresh' is the wrong word. I think it says 'drink immediately'
  36. Show that beer who's boss and go longer than 3 years.
  37. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (845) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

We need a FAQ for cellar misconceptions if there isn't one already
  38. Agreed. Unless the beer is overwhelmingly hot/boozy- at which point a few months usually knocks it out- drink 'em when you buy 'em.
  39. 1 - Should I cellar this beer?

No, probably not.

2 - But...

No, probably not.

3 - It's a gueuze...

Well, ok.

A bit of an extreme exaggeration obviously, but I think people are more in love with the concept of cellaring (collecting) than they are with the end results. You can see it in all those youtube videos people post of their beer cellars - at least half the stuff in there will taste better fresh, people just want to show off their whales. The best beers to cellar are usually the most simple run of the mill stuff you can easily purchase by the case (Bigfoot, Brooklyn BCS, Van de Keizer Blauw, etc).
  40. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

first off, consider something - they made the beer, you didn't. maybe they know something you don't?

second, bourbon influence, like coffee, hops etc. fades with time. if the influence in said beer is weak, (perhaps they flash aged it a very short period in bourbon barrels) or the barrels used are worn whereas they don't have a lot of influence left to give - it makes sense they put a quick turnaround on it. opposite angle would be perhaps they aged it extensively in barrels & feel like much more age will expose a decline. like i was saying, perhaps the brewer knows something you don't?

third, the literature is merely a suggestion. it's nice that they offered one. you're free to ignore it. i have done so with many beers not necessarily doing so belligerently but through inability or lack of desire to complete the tasks timely.
    cavedave likes this.