BB4D

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by mikeincharleston, Jan 27, 2013.

1. What kind of stuff does it go for? They go for about $10 a bottle right? Does it take more than some local hard to finds or would this be a brewery only type thing?

2. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

$8 a bottle, plus tax and deposit, brewery only. I would expect what someone would trade would depend on if they bought it as a trade item, and when you try and trade. I think they might have some left now, but once it's gone people will probably value it higher. I wouldn't trade mine, it's my favorite beer.

3. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (330) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

With how scarce it seems this year I'd imagine the markets went up a bit. But in years past I've traded it for BBPT5, BA Blackout, Brewery only Cigar City stuff....I guess I'd say maybe something brewery only and barreled. But it depends on what they're looking for. But if you do trade for it it's worth every penny you give up. Amazing beer.

4. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (445) New York Jan 13, 2010

I traded 2 Westys for a BB4D, Black Note, and a bottle of Hopslam.

5. DaSolomon

DaSolomon Initiate (0) New York Oct 12, 2011

They are not brewery only fyi

6. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Savant (285) New York May 15, 2011

This beer is too good to trade.

Meaning It tastes way better than what it trades for.

jacob4999 likes this.
  7. Andygirl

I have not seen one Kuhnhenn bottle in store, ever. Are you thinking kegs?

8. DaSolomon

Nope but I wish I found a keg of BB4D. Ive seen a few different Kunhnhenn bottles around shops; most definitely the BB4D as I have bought and drank many myself. I am in NYC for reference, far from Michigan.

9. DaSolomon

They do go for 7.99 or 8.99 plus tax/deposit still though.

10. Andygirl

Thanks! Now I know. Never have seen it in the Detroit area except at Kuhnhenn. Did you get it this year?

11. DaSolomon

As in 2013? No... but I haven't gone to the store that usually carries them. I think I last got some in early December 2012, which reminds me I need to go get some. If they do have some whenever I go, I will let OP know.

12. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (415) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

Was it the 2012? I know they distributed it in MI and NY in 2010, but I didn't think they did distribute any of it in 2011 or 2012.

13. DaSolomon

The bottle that I still have kept around all this time is the 2011 BB4D version. Figure that some of the more recent ones I purchased are the 2012 version.

14. Andygirl

I think the last batch was a Winter Solstice release, so late December.

15. DaSolomon

Would you think that that would be marked as 2012 or 2013 on the bottle?

16. Andygirl

I'll go check, I bought a case.

eta 2012

17. It says 2012 on the bottle, small amount released at the solstice, and the more bottled after. I think it ran out around the 90th person at solstice.

18. sobeleg

sobeleg Advocate (520) New York Jun 29, 2011

BB4D does not come to NYC, only the regular 4D. The only difference in the bottle would be that BB4D has gold foil over the cap.

See this thread for more info: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...n-US:official&authuser=0&tbm=isch&um=1&itbs=1

19. BeerWorld

BeerWorld Savant (370) New York Feb 20, 2008

Ever since early 2011 we have been officially receiving limited Kuhnhenn bottle distribution once or twice per year in NYC. NYC is only one of 1-3 places that gets Kuhnhenn bottles distribution thanks to SKI. We also get limited Kuhnhenn kegs throughout the year as well. Don't know if we'll get any of 2012 Winter Solstice bottles but I'm hoping we will.

20. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (415) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

Something else to note: to say it hits distro in NY "far from MI" seems to hint that Kuhnhenn gets wide distribution which is misleading. Kuhnhenn sees very minimal distro in MI and NY. That is it. And minimal is an understatement.

Czar_chasm likes this.
  21. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

The 2010 BB4D for sure was for sale here in New York. Amazingly it was for sale at 1 4-pak per customer at DeCicco's for almost 3 weeks. I can remember trying to talk Alex into selling me a 2nd, and then a 3rd 4-pak (miss you Alex). Last year's reg 4D, and Prometheus, are both still for sale here. 4D also is fucking delicious, just a step less so than its big brother, but the price here, 8.99, is high.

22. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

This.

Oddly, though, Kuhnhenn is actually more visible from an on-tap perspective in NYC than in bottles. It's really not all that uncommon to see their beers at several bars and growler fill stores at any given time (Though, typically just the usual suspects. Never anything too crazy).

The only vintage of BB4D that ever made it to NY was the 2010 batch that arrived in early 2011. The only other 4D that we've received since was just the regular 2011 4D (i.e. un-barrel-aged) vintage which is still available at many locations. You can check the year on the back label. It's listed right at the top.

Also, a good indicator is that the 2010 BB4D vintage had a sticker on the neck of the bottle denoting it as BB4D whereas every vintage beyond that has had the BB4D "designator" on the label itself (it's a little gold oval). It might also have gold foil over the cap if it's a 2010.

You don't have a 2012 unless you either bought it at the Winter Solstice yourself or received it in a trade via someone who did.

camil1mj likes this.
  23. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (365) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

and for what it's worth.... first BB4D release at 2012 Solstice had the little oval on the label denoting barrel aged but did NOT have gold foil over the cap. Subsequent releases have had the barrel aged oval as well as gold foil on the cap.

Knifestyles likes this.
  24. Andygirl

To further complicate, the foil does come off very easily and can fall off in the case.

25. DaSolomon

Deccico's is where I had gotten them in the past. Alex was a great beer dude, it was sad that he left. So I believe I am in the wrong here as I hadn't known that the true BB4D has a golden oval sticker, with that being the only distinction between the normal 4D bottle and the BB4D bottle. Thank you for education me on this, this whole time I believed I was drinking the BB4D- having said that, the normal 4D is god damn delicious, I can only imagine how good the BB4D is now.

26. Czar_chasm

Czar_chasm Savant (355) Michigan Jun 20, 2012

It is but the bb4d is a whole nother animal...

27. DaSolomon

Also thank you Knifestyle's, your post was just as educational. You would think they would make some more of a distinction between the 4D and BB4D in regards to bottle differential. However, on the bottle of these 4D's I have gotten, they state (and I quote) "4th D is aged for a minimum of nine months before being released". I now presume this aging they state is just normal aging in whatever vessel it was held in.

28. DaSolomon

Now I am ISO BB4D cause damn reg 4D is comparable to KH IMO.

Knifestyles likes this.
  29. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

Moral of the story: the only thing that you can ever be certain of when it comes to Kuhnhenn is that you can never be certain of anything when it comes to Kuhnhenn.

That's like 99% of their charm.

30. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (555) California May 3, 2011

I have a trade in the works and I'm giving up a King Henry and a 2011 Abacus for 2 4-Packs of BB4D...I'm even throwing in a few bottles of Pliny as extras just for shits n' giggles...both parties seem happy with the trade...

Cheers!

match1112 and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  31. If it falls through let me know! I have some other Kuhnhenn stuff that may interest you :)