1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BBC World Service story

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by foobula, Feb 17, 2013.

1. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Heard a fun story early this morning on BBC World Service, program "From Our Own Correspondent" about the decline of the traditional English pub, the rise of "real ale" and of women's interest in beer & brewing. I'm in Chicago, have never been to the UK, and found this an interesting window on craft beer across the pond.

Link

It's from the current episode dated 2/16/13. You have to click on the picture a couple of times to start the audio. The story runs from 14:30 to 19:02.
  2. Thank you always good to get these links shared :)
  3. There's more of a rise in 'craft beer' awareness and consumption then there is in real ale. True Story.
    Cue marquis.
  4. But craft beer and cask beer are exactly the same thing!

Always with the quasi-history lessons about brewing and women and the middle ages. And always with women brewers and beer writers trying to segregate themselves even more than they actually claim to already be. Whyyyy?

Would be cool to see them talking a bit about the new wave of craft breweries that are popping up all over the country at the moment. Some deny it all they can but the fact is, brewing is definitely evolving here into something vastly more interesting than it used to be.
  5. think you'll find that real ale is craft ale, unless you define craft as being only brewed by the latest 'trendy' brewer.
  6. Sorry boys but at the very least you are being disengenius to the reality of what is happening in the UK beer scene and are giving American BAs the wrong impression of what is happening. All real ale may be craft beer but not all craftbeer is real ale.
    Craft keg is forging ahead and the happening brewers producing the most interesting and therefore most soughtafter beers are from the likes of the Kernel, Summer Wine Brewery, Tempest, Cromarty, Magic Rock, Buxton etc who aren't slaves only to real ale. Cask is just option & by doing so they are master's of their own fate outside the suffocating realm of the CAMRA only crowd. To them its all about taste, quality and experimentaction.
  7. You're the one being disingenuous. What is actually happening is that both cask and fancy keg are in growth, and nearly all the most exciting breweries are still working in the cask idiom. Not that you'd know that to read the tosh spouted about "craft beer" in the media. I think the papers smell advertising revenue from the likes of Innis & Gunn.
  8. You could also say though, that cask is mostly used because pretty much all pubs that aren't dedicated beer bars are restricted to have changing cask ales on a number of pubs, and the same macro stuff on keg. If a brewery went keg only and were making nice pale ales, saisons and stouts, etc, they would have practically nowhere to sell the stuff other than shipping it to London or other big city beer bars.

Definitely not the sole reason but it has to be factored in.

Oh and it's also probably because a lot of the new US influenced breweries started because of wanting to improve cask ale from what it has mostly become in recent years.
  9. Actually, I never implied otherwise in my post. But the reality, as I said, is that most of the mentioned breweries are brewing both cask AND craft keg. And that IS a major new development. As is the momentum it is carrying.

The 'craft beer' 'tosh' I refer to does not come from media invention. It comes from the brewers I know who actually refer to themselves as 'craft' brewers of 'craft' beer. And the reason why many 'real ale or death' folks won't know that is because they don't really engage with social media where so many of the new 'craft' brewers dwell nor will they go to establishments which carry their craft beer. In fact it seems that CAMRA folk go as far out of the way as they can to avoid the very reality of craft beer. Either that or they refer to it condescendingly as something like 'fancy' keg.

And FWIW, if given the choice I will more often than not opt for cask over craft keg beer but to dismiss the reality of the many newish breweries and their surprisingly tasty experiments with craft keg beers is contemptible. And its very much like the Ministry of Magic denying the very reality ('The beer which should not be named') of Voldemort in Harry Potter.
  10. Harry Potter references = winning
  11. as a Camra member I will accept nothing but a cask conditioned J.R.R. Tolkien quote
  12. They don't know how to cellar properly at the Green Dragon
    EmperorBevis likes this.
  13. The Prancing Pony is in the Good beer Guide.
    CwrwAmByth likes this.
  14. Maybe it's the wrong time of night, but the discussions over cask ale, real ale, and craft beer on this section of the forum always makes me smile.

Drink good beer, whatever you may see that as, and be happy!
  15. http://www.camrgb.org/
    Zimbo and RendoMike like this.
  16. Why does it always end up cask vs keg with you guys? Just drink good beer despite the dispense method.
  17. Only with those who are stuck in the ways and don't want to see reason. Its cask and craft keg for me all the way. The bitching only starts when people refuse to see this and claim an illusionary highground.
  18. See my above post.

Plus, it's mainly down to a few people who believe that the phrase "craft beer" is meaningless, maybe because of all the non/not-really-very-craft beer things claiming to be so (supermarket brand craft ales, Craft Beer rising showcasing stuff like Greene King and Sharps etc), and refusing to admit that there are some cask ales that are horrible and quite a few that are bland/boring/essentially copies of a hundred other beers.