1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BCBCS Value

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by boilermakerbrew, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Alright,
    First off, I'm not trying to just troll offers here, I really have a question that I'd like some perspective on.

I have a bottle of the most recent BCBCS, but after having other coffee heavy beers, I am thinking I may not enjoy this as much as someone else. Also, I have been eyeing some of the harder to find Bruery beers lately, as we cannot get most of them here in Indiana. The question, would a BCBCS warrant something along the lines of a Black Tuesday, White Chocolate, or a Melange 3? Would I have to add others, and if so, what type (locals, limited, semi-limited)? Or what is the $4$ value of one of those bottles?

Thanks in advance for your opinion. Cheers!

2. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

No. BCBCS ages horribly. It's fading everyday you hold on to it. Get rid of it asap, for the first possible offer.

3. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

White Chocolate probably, Melange 3 MAYBE, Black Tuesday doubtful. Again though, I am usually dead wrong as I don't know how to trade these days, so YMMV.

No Donny, these men are Nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of.

gpawned, pmarlowe and SubpoenaDeuces like this.
  4. All three bottles you mentioned are $30, with White Chocolate only available to RS members. I traded a White Chocolate for 2x BCBCS.

5. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

The Bruery gives you diabeetus. Keep the BCBCS.

ediaz, leftyhyzer, aasher and 3 others like this.
  6. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

I'd rather ship first in a trade with Miksgroove than drink another White Chocolate.

I think if you add a bit on your end to even up the $ amount, you should be able bring in a BT or M3. (i.e. BCBCS plus 2 regular bourbon county would be a fair trade)

7. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

White Cockolate, imho

8. Thanks guys. I knew I could count on you all for good advice, or at least advice haha

jegross2 likes this.
  9. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

I did a simple $4$ when I traded mine away. Wasn't much interest then.

10. I'll give you a citra, plus quality locals to even it out the $4$.

Just because it has Goose Island stamped on the label doesnt mean it can pull "higher shelf" beers. It's an awesome beer, nut readily available on many shelves in the distribution footprint. It's like bcbs, which is still sitting on shelves mind you, being offered for brewery only or limited release beers. If a beer sits on multiple shelves in massive quantities for more than (in bcbs' case) six months, it becomes a local. Thats what it should trade for.
    Just my opinion and all that jazz.

11. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Get it at Beinny's?

SubpoenaDeuces and Eriktheipaman like this.
  12. Melange is still available directly from The Bruery, so one bottle of BCBCS plus something else to make up $4$ (Melange is $30) should get it done immediately. White Chocolate is sold out, but it's a very sweet beer (even by Bruery standards) that you pretty much need to drink for dessert with 5-6 other people, so I think a lot of people overstocked on it expecting something a little different. Thus you can probably score that, again, making up $4$.

Black Tuesday will probably cost you 2-for-1.

HopsintheSack likes this.
  13. Fluteswell

Fluteswell Savant (270) Maryland Feb 15, 2011

Wrong!

14. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

Haha, I absolutely love it that there are people who think coffee beers age well. One man's garbage...

SubpoenaDeuces likes this.
  15. abecall98

Now that you mention it, you're right.

16. It's pretty much a shelf beer, no? It was all over the Chicago suburbs when I was there in December. You could probably go $4$ for some of the more widely available Bruery beers like Melange or WC.

17. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

I recently did a mini vert of BCBCS. I liked the 2011 better than the 12. The 10 had a hint of coffee and was pretty malty. The 12 was blah to me. The 11 however was excellent.

18. MordorMongo

I sure wish BCBCS was a shelf beer here. I mean I get it was ON a shelf for a few, but to compare it as a *shelf beer* like BCBS is silly. Now Chicago may have been a different story but certainly did not stick around on shelves in Indy.

aasher, Shagtastic, codysjb and 3 others like this.
  19. Azrael

No need to be maudlin. I think everyone has accepted these are totally wales, bro. It's not like anyone else in the country has trouble landing certain distributed beers in their area too... You guys definitely have it the worst!!!1!

20. MordorMongo

You get that from your word of the day calendar?

I stand by the fact that comparing BCBS to BCBCS is idiotic. Didn't say a thing about anything other than precisely that. And I most certainly made no mention of BCBCS being a wale, which is also idiotic. And I never said anything about it being the worst here, or anywhere.

You need to read before you type, bro. Or go have another beer since you obviously need one.

ant880, VonZipper, aasher and 4 others like this.
  21. Azrael

I was just responding to the tone of this:

OMG YOUR LIFE IS SO HARD BRO. :) :) :rolleyes: :)

22. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Dude, you're really tense. You should lift more.

aasher and drewba like this.
  23. Azrael

Fixed!

DYES?

24. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

BCBCS for Black Tuesday? No way. It's just not that rare.

In my experience they trade $4$ for most other limited releases.

25. Wow. That escalated quickly. I know BCBCS isn't exactly rare rare but when I check 4 to 5 stores in a region to just get one, you can understand the somewhat limited value I put on it.

That being said. I assumed Cali got less than indiana and Cali traders would be the one with the beers I was looking for. Why not help a BA in another region out? Anyway, I think I'll just drink the bastard before anyone else gets all tense about the value.

26. jegross2

I heard veritas 004 sat on a shelf before it was sold too

27. jegross2

You should be able to 1:1 with m3 or WC easy, 2:1 on BT. Just add some baller Chicago locals to fix up the money (antihero, etc)

28. Wasn't white chocolate a reserve society beer that ppl only got one of? If so wouldn't WC trade the same way as Grey Monday and Chocolate Rain?

Besides that my opinion is that you should be able to land BT and M3 with the BCBCS since people could buy BT online at one point. But the best way to figure it out would be to throw up an ISO FT.

29. Arbitrator

I think it was 7.

The best part of White Chocolate was opening a bottle at a tasting and hearing a taster say, "I'm kind of sad I have 14 of these."

30. abecall98

I'll take some off your hands. I love that beer, pairs great with Poker.

aasher likes this.
  31. Arbitrator

I only have 1 and you're welcome to it at cost.

aasher and huskermike12 like this.
  32. If he doesn't I certainly will.

33. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

These days if you're lucky I'd imagine you'd probably be able to find it on the shelf in Chicagoland for $20. I have heard people can find them for as low as $13-15, idk where. But I think you ought to be able to trade them $4$ in the $20 range.

34. abecall98

Sounds good to me. Just hold on to it until next time we meet up, I'll gladly take if off your hands at cost.

35. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (460) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

That shit was terrible. Unfortunately I sent it to some good trade partners before I tried it. Now I feel like an asshole.

36. abecall98

I wish you were that terrible to me.

37. kapkenobi

kapkenobi Savant (280) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2011

I loved WC and want more. But im a big fan of sweet beer

38. I'd trade my melange for bcbcs plus maybe one other bottle. Definitely not BT or WC though

39. MordorMongo

Thank claaaaaaaaark13 for this one, and serious business here, blend WC with BCBS. Winner, winner chicken dinner.

Gosox8787 and boilermakerbrew like this.
  40. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Blasphemy