1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BCBS 2012 - Michigan Release/Sightings

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by genuinedisciple, Sep 19, 2012.

1. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (625) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised one bit! We got "Stoned" by Stone on their 2012 IRS right around West Michigan anyway. I know they got it in Kalamazoo, but nowhere near Grand Rapids. I guess that has nothing to do with this release, but I could see that happening as well. I got gouged for shipping, but damn it's going to taste good going down! :)
  2. loki993

loki993 Aficionado (230) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

How did they manage that are they paying off the truck drivers? Sounds like hoarding to me
  3. NSaad23

NSaad23 Aficionado (200) Michigan Dec 13, 2011

I was at a shop the other day and talking to some guys about it, i heard it was in the system to order for a few weeks and not one place in the area made an order for it, Clubhouse BFD happened to order it all. So the story goes......
  4. loki993

Well if thats truly the case then I see nothing wrong with it. If no one was ordering it. Still I have to be curious that no one else was ordering such a sought after beer.

Now I know Ive been in there and they have mentioned having King Henry, but I was under the impression that it was in kegs...not bottles. Though I dont even know if it was keged. I would assume that they would buy more in kegs then bottles, but who knows. Kegs would make more sense. I could more believe that no one would order that, but its still odd.

Dont get me wrong I love the bar and Ive been there a few times....hate the prices though. I know they were wanting 12 for a 10oz pour of BCBS when it was out in kegs and I just couldn't bring myself to do it. God only knows what they will charge for a bottle of KH......though I may not care and still go get one lol.
  5. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (320) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

KH at Clubhouse was $25. I was told straight up that they wined and dined the right people in order to get it all. There's still some stashed away for their one year anniversary party.
  6. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (355) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

Was it Bottles or Kegs?
  7. loki993

25 for a 12 oz bottle? I wouldn't pay that I dont care what it is.......
  8. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (405) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

King Henry comes in a 22 oz bottle, not 12 oz. It is worth $25 per bomber. Stuff is liquid gold.
    travMI13, raymo55, JohnB87 and 2 others like this.
  9. mtrog313

mtrog313 Savant (300) Michigan Feb 28, 2012

Not to add fuel to the fire but their beer guy told me that they also bought all the kegs of Bourbon County that were distributed to Oakland County.
  10. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

Hey Zaphog, your inbox is full. Can you message me when you get a chance?
  11. MichPaul

Mr. Popularity!!! :)
    Zaphog likes this.
  12. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (320) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

22 oz bottles as noted above. Worth every penny. We sat up there and drank 3 of them. They'd never sell anything that good for that cheap ever again though.
    travMI13 and raymo55 like this.
  13. kdmcguire10

Uh, Yeah. $25 at a restaurant for King Henry? I'll take a six pack please!!
    Spartan213 likes this.
  14. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Let it be known that King Henry made it to more than the above said bar in Michigan...
  15. Spartan213

Spartan213 Savant (315) Michigan May 28, 2008

I heard this too, but to be fair to them it was only a couple of kegs either way, it's not like they are sitting on a dozen of them. Would it be good for other bars to have a shot, sure but I think the real problem is how much total we actually get here in Michigan not so much where it ends up.
  16. My New Strategy...I've asked many of my BA friends on here to pick me up some when they see it. It's an unashamed strategy, because I really don't feel great about Washtenaw County's chances. No worries, I will be compensating all of them with payment, beer, and conversation at the 4elf party.

Cheers.
    biga7346 likes this.
  17. mike409

mike409 Aficionado (200) Michigan Jan 25, 2012

was the only bar that had it in metro detroit
  18. loki993

Is it just me or is it getting harder to find places that take lists?
  19. a74gent

a74gent Savant (385) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

I think so and the lazy part of me understands. Why jack with the constant questions and keeping lists and notifying people when you can just put it out when it shows up (maybe add a FB posting or something) and let it fly. Yes, for good customer service, I get it.. but I mean for a simple efficient operation at a store that is managing their costs closely...lean and mean operation. Short-sighted maybe..
  20. loki993

I dont care either way. I understand both sides of it. Lists and first come first serve both have their advantages and either could be argued as being in the best interest of the customer depending on who you ask.

It just seems that places that took lists before are now saying call me tomorrow or its first come first serve. I know part of it is because they dont know when their getting it, but this isn't the first time I've experienced it recently either.
  21. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (185) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

Came here to see if anyone else went to Siciliano's. I also went to Siciliano's on Wednesday, around lunch time, and the guy at the counter said "maybe next week, more likely in two weeks".
  22. kdmcguire10

I heard the same story in the Mid-Michigan market.
  23. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Lists are hit and miss for me. I don't have KH on the "list", because I run the risk of the following:

We have a section of our beer list with the heading "Sour/Tart/Funky/ Ales" and underneath are 10-20 ales that fit that description. Of those, there are 10 or 12 JP beers. We have the Sobre Humano, which we only got two cases of, clearly listed as a fruit forward funky Belgian style ale at $22 a bottle...a guy orders it and tells the server it's the worst beer he's ever had. Now I drank the beer at 2 in the afternoon, and I didn't mind, but I don't want to sell THAT beer to people who won't appreciate it. So KH, Bramble, BCBS, and a select few others never see our "list"...
    With a 12 or 24 (at most) bottle allocation of these, I trust myself enough to be able to pick out people who will appreciate the beer for what it is and offer to them. If I miss one or two of you, I'm sorry, and shame on you for not asking me if there is anything hiding in the depths!
  24. Wow. I should feel lucky. Last year my store got three cases of the stuff to sell. I was hoping to see the same amount this year, if not more based on the amount produced. But I guess I should just shoot low!
  25. Zaphog

Zaphog Champion (995) Michigan Sep 23, 2011

It's a distributor that's getting the 30 cases not a bottle shop.
  26. Thanks for the hint...I'll be sure to ask when I come up to see you. :)
  27. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

And how is their security around the perimeter of the property?
  28. BCBS, the new:

NSaad23 and Zaphog like this.
  29. 3 kegs to be exact, and I think they maybe saved 1?
    Spartan213 likes this.
  30. danp14

danp14 Savant (270) Michigan Dec 12, 2011

I was told by the guy who handles the beer there this ^. He said they were saving it for their one year anniversary party which i believe is valentine's day. I was told they also have some other things left over that are fit for a king.
    Spartan213 and JohnB87 like this.
  31. MichPaul

You know how many times they told me that about Stone IRS? Probably 3 or 4 times only to have it never show up... The only place I ended up seeing that was in K-Zoo.
  32. Zaphog

Zaphog Champion (995) Michigan Sep 23, 2011

The have one lone security guard...his name is MichPaul.
    MichPaul likes this.
  33. NSaad23

NSaad23 Aficionado (200) Michigan Dec 13, 2011

Maybe i can bribe him with Michigan tickets.....
  34. JohnB87

FT: 2 Michigan football tickets ISO: 30 cases of BCBS
    Zaphog and NSaad23 like this.
  35. loki993

Im getting pretty much the same here no one really knows. Basically call back later and ask or we will post it on facebook.

Damn I wish I lived closer to Keweenaw...
  36. JLG193

JLG193 Savant (250) Michigan Sep 14, 2010

We received some more shorts peaches and cream at Holiday Market in RO yesterday. Should have 3 cases left (had 5). call 2485411414 ext. 365 to make sure though. One 6-pk limit/person. It wasn't selling much yesterday.
  37. JohnB87

I already had to do some intense sexual favors in order to get a few six packs from the west side of the state, so I think I'm good.
  38. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

The problem with Siciliano's is that EVERYONE knows about Siciliano's. I love the place, don't get me wrong, but everyone in the area watches their Facebook and blog and calls them like hawks waiting for KBS/BCS/CBS/miscellaneous whale to show up, and then they're gone within minutes. Point in case, when Pumking finally showed up there, they only got 3 cases and they were gone almost as fast as they showed up. However, yesterday, a week after it was gone from Siciliano's, when perusing my usual haunts, I stumbled upon a plethora of Pumking and snagged a bottle. Same thing happened with Peaches and Creme, Frangelic Mountain Brown, etc. So, when this stuff finally does hit West Michigan, you won't be finding me at Siciliano's. Their supply just doesn't match their popularity, unfortunately.
  39. danp14

I feel the exact same way about Champane's on the East side of the state. It's like everytime there is a decent beer released, people make an obligatory pilgrimmage to Champane's to get a chance to ask Mike the beer guy if he has any in the back which is likely gone by the time I get out of work and get a chance to go over there. Granted they do get alot of good stuff and their prices are unbeatable on most items, I'm just not confident they will sell more than 1 or 2 bottles per person in their attempt to get the beer out to as many people as possible.
    iceatalamo and JohnB87 like this.
  40. danp14

You'd have to offer up alot more than 2 tickets for a comedy show.
    MSEGUIN, iceatalamo, Itoclown and 4 others like this.