1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BCBS 2012 - Michigan Release/Sightings

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by genuinedisciple, Sep 19, 2012.

1. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (540) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

I just talked to one of the store owners at one of my beer haunts in between Rockford and Grand Rapids, and he told me that their distributors got BCS in last Friday, but they're still figuring out how to allocate it.

raymo55 likes this.
  2. loki993

loki993 Aficionado (240) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

Neither do I

3. sm0key

sm0key Savant (315) Michigan Apr 24, 2009

Unless Grandma is a BA, then it fricken rocks!!

danp14 likes this.
  4. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Any sightings in the downriver/wayne county area? Most of the stores near me haven't gotten any shipments at all. :(

5. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (415) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

I don't think Wayne county has been distributed yet. I heard possibly later this week.

6. loki993

loki993 Aficionado (240) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

Yeah, we got it all wrong. Grandma was the one with all the mules lol.

danp14 likes this.
  7. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I know ONE place that has had some.
    Another place I've inquired is expected Wed/Thurs to get their allotment.

8. danp14

danp14 Savant (270) Michigan Dec 12, 2011

LOL! If grandma is a BA then i want to get a peak at her cellar! She's most likely been hoarding cases of Cantillon since '53.

Just an FYI Macomb County got their shipment last week Thursday/Friday. IF Wayne didn't get theirs then (assuming they will be getting some at all) then it would have been last week or this week. There is one store that i know of that MAY have more left in MC. But I was at a wedding all weekend, I haven't stopped over there since last Friday when i picked up my 4pk.

EDIT: As of Friday night (around 6:30 or 7:00) they still had some and i know there aren't a TON of BA's that go there.

landrewg likes this.
  9. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Heard the exact same thing.

mjshearer1 likes this.
  10. patol8

patol8 Aficionado (225) Michigan Jul 6, 2010

Not much of an update, but spoke to the beer guy at Plum Market in AA and the rep told him that there was no BCBS in Ann Arbor yet.

11. rjm217

rjm217 Aficionado (160) Michigan Mar 18, 2011

Just picked up some in Kzoo today, so it appears to finally be hitting the market over here.

Urbancaver likes this.
  12. GRBrew

GRBrew Savant (295) Michigan Jan 12, 2009

Mind sharing where? BM is cool.

13. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (470) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Usually shops around the GR area get their shipments on Thursdays right?

14. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (540) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Or Fridays, I know it's the end of the week, though.

15. This is simply not true....I picked up a case last Friday in Ann Arbor.

16. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

ryan you better not be holding out ;)

MichPaul and JohnB87 like this.
  17. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Isn't Ryan the WB guy not the AA guy?

18. I'm the AA guy.

19. founder26

yah if someone in AA got a case already you can't be far off, hook a brotha up! lol

20. Mega-bev in Portage, on the corner of Centre and oakland just got in 10 cases, 8 of which were remaining when I left.

134 per case out the door. (they give 10% discount for purchase of any full case, including special releases)

21. founder26

ARRGGHHH WHY CAN"T GR GET IT!!!

imfrommichigan likes this.
  22. sarro

sarro Savant (345) Michigan May 12, 2009

BCS has already come and gone in AA.

J/k!

No, but really... better luck next year.

23. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (470) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Everyone is hating on us. GI and Bell's for not giving us the "This one goes to 11"

24. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I can imagine what a beer desert you all live in up there.

MichPaul and raymo55 like this.
  25. tectactoe

A store near my house (downriver area) said they are getting some, but aren't sure exactly when. Sometime in the next few weeks they claim. They have a waiting list going already, so I called and put my name on. I hope this stuff is worth the hype! I'm damn excited to try it! :)

26. founder26

it is worth it, but you really have to like bourbon foward beers in order to enjoy it, I would age some for sure.

27. tectactoe

haven't had any bourbon-heavy beers, actually... but if i do ever decide to have hard liquor (for whatever reason that may be), it's always whiskey/bourbon, so i'm kind of excited to try one and see what it's like.

i'm not sure of the limit, but i'll definitely purchase as many bottles as they allow.

also, (side question), are there any good "bourbon forward" beers that i could try that are readily available in most places? obvious this brew, KBS, etc. are seasonal and very hard to find, but is there a decent bourbon brew that's easy to snag year-round? i'd like to try one!

28. camil1mj

Try New Holland Dragon's Milk. Very boozy and bourbon forward. If you even remotely like it, you will love BCBS.

mjshearer1 and raymo55 like this.
  29. Easy off the shelf pickup is New Holland Brewing Co. Dragons Milk, if your looking to try something Bourbon barrel aged

bah....beat me to it LOL

mjshearer1 likes this.
  30. tjohn2401

tjohn2401 Aficionado (145) Michigan May 26, 2010

Good suggestion, Mike. And tectactoe, glad to find another downriver BA!

31. Since you're from downriver you might try driving to Toledo and getting some Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale from Lexington Brewing Company (Alltech). This isn't the best example of a Bourbon barrel beer (many BA members will tell you it's awful), but it is usually available and it's better than nothing.

Edit: I see that Dragon's Milk came into the picture. Forget my suggestion. I can't believe that I didn't think of that one. It is readily available.

32. camil1mj

Good suggestion. The stuff is cheap and is pretty good. Very, very bourbon forward.

33. I'm not sure that I'd put Kentucky BB Ale into the 'Bourbon-forward' category. Sometimes I have to close my eyes and imagine that I'm tasting Bourbon to convince myself. ;)

34. camil1mj

I have had it on multiple occasions and every time I have had it, all I can taste is bourbon. (which I like) However, I have heard there is quit a bit of batch variation in that beer. Maybe you have gotten batches where it didn't come through as much. If not, obviously our palates are different.

Edit: even if you look at the reviews there must be some wide batch variation. Some BAs describe it as very bourbon forward and some say they can't taste it.

35. tectactoe

Ah, Dragon's Milk... I have had that, actually, I guess it slipped my mind as a bourbon-beer. I do enjoy it, very much! Now I'm even more excited for this BCBS, haha!

Hell yes! What part are you from? I've been in Southgate most of my life.

36. tjohn2401

tjohn2401 Aficionado (145) Michigan May 26, 2010

I moved to Flat Rock last year. I'll let you know next time I have a tasting at my house.

37. tectactoe

Awesome! Much appreciated.

38. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I thin we just made a BA Love Connection

JohnB87 and Savearth like this.
  39. I work in Taylor, and grew up in Dearborn Hgts, does that count as downriver? LOL
    I didn't get the formal notice like tectactoe, but I would love to go to any tastings around that area.

40. tectactoe

Taylor definitely does!! And DBH is close enough :p

The best kind! haha