1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

BCBS 2012 - Michigan Release/Sightings

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by genuinedisciple, Sep 19, 2012.

1. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (360) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

What store? I live in Troy and had a 4-pack of KBS "reserved" for me at Manny's. He said he sold out at his store in Troy, but if I really wanted one, I could drive to their downtown Rochester location for one and he would tell them it was for me. When I got there, it was 50 dollars plus tax. No thanks.

2. Wingfan13

Wingfan13 Aficionado (180) Texas Aug 10, 2009

Yep...that is the one. Manny's...eff them.

Wade5614 and JohnB87 like this.
  3. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (745) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Wait a min... They had beer sitting by the register and then said "No beer for you!"? Maybe you didn't ask right... There is a proper way to ask, or the beer Nazi will shoot you down... I have truly liked Martha's although, I haven't tried to get the extremely limited stuff from there. That kind of behavior pisses me off as well. Should call them out on stuff like that and let them know you're pissed.

4. GRBrew

GRBrew Savant (310) Michigan Jan 12, 2009

Typically the limited releases are reserved for certain customers. However, they will have them on the counter so you can see they have them and then refuse to sell.

5. Wingfan13

Wingfan13 Aficionado (180) Texas Aug 10, 2009

That is seriously the dumbest/strangest thing I have ever heard.

ChadlyG and MichPaul like this.
  6. Will never buy from here...or from B&B. Both stores have lied straight to my face. I don't care if you want to do crazy stuff with your special releases or get greedy, but just be transparent in what you're doing. In my experience, both of these places are not. There is another place in A2 that I won't visit either (Main Street Party Store), because I don't think someone should have to pay $5.99 for a bottle of Plead the 5th. If we keep buying from places like these, there is little reason for them to change the way they do business. /rant

founder26 likes this.
  7. Also...the word on the street from a couple places is that A2 will get their minor allotment of BCBS next week.

8. a74gent

a74gent Savant (415) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

With regard to main street...they are gougers for singles, but if you can buy the 4 pk they normally aren't much more than other places in my experience.

9. wintbs379

wintbs379 Savant (345) Michigan Mar 13, 2009

minor being the key word

10. loki993

loki993 Savant (250) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

I just dont get that. I mean they have to know what its going for at other places right? That said I nearly gaurentee I can drive up the street and find a bottle for 20 bucks at my local place. He never fails...smh

Thats a great way to make sure I never go in there again. I cant even fathom how they think thats ok. Must piss off a ton of people.

My biggest problem as well. I agree I don't care how you choose to sell your beer. If you have a list and I ask you if you have a list tell me you do. If its first come first serve do it, if you saving it all for you regulars fine, just tell me that. I can respect it. Just be straight with me is all I ask and I will continue to shop there.

I've really had enough of calling a place, asking specifically if there is a list, being told no and then calling on release day only to be told its all been sold already to people on the list. This has happened to me with one place in particular twice now.....there will not be a third.

You want my business, have a good selection and maybe hook me up with a special release, trust me Ill be back. You want to lose my business then lie to me.

11. patol8

patol8 Aficionado (245) Michigan Jul 6, 2010

Main Street Party Shoppe was trying to charge $50/bottle for CBH. We went in there and asked if they had it, guy says yes and goes to the back to get them. He's back there for about 10 minutes, come back out and says $50 and his reasoning, "They are going for $50 on ebay". He was literally on his computer checking ebay prices while he knew we were waiting.

12. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

New Holland has been brewing Hopivore for years now, and it's always been a solid harvest style IPA. Just sayin.

13. a74gent

a74gent Savant (415) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

Perhaps a side benefit of ebay cracking down...although a prick store is still a prick store.

14. biga7346

biga7346 Savant (255) Michigan Jun 19, 2010

Well, look at you Mr. Beer Knowledge! Excuse me, it's the first time i've ever noticed it.

15. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (845) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

So I stop by Discount to pick up by BCBS and the clerk goes, "would you be interested in some 'This One Goes To 11 Ale' ?" I was kind of shocked since I had no idea it was out at this time (I thought it had been shelved for the time being). So of course I bought two bottles of that as well. Turned out to be a good day!

16. French landing got their 2 cases today. Still about 5 - 4 packs left. Limit 1 - 4 pack per. $25.99

17. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

I haven't had the Dole in awhile, may have to crack one of the 12oz's that's in the cellar - it is certainly Bourbon weather.

18. sullenbee

sullenbee Savant (340) Michigan Jan 15, 2010

Martha's is the closest store to me, so I'm there quite often. I've never seen them do this, strange. Lately it seems they have bottles behind the counter up with the liquor, but in view. If the beer was on the counter, it may have been set there because someone was buying it. I haven't ever seen them stack beer on the counter. Those guys are always awesome to me, but I don't hound them when releases come out. They usually post on facebook if something is in, and I've had luck running in and picking releases up. As for their customer service - they always line up and call customers to the next register if they get even just two backed up in line. (They even offered to carry my beer to my car for me once when I made a big purchase) Hopefully your experience was a one time occurrence. They have always treated me pretty good.

19. GRBrew

Nope. Not an isolated occurrence. Seems like most here have a similar experience. I had them lie directly to my friend's face about them not getting any of a certain release after i bought the beer 20 minutes earlier

20. sullenbee

sullenbee Savant (340) Michigan Jan 15, 2010

Damn. I'll bring it up next time I'm there. Not cool. Makes me curious was employee it was.

21. biga7346

Yeah, pretty sure Wayne Co. accounts got their entire allotment shipped out today.

22. MarcatGSB

Wasnt trying to drop any knowledge, I was just amused by your statement. Cheers.

JohnB87 likes this.
  23. wintbs379

wintbs379 Savant (345) Michigan Mar 13, 2009

Not everyone in Wayne County saw theirs Friday. A store I frequent isn't getting theirs until next week.

24. From my understanding dragons milk sees neither whiskey nor bourbon barrels but virgin oak barrels. I also hear they have a whiskey that they age in the dragons milk barrels.

NSaad23 likes this.
  25. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

26. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (415) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

"We age our beer exclusively in bourbons barrel for a minimum of 90 days -- often more than 100," says New Holland's president, Brett VanderKamp. Further complicating matters, New Holland only uses the bourbon barrels once for Dragon's Milk, meaning the brewery is constantly sourcing truckloads of booze-drenched oak. "Second-use barrels don't give the beer the same character," VanderKamp explains.

Read more: http://www.slashfood.com/2010/03/22...-dragons-milk-beer-of-the-week/#ixzz28WdKhEZS

27. Drangons Milk is most certainly aged in Bourbon Barrels. They also just released a Beer barrel bourbon, which uses the spent dragons milk barrels to age the bourbon for 3 months. I've also heard that they will be releasing a special release dragons milk in 3L bottles that was aged in the barrels used for the beer Bourbon. So those barrels got some good use out of them.
    Bourbon
    Dragons milk
    Beer bourbon
    And lastly Dragons milk Rare haha

ChadlyG likes this.
  28. MarcatGSB

See, I'm going to disagree with the below statement as well, because when New Holland says bourbon barrels, I know a portion of "the milk" is aged in their own Zeppelin Bend, or Brewers Whiskey barrels...those are not bourbons..

29. biga7346

Likewise ;-)

30. sarro

sarro Savant (355) Michigan May 12, 2009

I think they're better now, but I've had Dragon's Milk and Pilgrim's Dole before that tasted overwhelmingly like super dry American oak and without much whiskey character.

31. Steimie

I believe you, but it's weird that the NH website and the labels both say oak and don't mention bourbon barrels.

32. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (535) Michigan May 28, 2007

Just a fyi, Wine Castle in Livonia has BCBS..Its 5.99 a bottle..Only selling a max of 2 though..There is another place in the area, but they are selling it for 8 dollars a bottle, which is BS imo

33. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

please stop talking about dragons milk, this thread is about bcbs in michigan common guys! :D

34. Steimie

Dragon's Milk
    Dragon's Milk
    Dragon's Milk

Zaphog and raymo55 like this.
  35. tectactoe

36. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

your too cute man ;)

tectactoe if you drink that all in one weekend you will be TRASHED!!! lol

37. tectactoe

Haha, no doubt! I plan on drinking a BCBS tonight and letting the rest age for a while. Might have a Bell's, too. I'm saving the Ruination for football Sunday!

founder26 likes this.
  38. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (365) Michigan May 30, 2010

I will drink that in an hour and feel like superman! ha ha, lol. I just need to find it and buy it, have you seen either of those around Ron?

39. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (540) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

This is officially out at Siciliano's and International Beverage in Grand Rapids, by the way.

40. GRBrew

And, of course, Int Bev is charging way more. $7 a bottle with two bottle limit. $5.79 at Sicilianos. Again, this is why Sicilianos is the best beer store in Grand Rapids.

RyanMM and MichPaul like this.