1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BCBS clone recipe feedback

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Stevedore, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Been on a BCBS kick and I don't think my bank account can sustain the pace at which I'm inhaling the BCBS so I've been wanting to brew my own. I may scale it down to a 1 gallon recipe to test it out first though. So this is the recipe I've been working on in hopville- it's a 5gal partial mash. And I'm looking at using bourbon soaked oak chips in secondary to impart the bourbon barrel characteristics. Looking for any useful feedback or any recipes that BAs may have used in the past or words of wisdom to impart.

OG 1.128
    FG 1.032
    72° SRM
    Efficiency 75 %
    40.2 IBU
    12.8% ABV
    421 cal
    12# Pale Liquid Extract
    4# Briess 2-row Pale Malt
    3# Briess Munich Malt 20L
    2.5# Briess Crystal 80L
    2# Briess Chocolate 350L
    1# Briess Crystal 120L
    1# Briess Roasted Barley
    2oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min
    1oz Willamette @ 10 min
    1oz Willamette @ 1 min
    1 pack Wyeast American Ale #1056
    Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

2. tylermains

tylermains Savant (305) Kentucky Apr 6, 2010

Regarding the chips- use cubes. Surface area issue.

I just brewed a BCBS inspired beer last week, although mine is much bigger and includes rye. I also used 30% Munich which is definitely not the case with BCBS. My OG was 1.140 on the dot after a 3 hour boil. With beers this huge I always brew a smaller beer and feed it fermentables throughout the fermentation cycle. With this one I decided to see what will happen if I just pitch a massive starter of WLP099 Super High Gravity into it. It'll either ferment out nicely, throw off some crazy stressed yeast flavors, or under attenuate. I'm fine with any of those in a beer this huge. It's an experiment. Also going to split up the batch. Age half on Willett Single Barrel 4 year Rye soaked cubes and the other half on Sherry soaked cubes.

Your grainbill looks about right. I can't imagine the 10 or 1 minute hop additions will do much. Isn't BCBS just Willamette? I may be wrong about that. (going off memory)

I'd be concerned about 1056 as well. You may start off with 1056 and perhaps finish off with WLP099 or something similar.

Let us know how it goes! I'd be interested in tasting it.

Cheers!
    -Tyler

3. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

1056 should get you there. I've brewed north of 14% multiple times with it. Pitch the appropriate amount of yeast. Even if you don't need it, I'd make a starter to ensure vitality/viability. Just pitch what you need.
    Oxygen. Lots of it.
    Start your fermentation on the low end and slowly ramp up as the gravity drops. If you can get it to 70-72F for the last few points, it'll help get to your FG. That much extract could work against you.
    I agree with tylermains on the cubes. Much better. Remember to go small on the amount and give it time on them. A big part of barrel aging is the aging itself. Time.