1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BCS has arrived

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by billywan, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

One of the stores I went to didn't get BCBCS last year, and the owner told me he had to check his invoices first to determine how much to sell it for. He charged $12.99.

2. beeronthesun

beeronthesun Zealot (85) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

At my friend's store in the city, he showed me the invoice when the distro dropped it off. The cost to him per bottle was a little over $14, putting $20 retail at a pretty standard markup. It's going to vary by distributor, and I'm guessing some of them decided to mark it up themselves.

3. PDZ

PDZ Savant (260) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

anyone heard any news on suburban distro this week?

Ive done some digging... Naperville binnys said this thurs maybe, same with malloys. I think they use the same distro as DG binnys. None of them have even gotten coffee yet from what I know.

I know plainfield/bbrook binnys already got coffee and its gone, along with most places in the westmont/willowbrook area

4. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

not always the case and they may turn a blind eye. depending on the buyer/location. i've seen both prices and the reg is 19.99. you were fortunate at 14.99. others at 12.99 from what i've seen.

5. Jeffh97

Jeffh97 Aficionado (120) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

I bought Coffee for 12.99 and Cherry for 14.99, which is very reasonable from everything else I have seen.

6. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (260) Illinois Feb 15, 2012

If anyone's desperate enough, Foremost on Kedzie's got them for $25.99

7. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

If anyone has any Cherry Rye for trade, shoot me a message. Semi-promised a bottle for a tasting this coming weekend and struck out by one person in line :mad:

8. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Apparently expressing positive emotion via .gifs and/or .jpegs is no longer allowed, so in lieu of my deleted post i shall say instead: I feel good about this post, and if i WERE to use a picture to express this, it would be of a happy cat.

Re: Coffee Pricing: I cant speak for anyone else, but i keep a close eye on my invoices.

9. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

lolololololol

Glad to know that even one of the more popular beer figures in Chicago has his memes flagged just like the rest of us... ;)

ravot likes this.
  10. So last year the cost to his store would have been around $9?

Vav likes this.
  11. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

I too lost some good soilders in the great meme flagging spree of the 2012 BCS has arrived thread.

12. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

I am looking for one cherry... i'm currently in oak brook and will be heading to the southern burbs to my home in an hour. I have failed miserably on every cherry encounter in the last week, please help a brother out.

SIDE NOTE - RIP funny MEME's

Grohnke likes this.
  13. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

i'm glad to say that i created a meme with that battle priest. it was flagged. along with other pictures. for the record, bolt cutter isn't waxed ;)

i wish the thread title would be edited.

14. It will probably be showing up later this week in the oak brook area, Wednesday or Friday I have been told.

15. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

The "take a number" picture was a personal favorite.

16. agwalters

agwalters Aficionado (185) Illinois Nov 10, 2006

Foremost at Kedzie now says they are sold out...yet they have updated their BeerMenus price for it to $29.99. Hmm...

The great Cherry Rye chase of 2012 just keeps going!

17. burica2020

I think I shut down your black friday thread with a picture of lloyd christmas.

18. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

I went in and asked for a bottle of Cherry, and was promptly asked if I was a regular customer of the store. After saying "no", he says "the price for you is $29.99."

Too steep for my blood, I just hope he was able to make his regulars happy.

19. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Real talk: is there anyone out there not looking for Cherry Rye?

burica2020 likes this.
  20. PDZ

In all honesty, I like the coffee more than the cherry, so wouldnt mind grabbing more of that. NEVERTHELESS I want a cherry even worse cuz its so doggone hard to get-the chase is half the fun, 'iddnt it?

21. burica2020

the funny thing is, I had some at black friday at goose and thought it was so-so but I'm seriously looking for one to crack in two years to see how the over-powering cherry turns out.

22. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (390) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

I hope you are not referring to savway, it might have a $60 price tag (still bitter about a $30 bcbcs last year :mad:)

23. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

This will sell out before the day is done at that price.

24. Slightly OT, but there are about 8 cases of Bourbon County on the floor at Binny's Grand right now. Like many, I chuckled at the idea of year-round BCS when that Tribune article was release in the summer. Yet, sure enough, I strolled right into Binny's and picked up a four-pack of BCS that was just sitting next to Matilda like it was fucking Pepe Nero. I've yet to crack a bottle open, but I'm hoping it tastes just as rare as the ones I got in September by driving to Castle Vav at noon as fast as possible.

25. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Ain't that the truth.

26. ShortHop

ShortHop Aficionado (120) Illinois Apr 24, 2008

I was out of town for the entire weekend so I was relagated to calling a few places yesterday, including the Sav Way and they said that theirs had already come and gone.

What else is even in Oak Brook?

27. Grohnke

let the rumor mill continue...standard market in westmont just told me that none of the burbs will be receiving it because they won best in show at fobab. Which is hilarious reasoning, and also which makes zero sense, as homer glen got it (long gone)

28. ShortHop

ShortHop Aficionado (120) Illinois Apr 24, 2008

That's another place that I called last night and they told me that it had come and gone. WTF.

29. Grohnke

haha, thats what these shops are doing now. The place in homer glen got it, called my buddy. I immediately followup with a phone call to them and they said "we are not getting any". I dont care if you had a list, or were already sold out, it just confuses the shit outta me when im getting told different stories, and trying to figure out where and when it hit.

life as a shorty shouldn't be so rough

30. burica2020

Oak Brook area encompassing downers, westmont, glen ellyn, etc etc

31. BrianBo

BrianBo Aficionado (230) Illinois Feb 2, 2012

Had it at the Black Friday event and liked it more than Bramble. Considering how much Bramble has changed in a year I'm sure that Cherry will be something worth sampling at a few different future time frames. However I won't be searching this one out due to how limited it is in Chicago; if I happen across a bottle I will purchase it. The crew at GI put out another quality beer, but I'll happily pick up another BCBS 4 pack that gets overlooked during this huge hype.

32. Tnudish

FWIW, I think Goose knocked Cherry Rye out of the ballpark. It might be a nearly perfect fruited stout to me and I want to consume as many bottles of it as possible. Having it fresh, I think Rare is the only variant I liked more.

33. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

I wasn't the biggest fan. However I didn't think Bramble was anything crazy when it first came out and I really enjoyed it at GI Black Friday. If I get more than one bottle (yeah right), I'll let you get first crack at my whale auction ;) (seriously though you can have any extra bottles I come across)

Tnudish likes this.
  34. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

I wasn't surprised to hear that it sold out within the hour at that price.

35. So here's a question. I had Bramble fresh and wasn't a huge fan. I'm of the opinion that the berry was over powering and made it taste cough syrupy. On the other hand, I had it recently and really enjoyed it now that some of that berry flavor had mellowed out a bit.

Knowing that my one bottle of Cherry will most likely be my only bottle of cherry, would you suggest having it fresh, or do you think the experience would be similar to the bramble?

36. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (285) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

Me.

I think its hilarious you all are bending over backwards looking for a bottle.

Shit is not that good.

I can think of 20-30 other barrel aged stouts I would MUCH rather drink/buy than another bcbs cherry.
    And the coffee was also just not impressive this year....Last years was a lot better fresh and when I just had it a couple months ago.

I dont see the Cherry getting any better...It wasnt an overpowering flavor at all, it just wasnt that enjoyable to begin with.

37. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (285) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

Like others said.....They have stacks of regular BCBS readily available....They throw some cherries in it and suddenly its worth 4x as much and is soooo much better??

LOL nobody can deny AB-In Bev has yall by the NUTS.
    They're loving every second of this hype.....Who said GI was gonna fail after the buyout LOL

38. Tnudish

PlayaPlaya, don't melt so hard, it's just beer.

39. mishuggah

mishuggah Savant (265) Illinois Jul 14, 2009

I thought that this was your troll account.

Damn.

immobilisme and Gonzoillini like this.
  40. PDZ

half the fun is in the hunt imo.

thats why i dont bang prostitutes. only reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.