1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

BCS in Chicago

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Mjmoser, Jan 4, 2013.

1. dvelcich

dvelcich Member

For the original Coffee, it only took about two weeks. It was amazing to watch the reviews go from bringing it to the number 2 beer on the site down to a more stable position. Doesn't mean it's a bad beer once it fades a little, but if you like coffee, you notice the difference.
  2. SSGKIM

SSGKIM Member

The store by my work (Lawrence and Austin) still has 6 bottles of coffee left and they are still $19.99, no limit I believe. I bought one today along with a sixer of Deschutes Red Chair NWPA. Apparently Deschutes has arrived in Chicago. I asked if he had any cherry left and he said they were all gone. Waiting for them to get that Hopslam next week...drool.
    jbecke2 likes this.
  3. birchholz

birchholz Member

Prestige Liquors in Countryside still has several cases of regular BCBS at $26.99/4 pk.
  4. JakeT469

JakeT469 Member

There's about 4 cases of regular BCS sitting at a store in the far west burbs. $23.99/4pack no limit. I know it's not Chicago but just thought I'd throw it out there.
  5. comte70

comte70 Member

A stack of it on the floor at the Binny's in Lakeview. $21.99 with a 4 pack limit
  6. MegDuf32

MegDuf32 Member

Just tapped at Burger Bar by the Apple store off of North Ave.
    Prager62 likes this.
  7. jplopez21

jplopez21 Member

Let me guess, DeKalb?
  8. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Member

most bizarre place i've seen bcbs yet: joey's shrimp house on western. don't know how much, but if you want a bourbon county with your fried fish, there ya go!
    ravot likes this.
  9. JakeT469

JakeT469 Member

Not even close. Dekalb isn't a suburb. I get the joke tho.
  10. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Member

I have a Restaurant.com credit for this joint I have to use soon. Guess I know what I'll be using it on...
    jebsinger likes this.
  11. chriltz

chriltz Member

Anybody know if there is any coffee left in the southwest suburbs?
  12. jebsinger

jebsinger Member

i'm willing to bet no.
  13. PDZ

PDZ Member

its a real long shot at this point but dunno if you heard plainfield binnys had a few cases last week. that was maybe thurs, I think...
  14. JakeT469

JakeT469 Member

I actually bought the last 2 bombers of Coffee at a store in Joliet on Friday. 1 for me and 1 for a friend. He had a case worth sitting on the shelf for about a month or so.
  15. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Member

I'll throw this out there for the first few random people who are close and can move quickly.

I happened into Polonia Food Mart on the corner of Armitage and Damen yesterday for the first time in a couple years. I'm not a fan of the place as they mark up their beer prices a bit plus its a bit of a shit hole of a place. Anyway, I walk in and sitting behind the counter are bottles of '12 BCBCS, Bramble, Madame Rose, Lolita and KING HENRY. I pick up my tongue and ask if they are for sale. The lady said yes but the KH is $50 and Bramble is $40. I passed on the Bramble but pulled the trigger on the KH (of which she pulled from a case in back thankfully, who knows how long that bottle had been sitting up in the light). I asked how many they had left in the back and she told me 6, plus the one on the shelf. I told some friends they were there, only one buddy went and picked up one (he got screwed and got the shelf beer). Anyway, there should be 6 bottles of KH left.
    jebsinger likes this.
  16. crushedvol

crushedvol Member

I wish there was a way to put tracking devices on chicago BA's so i could see all these little dots racing to Armitage and Damen. I feel like we could turn it into a pretty solid betting game as well.
    libbey likes this.
  17. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Member

I'm sure they'll get more business in the next hour then they have in a long time.

My one caveat I wanted to mention is that this place isn't a great joint. I don't trust them. The ladies working the counter seemed a bit sketchy after we started talking and I mentioned how rare those beers were. They made some comments that made me regret staying and talking to them. I had to backtrack and mention that they wouldn't be able to put them up on ebay or anything since beer sales are banned now. But they give me the impression that's where they were going with it. So hopefully they don't. But I wouldn't be surprised if they raised the price afterward...
  18. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Member

i paid 45 bucks for a king henry from a random craigslister a few months ago. i regret nothing.
    mbockstruck30 likes this.
  19. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Member

So curious, did anyone go pick up any King Henry at Polonia or did my post slip under the radar?
  20. willandperry

willandperry Member

Shh!! I'm in the Oklahoma City airport about to come to Chicago!
    mbockstruck30 likes this.
  21. krl2112

krl2112 Member

Man that's highway robbery for the Chicago area.
  22. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Member

How so? Average price I've seen from the major retailers have been $24.99
  23. krl2112

krl2112 Member

I bought off the shelf for about $23. $4 more per 4 pack is crazy, especially when the distributors paid around $13 per 4 pack.
  24. HugePrnceFan1999

HugePrnceFan1999 Member

How do you know what distributors paid? And do you know the mark up from wholesaler to retailer and then retailer to consumer?

Awesome!
  25. krl2112

krl2112 Member

I know someone who works for an InBev distro as a rep.
  26. buzze40

buzze40 Member

Was just up across the border and you can pick up a 4 of BCBS for the bargain price of only $32 and change at Mars Cheese Castle.

Thats in Wisconsin dollars though. I think its trading a bit below Canadian.
    harrylee773 and Mjmoser like this.
  27. pvllbum

pvllbum Member

Damn I was in there today and it was $37 plus tax.
  28. jplopez21

jplopez21 Member

I thought regular price was $20/4 pack (not including tax). Thats what I paid in november when it first came out. Altho I did end up buying a whole case @ $26.99/4 pack over a month ago. Set me back quite a bit.
  29. buzze40

buzze40 Member

I stand corrected. Thx pvllbum. Probably inflation on the Wisconsin dollar. Ever since the Packers lost it's been on a slide.
  30. pvllbum

pvllbum Member

haha yeah. I was in there and I'm like holy shit bourbon county stout 4 paks!!! Holy shit $37!!! Holy shit $10 for 1 bottle!!! I guess i got spoiled paying $22
  31. hopswap1

hopswap1 Member

Any one know where I can still find some in the west burbs? Aurora area. Sent a 4 pack out recently and only have 3 left!
  32. buzze40

buzze40 Member

Or they're just crazy chargin $37 I was the same way when I first saw it.... but then,,,, beermotional rollercoaster
    gpawned and RunningIPA like this.
  33. willandperry

willandperry Member

T
    To whoever bought the remaining "several" bottles of king Henry last night at polonia, may I purchase one from you? BM me. I'm in town till Sunday
  34. fastenoughforphish

fastenoughforphish Member

I don't think they would play the game at Soldier Field, way to cold in January. But maybe!?

I keed I keed!
  35. PDZ

PDZ Member

:D Thank you sir. I told my city boy buddy the hot tip, and four hours later he was out in the burbs sharing KH and Bramble :eek: !!

One has been 'processed' sorry
  36. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Member

Glad to help!
  37. willandperry

willandperry Member

Darn the luck!
  38. LSMroz

LSMroz Member

If anyone is looking for 4-packs of BCBS or BCS Coffee bombers, there is a liquor store in South Elgin on State St, 1/2 block west of 31. Picked up 2 4-packs and a Coffee and looked like they had about 5 or so 4-packs left, and asked the guy and seemed like he had a few Coffee left as well.
    willandperry likes this.
  39. thewimperoo

thewimperoo Member

How much for the Coffee?

I live in South Elgin and have driven past that place a million times. Never would have thought to ever go inside and look for BCS. Craziness.
  40. LSMroz

LSMroz Member

I think he is charging $29.99 for the bomber. I bought 2 4-packs and the bomber and talked him down to $80 for all of it. So you might be able to negotiate.

Yeah I just started collecting and thought it couldn't hurt to just stop at every hole in the wall liquor store just to see if by chance they have anything good. I was pleasantly surprised!
    thewimperoo likes this.