1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bear Republic Greatness (freshness date please)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by colforbin73, Feb 3, 2013.

1. colforbin73

colforbin73 Savant (310) California Mar 30, 2010

they are such an outstanding brewery.... Black Bear has got to be the best buy in american craft brew.

Black Bear @3/4.99 > Pliny the Elder @4.99.

but can i get a clue on where to find the best-by date on their bottles..... a 12 of racer 5 for $12??? (safeway).... it tastes good... but this has to be wrong somehow.... i just want to verify this is indeed reasonably fresh and is only $12......

ALSO -- 4 pak of double jack at 10.99 meet old rasputin 4 pak 8.99 --- you guys need to marry --- awesome pricing -- back to bear republic... red rocket 4 paks at 8.99 are also a steal....

long live american beer.

(seriously)

2. I am a big fan of Red Rocket. Lb ng lb

ilikebeer03 likes this.
  3. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

don't ruin a good thing.............. thats what happens once everybody is hip to it..... I watched Carlo Rossi Piasano go from $8.99 a gallon to 14.99 a gallon in three years................. greedy bastards:mad:

4. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (725) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

date is laser printed towards the bottom of the bottle. Too bad its never fresh in CO any more :(

5. It would be more greatness if they bottled Tartare.

litheum94 likes this.
  6. Yeah. I had tartare on tap last year and it was crazy good.bottle that in 12oz and I am all over it.

Enjoy

7. Bottle date information:

If you turn the bottle upside down, you will see two lines of printed numbers. The first line has internal brewery information. The second line is where you will find what you are looking for. The first six digits of the second line will have the date the beer was bottled. For example, 0204133305= 02/04/13. It is best to consume within a month or two.

gueuzehead likes this.
  8. You can find information posted on the bottle date information in our previous reply. Just fyi, you found 12 packs of Racer 5 on sale for $12 at Safeway this weekend because they were doing a deal for the Superbowl. The beer is very fresh!

mattsander likes this.
  9. I bought a six pack about a week ago bottled 1/4/13. The date was in yellow ink on the bottom side of the bottle, but not upside down. Easier to read than the black ink printed upside down.

10. Dude, living on the east coast, I have to pay $40-50/case for Racer 5 and I do so willingly, so don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Even if it's slightly out of date, that's a deal I'd take a NY second. That said, I can't believe Racer 5 is going to sit around long anywhere, so you probably just got a great beer at an unbelievable price.