1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beat still at RR

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by oreo, Apr 2, 2012.

1. oreo

oreo Savant (250) Illinois Jul 29, 2010

Beat is still available at RR. Stop asking the world for what is, in theory, a shelf beer.

Thanks,

Oreo.

phisigben, optophobia, jIsh and 4 others like this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

So even though it is still available, how is asking for something not distributed in your state bad?

I am asking honestly.

3. oreo

It's not. I would have no problem sending 90 dollars worth of good FFF/Founders/Half Acre for 90 dollars worth of beat. I am not going to trade a one off brewery only release with 700 bottles for 1 bottle of beat though. Have you seen some of these ISO's though? Its pretty insane. It is nearly impossible to get more than 3 for any one beer.

4. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (380) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

I heard that Cantillon is selling to a trader that has a case of Beat.

Etan, davey101 and oreo like this.
  5. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

Oh, this brings back the good old days of the "DDG is still for sale" thread.

6. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

King Henry was actually on shelves and that didn't stop anyone from asking the world for it.

Also, and perhaps more importantly, the cat is out of the bag, every new release will have this happening. There's not really any stopping it, but reasonable people can still do reasonable trades with each other.

7. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

Most beer is shelf beer. I saw a shelf Fou Foune a few months ago.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  8. Scanning the first two pages of ISO:FT at the moment... I see almost all Beat ISO's. The only FT's I see are looking for locals, a reasonable limited release, easy limited releases with high bottle counts, or generously giving one away.

I'm sure there have been a few crazy FT's, as there are with every beer, but this doesn't seem to be trading unreasonably at all. In fact, it seems much easier to land Beat than CBS or King Henry.

9. futura123

futura123 Savant (340) California Jul 29, 2010

Yeah, I don't see any thing crazy. There is an offer Cantillon 50N40E + Cantillon St Lam 2004 + Cantillon Gueuze for 6 Beat and seem like it's not done yet. There were some Rare, Chocolate Rain, Black Note, King Henry.... for Beat get done so the trade value of Beat is on pair with any other limited release.

Seem like the OP only wants Beat owner to ask for shelf beer.

10. black note was available for a few days at bell's. it didn't stop you from asking for bt09 or beatification batch 3 or deviation for it. other beers in those offers include literal shelf beers like bcbcs, lolita, bramble, juliet, ba yeti...

:confused:

11. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

In before 'clever girl'.

libbey and MarkIntihar like this.
  12. While I somewhat agree with your sentiment, I'd say this batch of beat should be on par with BCBS versions and King Henry; silimar volumes and price. Believe me, I wish GI would've made it as easy as showing up one weekend and buying 6.

claaark13 likes this.
  13. my point is that it is, if you've been paying attention to what people are asking for them.

alwaysanswerb likes this.
  14. oreo

While combining other beers with it. Its not like I was asking for it straight up. I do appreciate you bringing up my old threads though, maybe someone will actually see it this time <3

To your point about them being shelf beers, yes I see that. Although its not like we could just go to the brewery at any time and buy 6 straight up. If that were the case, they would have a wee bit less value don't you think?

15. Darkness is not that rare!!!
    Err... I mean
    Duck Duck Gooze is not that rare!!!
    Oops... sorry, what I really meant was:

"BEATIFICATION IS NOT THAT RARE!1!!!"

16. a lot of you sound a wee bit too serious. It's just beer, guys. No one's making you empty your cellar for it- unless you count that nagging voice in the back of your head.

TWStandley and oreo like this.
  17. oreo

WHAT ABOUT THE RARITY SHOGO. THE WALES. WE MUST CONSUME THE WALES

18. ordinarily, yes. however, i think people like you (and i apologize for singling you out, but you did start the thread) have made your bed; now you have to lie in it. in total honesty, i know people that think many of these large-batch midwest ghost wales were artificially scarce (people buying a ton to sit on until the value rises), and it's no surprise that the response is to do the same with beatification.

i'm not saying beatification should trade for wales like crianza or don quijote. i'm saying it should trade for wales like king henry, bcbcs, bcbvs, rare, cbs, cbh, bramble...

also, as for driving to the brewery anytime: a lot of people i met in line were out-of-towners (out of state or far end of the state). you're at the mercy of sf bay area traders, and asking them to drive 1-2 hours each way every day to pick up bottles for you is a bit silly. certainly no one did it for them with black note...

19. oreo

Point taken. I did shoot high for those threads. I hoped for a long shot and did not get it. No biggie.

You don't apologize for singling me out, come on, you love trolling me ;)

20. Rarity doesn't apply to me. Velvet ropes do nothing to stop me. I'M getting as much beatification as possible- YOU guys need to chill out.

21. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

Like others have said, i do not see the ridiculous request from Beat owners, I do see a lot of offers from people asking for Beat. If what is being offered is higher than what you think Beat should be valued at I am sorry but I do not know what you want done, that is the going "rate" driven by demand, not supply.

Have you posted an ISO for Beat aside from the April Fools one?

22. one thing i'd like to add since we're on the subject: the limit of 6 seems to have been well enforced (for the most part). a friend of mine is sending his 4 trading partners a bottle apiece, and he's worried all of them are going to be unhappy with it. what is it about the six bottle limit that is making people request 4-6 at a time? with multiple partners, you're looking at hundreds of dollars dropped at once just to keep everyone happy. what's wrong with 1?

23. oreo

Because then I wont have the ability to drink one every week for the rest of my life.

alwaysanswerb and brew3crew like this.
  24. oreo

No. I am getting beat from a trading partner of mine for a crapton of good beer on my end. I refuse to trade with people who value it so high. Wait a few weeks, months maybe, and it will even itself out. Hopefully.

25. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

The recent fad in trading seems to be to maximize every possible transaction. People see that the limit is 6, and they want 6, dammit!

26. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

How else are you going to hold onto a couple until it becomes a big time whale?

27. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (710) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

Be like me and just trade for good beer to stare at it :D I'm only half joking.

jamvt and DSlim71 like this.
  28. oreo

You are full joking.

SubpoenaDeuces likes this.
  29. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (710) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

I knew you'd like that comment, haha.

30. black13

black13 Savant (395) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

Come on people, beer is for cellaring not drinking. You only need one bottle to do this :D

31. What kinds of things are people asking for that you think is over the top? I am genuinely curious--your thread and some other posts with similar sentiments have led me to check out the ISO:FT forum more than usual, and I have seen plenty of generous offers looking for Beat, but the offers to trade Beat have not seemed insane (or have been quite generous, particularly Leschkie's offers, including his latest to make a 3-4 hour round trip to be a mule for someone).

32. oreo

The offers for beat are very generous. They are not getting done is my issue. I know a few people who have made very good offers only to get shut out or asked to give more.

rmalinowski4 likes this.
  33. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

And? This release has had absolutely insane demand, I've gotten PMs from at least 3 random people plus about 5 previous trading partners. Pretty much everyone I know is sending most of what they've gotten to previous partners as well. So people aren't answering generous ISOs because they're already tapped out. I completely fail to see why this is an issue.

34. hannydawg

hannydawg Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 4, 2010

Recent releases have shown me that having quality trading partners is essential. I thought I had 2 pretrades set up for Beatification, only to have both people back out. I then contacted a trading partner, and he hooked me up. Going forward, this scene is only going to get worse, so lock in your trading partners now.

35. ama

ama Aficionado (110) Minnesota Mar 18, 2011

Yes, I had a trade for my Funky Buddah Raspberry Berliner squared away and someone backed out too. Frustrating...

36. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

This. Quality trading partners are the best.

37. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Beat is still at RR, and my locals are still on the shelf ( I just checked and confirmed!) alas, no deals to be had....

oreo likes this.
  38. oreo

I laughed.

39. i'd love to see you address stupac2 or slaphappysnark's posts directly. you are intentionally ignoring private, reasonable trades, and you are directly ignoring that the public offers are a mirror / consequence of iso's for beers from e.g. your region.

but sure, it's this release that is the problem.

40. oreo

If this is the case, then I apologize for overstepping. I just figure this beer is still available for purchase so it should not be that much of an issue to go back and buy some. :)

yeahnatenelson likes this.