Been in Anaheim 3 days...

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by JISurfer, Apr 26, 2013.

1. JISurfer

JISurfer Champion (970) Hawaii Dec 10, 2002

And I've bought quite a bit of beer. The selection down here is great, but I can't find any Alpine IPAs. I've been to Hi-Times, Total Wine Brea, and Hacienda. I thought, Hi-Times selection was great, even saw a beer from my native state (South Carolina), Rockhopper. We have far better beers there, not sure why it made it's way over here, but still cool nonetheless. Obviously, having to take it all back in my luggage makes it hard to choose which ones to get. So far, I've got Rampage, Simtra, Smoking Wood, 5 Golden Rings, Double Jack, Double Dorado, and TREAT. Love the beer scene, y'all have it great here, but I hate the traffic.

blguillen likes this.
  2. sounds to me like you have had a succesful trip so far. You won't find any Alpine, sorry to say buddy.

If you still want to spend more money... grab some green flash stuff, lots of Russian Rivers beer is circulating right now. Some Alesmith also! or just sit on what you've got because it sounds like you have many enjoyable nights with tose beers in your future!

3. JISurfer

Yeah, I've been looking at Alesmith Decadence, might get that one as well.

4. Gotsa go to Alpine to get the Alpine.

5. at the very least, it is a pretty bottle...

what do you guys get in regards to Great Divide and Lost Abbey back at home?

6. JISurfer

Great divide, everything. Lost Abbey, nothing.

7. its spotty... some people will say they have horrible quality control issues... but there are some keepers out in the stores right now.

8. JISurfer

The owner at Hacienda was saying that Alpine is more available up in NorCal. If that's true, we visit the Bay Area every summer, the wife's family lives there. I will definitely try to find it out there.

9. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (470) California May 19, 2006 Subscriber

They're misinformed.

Thirsty_Rob and MrFootstones like this.
  10. Apline makes 1000 barrels per year. There is not much being shipped outside of Alpine.

Thirsty_Rob likes this.
  11. what everyone else sais... Alpine is our west coast version of Hill Farmstead. out of the way(although not as far as people make it sound), and barely any distro.

Thirsty_Rob likes this.
  12. JISurfer

I guess that adds to the demand. Sounds similar to COAST at home. Most of their beers you can only get in Charleston, but occasionally they pop up in random places. When they have a special release, people drive from as far as 6 hours to wait an hour or so in line. Kind of annoying for us locals, but I understand the excitement.

13. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Advocate (565) California Jul 10, 2009 Verified

I hope you're getting some good eats--lots of great ethnic food around the area.

JISurfer likes this.
  14. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (385) California Oct 17, 2009 Verified

The "closest" spot to Orange County that regularly gets it is Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido. Many other San Diego stores get it, but then you have to travel to... well, San Diego.

Now that I think about it, El Cerrito Liquors in Corona gets some too (they had Duet a week ago), but they sell out very quickly after posting it on FB.

You may also try Hollinghead Deli in Orange. They use to get Alpine, but honestly I don't recall seeing them stock any for over a year. But even if they don't carry it, that place is always worth it for a great sandwich and brew.

15. bladerR

bladerR Disciple (65) California Dec 5, 2012

Whittier Liquor Mart had bottle(s) of Alpine Nelson, but you have to "ask" for it. I was looking for Parabola and turned down the offer of Nelson, this was on Friday afternoon.

16. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

Sunset Beer Company in LA gets it's sometimes but it would be gone by the time you drove from Orange County

should just make a road trip down there. it would certainly be worth the drive

17. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (425) California Jul 1, 2009 Verified

I wish I would of read this thread on Friday. . . .I was just Alpine this Saturday and picked me up 3 growlers of O'Briens IPA, 1 growler of Nelson and bottles of Duet, Nelson and Pure Hoppiness. I would of gladly picked some Alpine beers up for you.

18. I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a growler of O'Brien's today.

UnknownKoger likes this.
  19. ficklenicholas

ficklenicholas Savant (350) California Jul 26, 2011 Verified

Blue Palms had Duet for On Site Consumption on Saturday night when i was there.

20. Liquor Mart #6 in Whittier manages to land a case or two now and again but they instagram/FB post it when they receive it.
    If you're not within a few blocks of the place you'll likely miss out.

21. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Champion (860) California Oct 24, 2009 Verified

That doesn't sound like something Frank would say.

sirtomtom and j47paco like this.
  22. Hit up Jazz at El Cerrito Liquor and/or Damien at Liquormart Whittier. Or just make the drive to Alpine... that's what I would prob do if I were you.

23. lol. i hope this isn't someone you're getting any other advice from or heaven forbid relying on for anything important. :eek:

RaulMondesi likes this.
  24. JISurfer

He also told me about Sex ed, how to vote, global warming, and NAFTA.

25. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

FTFY

26. JISurfer

NAMBLA? Ouch!

27. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

I'm pretty sure at this point we both lose. :/.

JISurfer likes this.