1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

Beer Advocates in Birmingham, AL

Discussion in 'US - South' started by HevvyMetalHippie, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Anyone out and about down here?

2. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Initiate (0) Alabama Jan 13, 2011

Someone is always out and about...

3. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (485) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

a few of us.

4. Just went to Highland to grab some Tall Grass, Terrapin, Westbrook. Want to get some Snake Handler before I leave in a growler...

What's with the milk jugs used as growlers?

xxcarpxx likes this.
  5. xxcarpxx

Most places around now use glass growlers...but you'll have to buy the glass, if you don't have one to fill already... This is a law that has recently changed...thanks to Free The Hops

6. xxcarpxx

How long are you in town?

7. StuartCarter

most places now have glass, but you probably need to ask for the glass in some places. Hop City doesn't do plastic milk jugs as far as I know.

8. I'm in Tuscaloosa. What are the best beer stores in Bham? I've only been to Hop City and will be driving to Bham next week and will make a beer run.

9. xxcarpxx

IMO Highland Package and Hop City are the best beer stores in Birmingham..

10. Ill be in town for a few more days before I get in a car and head back up the east coast to Boston. Why can't I just travel, drink beer, and eat Dreamland BBQ for a living? Is that too much to ask?

Highland Package is pretty decent, especially that there's a hookah bar in the back alley that you can also get craft beer at. The cost of hard liquor down here is WAY higher than it is up North, like significantly so.

I want to hit up Good People still, I've been to World of Beer, Mellow Mushroom, Courtside? It was the bar next to the Pitt/Ole Miss pep rally with happy hour wings ha.

11. freduardo

freduardo Savant (410) Alabama Feb 19, 2007

if you're still looking for spots to check out. here are my recommendations:

bar: j clyde
    bottle shop: hop city (they will also sell you a pint off the growler wall, so you can kill two birds with one stone)
    bbq: saw's soul kitchen (close to hop city)
    liquor: abc stores. still expensive, but way cheaper than the private shops.

12. StuartCarter

Hop City, Highland Package Store, Piggly Wiggly in Homewood, Western Supermarket on Rocky Ridge. First two for bottles or growlers for off premise or a pint on premise, second two for bottles only.

J Clyde for food and beer, World of Beer for a pint.

13. StuartCarter

It's that stupid state monopoly thing - the private liquor stores buy their liquor from the state ABC stores :mad:

And you're dead wrong on the BBQ. Jim N Nicks FTW :p

14. So I got a growler from Highland last night of Snake Handler...went to a Alabama championship party so I was super pumped about it, especially because they put the plastic collar on the top to seal it and even use a heat gun.

I open the growler, and on the inside of the cap is all this foamy green stuff that looks like mold. It came off just by wiping it, but it was even on some of the head, which I wiped off. I couldnt tell if it was mold, because it wasn't stuck on the cap, so I just shrugged and tried it anyway. The beer was good until my second pour out of the growler, and this disgusting slime blob snot thing came out. I immediately dumped the rest of the growler and stopped drinking for the rest of the night. It looked like a slug or an over sauteed slice of green bell pepper...yeah gross.

I don't have time to go back to Highland,and I left the growler at the house I was at, but if I make it to Good People today Ill be sure to let them know that some nasty shit is goin' on over at Highland...

YUCK!

15. xxcarpxx

If you dont have time to go by Highland, I would atleast call (205) 558-4337 and let them know what was going on.... Jimmy and David are both cool guys...I would think they would make it right.. but do let Good People know as well..(not just the bartender)... I have my thought on some things going on as well... But I hope I'm wrong..

16. xxcarpxx

As I said...just my thoughts... So I won't mention it, since its unproven..

17. AgentMunky

AgentMunky Savant (460) California Dec 29, 2009

I was born and raised in Birmingham, but live in San Francisco now. I'm homesick for Good People IPA & Snake Handler. Anyone interested in trading some Good People for NorCal beer should message me.

18. cvm4

cvm4 Savant (415) Mississippi Apr 27, 2011

Anyone ever get together on weekends for a beer share or what not? I need to get over there to buy beer.

19. xxcarpxx

I think the Free The Hop guys might put something together.... When you come over let me know...maybe I'll be free to meet up... I have some nice bottles I've been needing to share with someone...

20. Buff0910

Buff0910 Savant (390) Alabama Jan 20, 2013

Saw this older post. I'm new here and just looking for info but I go by hop city usually once a week to pick up a growler of something new. Last week I got Evil Twin Little B (fantastic porter/stout IMO). Grabbed some BP Victory at Sea yesterday for $7.99 for 32oz growler. I think us Bhamnintes are finally moving up in the beer world.

xxcarpxx likes this.

21. Update: Gave them a heads up when I was down there a few weeks ago...definitely dirty tap lines at Highland, but the beer at Good People was awesome. Snake Handler on tap...so boss

22. Buff0910

Buff0910 Savant (390) Alabama Jan 20, 2013

Im glad I saw this post about highland. Wanted to stop by but always go to Hop City and now will continue too. They are having a free Avondale tasting tomorrow if any of u haven't tried them this would be a good chance to.

23. Coming intown for the marathon next weekend from Louisville...recommend J Clyde's for the best beer and food together?

24. wde83

wde83 Aficionado (165) Alabama Nov 9, 2012

This is definitely a killer combo. There is better food available in B'ham, but the food there is really good and the beer/people are awesome!

25. joshodonn

joshodonn Savant (345) Florida Jan 21, 2011

Well I don't live in B'ham but I travel there on a regular basis for work. I really enjoy the guys over at Avondale Brewing. I also spend a lot of time at The J. Clyde when I'm in town. Last summer I set up a small tasting at Good People, I brought up a few Cigar City goodies (including Apple Brandy Hunahphu's), and I plan on doing something similar again in late March after I get my 2013 Hunahpu's bottles. I'm thinking I'll bring a 2013 Huna, a BA Big Sound, hopefully I'll get in on the Capricho Oscuro when it is released, and then maybe a growler or two... Anyways, I'll post up here closer closer to the time and hopefully we can get some good stuff lined up.

26. xxcarpxx

And the Apple Brandy Huna was amazing.... I've got a few bottles I've been wanting to share... Hit me up when you come into town....we'll have some awesome beers...

27. Anything good hit recently? Just looking for possible Terrapin or Sweetwater if I swing by Hop City.

28. xxcarpxx

You shouldn't have any problem finding some goodies from those two brewers around Birmingham..

29. Thinking about having a homecoming trip here soon. Neither Hop City, nor Good People were open when I lived down there.

Is Hop City open Sundays? And Good People? I've got to get some more Snake Handler, had it last Summer and it was amazing.

30. freduardo

good people is open on sundays but not hop city.

31. Okay, well let me ask you this then--is GP open Thursdays? This is my other day off, which is why I'm so particular.

32. freduardo

yes. taproom opens at 3.

33. Good to know. Thanks a lot!

34. Hop City was amazing. The fact most of the taps are local was impressive. Great selection as well. Awesome place! Thanks guys/gals.

35. Good question. I may be moving to B'ham in the very, very near future.

36. StuartCarter

nice. We now have 3 production breweries in the Ham, with the 4th hoping to open by the end of this year!