1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer and BBQ pairings

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by vkv822, Feb 29, 2012.

1. vkv822

vkv822 Advocate (600) Oregon Nov 30, 2009

Planning on going to my parents for ribs this weekend and wanted to get some opinions on favorite beer styles for BBQ/ribs.

2. I just hosted a BBQ (35 lbs. of smoked pork shoulder) and BYOB on Fat Tuesday. There were lots of craft beer drinkers. I prefer not too hoppy pale ales. Others brought Belgians, assorted lagers, a couple of winter warmers, ambers, and the requisite Guinness.

For BBQ, I recommend you drink what you like. Many people suggest smoked beers to pair with BBQ, but I don't like this pairing.

3. RockerD

RockerD Aficionado (165) Indiana May 21, 2008

4. futura123

futura123 Savant (340) California Jul 29, 2010

I usually have an amber/red ale or dubbel with BBQ. I think Nugget Nectar is a perfect candidate and in season too.

Beergelden, EdH and BeerKangaroo like this.
  5. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Savant (335) Oklahoma Aug 17, 2010

Assuming this is for smoked pork ribs? Cause that is BBQing. Many folks confused BBQ and grilling. Anyway, I'd suggest porters, American brown ales, amber ales, brown lagers. Pick more malty and sweet versions for the ribs if its going to have a sweeter sauce.

Tangy potato salads and shrimp skewers and the like, I'd start first with saisons or witbiers or weissbiers.

ScooBoo, jacksback and RockerD like this.
  6. Bierlerner

Agreed on the smoked beers. Smoked beers are good, but thats just too much smoke in eating and drinking for my liking.

7. I like how you roll. BBQ = smoked meat.

8. OMG, please tell me you are joking? Smoking is certainly one way to BBQ, but by no means the end-all. I guess I've been doing it wrong for 30+ years. How coud I have have possibly earned "rib-king" moniker having never owned a smoker?

Anyway, I suggest filling an ice chest with 12 PBR, 12 SA Light and 12 SN Kellerweis and you should have all the bases covered for any outdoor event.

BeerSingh likes this.
  9. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (280) Nebraska May 25, 2005

personally love big IPA's. bbq is bold and can stand up to almost any beer and i like the way the sweetness plays with bitter hops.

10. Bierlerner

Nope. Not joking. People in BBQ competitions will tell ya the same thing. That's how its classified. That's how it is. Heat and hot smoke.

mmikey8, ScooBoo and Brew33 like this.
  11. Very sorry to the OP but I find this ridiculous. Of course people in BBQ competitions will say that, being as smoking is what they do. Similarly, people who compete in chilli cookoffs will tell you if it has beans in it it is not chilli, while 95% of the people I know do use beans. If I spend 2 days to BBQ some ribs, and my family and friends eat them and heap praise on them, and beg for more when they are gone, how can you (or anyone else) say it's not BBQ? Cooked meat + BBQ sauce = a BBQ. In addition, the term BBQ is quite often used as a verb, meaning the festivities associated with an outdoor event where food is grilled, smoked or whatever the hell you want to do with it. I see no need to further this conversation; you have your impression and I have mine. Case closed.

As far as the topic at hand, I submit an alternative to my previous offering: All Day IPA would obvioisly be the way to go.

12. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

I actually had a Victory Moonglow Weizenbock with BBQ a while back, and I really enjoyed both of them. I'm not sure how much one complemented the other, and may have just been that both were individually very good, but I did enjoy the heck out of that combo regardless.

13. Sorry, rib-king, we didn't know we were in the presence of royalty.

ScooBoo and TheJollyHop like this.
  14. infi

infi Savant (465) New York Apr 4, 2009

I love BBQ with SNPA or a coffee stout.

scootercrabb likes this.
  15. Of course you didn't, it's not something you go around announcing to the masses. You are forgiven. ;)

16. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown ale + Ribs = Good times.

Cheers!

17. White birch imperial smoked brown + bbq pork

18. stevecarp6

stevecarp6 Zealot (85) New York Jan 2, 2009

All hail Rib King! We are not worthy!

19. Thank you, thank you. But not necessary on these forums.

20. I can't really let this go. I hate the bastardization of terms, and this is what you are doing here. By your logic, I can cook ribs in an oven for 2 days and put BBQ sauce on it and call it BBQ. False. The actual sauce on the BBQ has absolutely no bearing on it being BBQ. Also, your friends and family loving something and heaping praise on it does not change the definition of the food in any manner. This is not a situation where you have your impression, and I have mine. This is the English language.

Plain and simple. BBQ is heat and smoke. That smoke does not have to come from wood. It can be from charcoal as well. If you are using a gas grill, you will still get smoke from the fat of the meat. This is a stretch on that being smoke, but I think it's within reason. It is completely around the technique applied. An example is that I can't call a pork loin braised if I just toss it in the oven (i.e. bake it). I have to cover it and add a liquid because that's the definition of a braise.

Finally, there absolutely are different ways the term BBQ is used. Alternative uses for words is common across the English language. If you refer to MEAT as BBQ, then the definition is the one that applies to meat.

FishPondManager and ScooBoo like this.

21. I am pleased to see you mention defintions. I found the following:
    barbecue - definition of barbecue by the Free Online Dictionary ...

bar·be·cue (bär b -ky ). n. 1. A grill, pit, or outdoor fireplace for roasting meat. 2. a.
    A whole animal carcass or section thereof roasted or broiled over an open fire ...
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/barbecue
    Wow. I fully expect this to have no effect on the discussion, as you appear to be operating under some type of delirium. Clearly, a grill is an acceptable aperatus for the BBQ'ing of meat.

What I am saying is there is more than one way to BBQ. END OF STORY. Why is it so important to you that I think like you do? You honestly believe you are going to convince me that I have never made BBQ?

This is insane, and I will have no more of it.

Apologies again to the OP

22. Ugh. I even said a grill was acceptable. I also never said I wanted to say you haven't made BBQ. I simply want terms to be used appropriately. I was largely pointing out that your reasons in your first post were about as far off base as possible (any meat + BBQ sauce, or friends loving it).

I'm under absolutely no delirium and believe my comments were well stated and still hold. Slightly different than internet shouting "end of story." My point here is that BBQ isn't a term you can apply all willy-nilly as your first post seemed to indicate. The initial post before mine and my post are not an attack on you. Please don't take it as so.

Op: Sorry for the threadjack so I'll contribute to your question. BBQ goes well with so many beers it's not funny. The type of BBQ you choose can play a big role in this. Are you doing a spicy rub on brisket? Maybe a porter or brown ale. Sweet sauce on pork? How bout a piney IPA or spicey saison to balance it. BBQ is pretty powerful so my only rule when truly trying to pair is to stay away from very delicate brews.

FishPondManager and ScooBoo like this.
  23. regardless of which style of BBQ you are doing. victory hop devil alwayyyyss works round here. also nugget nectar if you wanna treat urself. and whoever said sam smith nut brown up there is a genius

24. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (425) New York Dec 20, 2006

ScooBoo and Beerness like this.
  25. A better question would be which beers do not go with ribs/bbq?

sukwonee likes this.
  26. I do believe this will settle things: .

ScooBoo likes this.
  27. According to Myron Mixon, the winningest man in BBQ:

What is the difference between grilling and barbecuing?

The fact that there's confusion over the exact differences between grilling and barbecuing shows me that people really like to cook outside, but they sure need a little more knowledge - because anything you cook on a grill is not necessarily "barbecue". Grilling is cooking food fast and at high heat: 350 to 400 and up. Think of it this way: It's the perfect way to sear a steak, because grilling is great for meat that is already relatively tender. Barbecuing is an altogether different process: It's cooking over low (or indirect) fire with heat that's 350 degrees or lower, and it involves smoking. When you barbecue, you want to not only cook the meat but also infuse and tenderize it with the smoke and the flavors coming from the wood.

A little tip to remember: You can barbecue anything you can grill, but you can't grill everything you can barbecue.

(from his book Smokin' with Myron Mixon, pages 5-6)

28. Just noticed this thread, but I'd like to chime in- if there's no smoke, there's no BBQ. That is not a point up for discussion or debate, that simply is what BBQ is.

Sunshine Pils, or equivalent, would be my go-to for BBQ. Need something on the lighter side to allow for borderline-unhealthy levels of meat consumption.

Carry on.

29. BBQ in the mainstream american context usually means smoked with indirect heat. but keep in mind that american english isn't the only variety of english, and there are regional and ethnic differences too. i don't like grilled or broiled meat to be called barbeque, but it's just a fact of life. aussies put "prawns on the barby" even though it's a grill, and "korean grilled meat" just doesn't sound right ;-)

30. jomobono

jomobono Savant (400) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012

Anthony Bourdain interviews Lake Erie High (his actual name) President of the South Carolina BBQ Association. At 1:35 they discuss this topic:

31. Cr0wBait

Cr0wBait Aficionado (170) Florida Feb 17, 2012

A nicely chilled Hobgoblin.

ixodus likes this.
  32. I enjoy Stone's Smoked Porter with my BBQ.

Dizbro21 likes this.
  33. I always have a Milk Stout with a BBQ ( we call them braais in SA :))

34. Do you speak Afrikaans?

35. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I always either have, Black Butte Porter, Obsidian Stout, or Coconut Porter with BBQ.

36. I can yes, but I am as English as they come :D

37. I second obsidian as my go to for BBQ. I enjoy the nice hoppy bitterness along with the coffee tones. Works well with beef brisket. I'll switch to something like Headwaters APA or even a Dales if I'm making pork ribs and using a sweeter sauce.

Looks like the rib king disappeared. Bpgpitt10 was spot on, and the quote from Myron Mixon settled it all. You can BBQ using various mediums, but the overriding factor with BBQ is smoke and "low and slow." I make fantastic BBQ ribs on my gas grill + smoker box. I cook a lot of tri tip as well using indirect heat and my smoker box, but I don't call it BBQ tri tip because I temp at 350 and it takes a little over an hour. That is "smoked tri tip." We'll see if anyone comes in with a Cali interpretation of their claim to "BBQ"

Another thing is BBQ has several different linguistic uses. It's perfectly acceptable to say "I'm going to a BBQ and we're grilling steaks." However, it'd be incorrect to say "I'm going to a BBQ and we're barbecuing steaks." I know this is a snobby discussion, but this is BA so the status quo begins at snobbery.

38. ProudBeerSnob

ProudBeerSnob Savant (440) New York Apr 27, 2004

I tend to go with porters for BBQ, but NN sounds really good! Too bad my wife just drank the last one.

39. futura123

futura123 Savant (340) California Jul 29, 2010

You should tell your wife to stay away from your beer provided that she doesn't kick you to sleep in the garage;). My wife only loves fruit and sour beer and I have to make sure she only drink the vintage lambics with me.

40. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Savant (425) Connecticut Jul 16, 2005

BBQ - once again Americans have used whatever word they want to mean whatever they want...losing the meaning of the real definition. BBQ is slow and low. Grilling is what most everyone does. I do both...

as for the beer...if you have real BBQ or something smokey, i would shy away from the same in the beer. So lagers, ambers, IPA and some others work very well.