1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer and Cigars

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ant7780, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (210) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

Title says it all: what do you think of this? Do you have any particular favorite combos?

A general rule for me is that the more potent the Cigar the more potent the beer - only a good IPA/DIPA, RIS, scotch ale or barelywine can really stand up to a good CAO or Man O' War.

Specifically last summer I took a few Gurkha Titans and 12 Shorts Huma-lupa-licious up north. Being out by the bonfire with some fine cigars and IPA's was a sublime experience for my palate and my buzz.

Any thoughts?

2. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

3. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

While there is nothing like a Bourbon Barleywine and a MUWAT or a Bueso Genesis, I really enjoyed this combo recently, just perfect.
    [​IMG]

4. lester619

lester619 Savant (325) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

I'm planing on lighting up the 5 Vegas limitada 2010 i've been saving, and finishing off the rest of my Celebration this afternoon.

5. I looked once for a Maker's Mark cigar to have with a BBA beer from my cellar but my local cigar store had run out of this particular cigar and I haven't been back since then to check again. Has anyone tried this combo? (It's a bit cold to sit on the back porch at this time of the year.) Would the bourbon from the cigar and the beer be a bit too much of that flavor?

6. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Aficionado (245) Texas Aug 28, 2010

Great topic, last night I shared a Melange 3 and had Rocky Patel 1992 and it was an amazing combo.

7. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

All I remember from cigars is that the taste completely overpowers everything.

BigMike, m34josh, BuckeyeOne and 3 others like this.
  8. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

Liga Privada and any big rich BA stout/barleywine. Actually the beer is optional, just give me the Liga Privada.

9. I like to pair most cigars with something dark and/or heavy, or if I do a standard bourbon and cigar, I'll go with something light as a chaser.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Maker's cigars are pretty plentiful around here since the distillery is in my backyard, I'll check for you the next time I'm out, if you're interested.

I had one of these last year, it was real nice:
    [​IMG]

BeerDrinker01 and Mothergoose03 like this.
  11. lester619

lester619 Savant (325) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

Bourbon and just about any cigar is fantastic together. This is one of those times when it's best to just jump in and not overthink it.

SammyJaxxxx and Mothergoose03 like this.
  12. i'm sort of the opposite, but to each their own. i've had enough tug o' wars trying to pit strength against strength - often the results for me have been either the cigar becomes the better tasting item or the beer, but less so both complimenting each other. & if the contrast grows too drastic, i'll end up discontinuing the least appealing of the 2. for this reason i tend to (usually) look for medium body cigars or less to pit against imperial stouts. in all honesty, common Belgians (Chimay Blue, Duvel, Tremens) etc., if you like those at all, are pretty safe with a broad range of cigars imho.

any rate great thread. i saw this early this morning when ironically i was taking a break from rotating & checking humidity etc. i managed to snap a shot before putting em' back:

[​IMG]

not today, these are a couple of prior pairings - i think i may have posted 1 or both before:

[​IMG]
    while the Partagas LE stick above is a bit over my personal description of "medium body", it's LE maduro wrapper gives it a sweetness over the more typical, spicier Partagas blends.

[​IMG]

13. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

I have not done much experimenting, but in my experience the two don't really compliment each other. I'll stick with whiskey if I'm enjoying a cigar, and leave the beer for another time. Although this thread has me curious again...

14. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I don't smoke cigars, but as long as we're on the topic of tobacco....

[​IMG]

this is what I love, my pipe, some quality tobacco, and a nice Imperial Stout.

15. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Best cigar I've ever had...

[​IMG]

Goes better with some 12/18 year scotch than a beer.

16. KBS or Doris the destroyer + Arturo Fuente Corona Imperial Maduro = my fav combo

17. FanofHefe

FanofHefe Advocate (625) Illinois Feb 13, 2010

Like some others here, I generally enjoy bourbon better with a cigar. However, a Drew Estates Java cigar does go nicely with most Imperial Stouts.

sajaffe1 likes this.
  18. Love that glass!

bifrost17 likes this.
  19. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (210) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

Loving all the pics here. Also I would agree that a cigar is well complimented by a scotch or bourbon (would never turn one down), but for me there's something about sipping on one or two beers for the length of a cigar that really brings out my enjoyment of both. Not to mention the buzz...

20. Pipe smokers unite!!!!!!

21. patm1986

patm1986 Savant (355) New Jersey Aug 11, 2010

anything rolled by don jose pepin garcia and an IRS, BA Stout, or a DIPA.
    Particularly the "My Father" cigars and Parabola.

Knee_Deep_Fan likes this.
  22. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

I do like those "My Father" cigars! My go to cigar is either a Rocky Patel 15th Anniversary or a Vintage. Pair it with a Black Note (or BB4D) in the cold months and a DIPA in the warm months

Guy-T likes this.
  23. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

I have a few handfuls of those in my humidor. I love Blanton's!! My goto bourbon

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  24. sfsean28

sfsean28 Savant (390) New Jersey Dec 17, 2008

a good cigar and KBS,Brooklyn Black Ops,Black Chocolate Stout. Bourbons I like are Woodford reserve and Maker's 46. A good portalso goes very well with a quality cigar.

twizzard likes this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Yeah, I really dug this cigar all by itself as well. One of the best I've enjoyed, mmmmm.

My tasting group are big cigar aficionados, and we generally take a break out to the fire ring to smoke cigars.

Often they pair well, but just as often they don't pair at all well with beers. It's nice to find a combo that works, where beer and cigar make each other seem even better.

Highbrow, twizzard and tectactoe like this.

26. Those cigars rock!

twizzard and tectactoe like this.
  27. patm1986

patm1986 Savant (355) New Jersey Aug 11, 2010

BROLLIANT. patel 1992 is a beast.

28. I usually go with a stout with I am smoking a cigar. I just got into cigars this fall so I have not had a lot of chances to pair them with beer. Once the weather warms up I will be doing it quite often.

If not a beer I will go with a scotch or bourbon.

29. everyone has there own prefence...(for me it"s a nice dfh brown ale and a perdomo lot 23) but really when it comes down to it most of us would sit out back with a pbr and a backwoods

Boomblaze likes this.
  30. You have great taste in cigars, Scotch and beer!

Those Epicure 2 are some of m favorites. In the last pic, is that the 2010 Monte EL? One of my favorite cigars to date.

joshbhs04 likes this.
  31. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (700) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

Just had barrel aged BORIS with a Gurkha Black Dragon and found it to get a pretty good pairing.

32. Romeo and Juliet Habana Reserve or a Vegas 5 with a BCBS or any other bourbon barrel aged stout. If I'm going with straight bourbon, I'll go with an Eagle Rare 10 year single barrel.

33. thanks.

it was an older Monte "C" EL

34. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (265) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

[​IMG]
    This was a Fuente Anjeo #77, aka, Shark. I like a nice Barley wine with most cigars.

35. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

smokin' cuts into your drinkin' time...........................

djrn2 likes this.
  36. My thoughts exactly on the barleywine!

BeerDrinker01 likes this.
  37. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Given this is a beer site I gave my beer recommendation , but like most above I strongly prefer cigars with spirits - bourbon ideally. Or Porto. Beer is just not high on my list here.

BeerDrinker01, Horbar and Highbrow like this.
  38. Avery's the demons of Ale go great with cigars.

39. Double Crooked Tree & Macanudo (ascots) when in the mood for a lighter fare. Or any strong with bourbon influence...

40. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (325) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

All I know is life is better with a beer and cigar.

If I must choose I'd take a St. Bernardus, Tripel, with a nice Padron 5000, swinging in a hammock on the deck of a Avon, NC beach house. Slowly drifting off into oblivian and waking up to an apple ugly from a bakery in Nags Head.

Sorry, those O degree temps are forcing me to think of some warmer times.....

Highbrow and KevinGordon like this.