1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer and Cigars

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ant7780, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Beerpharmer

Beerpharmer Zealot (95) New Jersey Apr 22, 2010

Had this with DORIS. The cigar completely overpowered the brew. I would definitely recommend Scotch or Bourbon
    mcrago, ChanChan and tectactoe like this.
  2. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

do you enjoy cigars often? most people don't start off with 64ths so if i had to hazard a guess, i'd bet you're at least familiar.

i think DORIS works ok with a cigar, but it isn't something i would pair with any hopes of a lot of ying & yang jumping off. you're generally going to lose some flavor to the cigar. if your objective (at the given time) is tasting a beer's full potential, i'd hold off on cigars altogether. "overpower" is the reason i try to be mindful about choosing strength against strength.

not saying it is the case with the quote above, but speaking in general it seems a common theme to me that people tend to come to the table expecting either their cigar or beer will taste "better" if combined. to me, that's the wrong mindset or attitude to approach it from to begin with. i mostly shoot for the combined experience being pleasant.
  3. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

Beautiful pics, That LFD double ligero is a damn fine treat, 660?
  4. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

Ive spoke at length about this in other threads, but my two cents and general take is this: if you like beer, and you like cigars, and you feel that you can only smoke them together if you dont care what they taste like, or that the cigar ruins your palate...I firmly believe you are just doing it wrong.
    dcloeren and cavedave like this.
  5. I don't know a lot about different cigars other then I know I enjoy a good montecristo and a strong beer.

[​IMG]
  6. dcloeren

dcloeren Savant (450) Texas Sep 15, 2010

Thank you! Yes, it was the 660 and it was damn tasty!
  7. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

This must have been an awesome night!!!
    dcloeren likes this.
  8. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (510) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

I am a strong supporter of beer and cigars together.
    twizzard and dipalova like this.
  9. I'm a strong supporter of cigars and almost everything together!
  10. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Savant (275) Mexico Dec 1, 2009

I tend to like mild cigars with Quads or Stouts. However, My take on it is you should never try and pair a beer or a cigar that you want to totally geek out about. Some flavours may be muted out.
    If you're looking for a fun relaxing atmosphere and not writing up the ultimate review, then you can enjoy both beer and cigar together.
  11. Friend randomly gave me a Cohiba tonight. It was decent, but the beer was better. Still, good combo. And I love using that lighter.
    [​IMG]
    BeerDrinker01 likes this.
  12. Milk?
  13. Matynich

Matynich Aspirant (25) Virginia Feb 8, 2013

Haven't found a beer that could stand up to a cigar until I had a bourbon county with one. Love Fuente, Padron anniversary and Patel but could only enjoy scotch or bourbon with it. Gonna try some backwoods bastard, curmudgeon, black ops or olde hickory imperial next
  14. RWNewhouse

RWNewhouse Savant (280) Montana Feb 14, 2011

I heard of a few people being involved in a Beer & Cigars BIF but couldn't find a link to it. Anyone have that info or interested in putting one together? ;)
  15. I said almost, sir.
    JMS1512 and HopsintheSack like this.
  16. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (210) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

I love this for two reasons: 1) You must have been flying high after that combo, 2) It's at the Wynn - classy.
    dipalova and dcloeren like this.
  17. I love smoking good cigars and pairing with beer. So far have a 28 bottle wineador and a cooler set up. If the zombies come ill be set for awhile with my smokes lol. Last night I smoked a 2012 Monte 520 EL. Hear alot about these being better than the Sublimes and Grand Edmundo in the future but im not sure. Flavors will still very muddled and young. Ill smoke another in a year or so and see how its coming along.
  18. what about cigarettes and PBR?
    pjkelley82, twizzard and MNBeer1017 like this.
  19. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Cusano 18 and Bourbon Barrel Aged Dragon's Milk...
  20. twizzard

twizzard Advocate (525) New York May 11, 2013

I'm sure that this has been posted ad infinitum but allow me to ressurect it...
    Just had a 1 year old Ten Fidy with a Guillermo Leon cigar.....Friggin awesome What are your favorite pairings?
  21. pjkelley82

pjkelley82 Savant (470) New York May 23, 2013

I love when I go to beer fests and there's a cigar booth at every one... goes so good with beer imo. Especially a nice barell aged stout.

Most )
    theCoder likes this.
  22. I like Don Gonzales with quads.

Trappist Rochefort 10, and that is like a 15 dollar chill night to myself with no other worries. Not the best of cigars, but I don't have money to spend like that :p
  23. Scrapss

Scrapss Advocate (585) Pennsylvania Nov 15, 2008

I recently had some Sam Adams Triple Bock with a Cohiba Black Robusto. And I liked that combo.
  24. 5 Vegas AAA and barrel-aged Framinghammer from Jacks Abby is the perfect marriage
  25. theandychrist

theandychrist Savant (395) Maryland Apr 21, 2013

[​IMG]
    I found this a nice combo
  26. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (265) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

[​IMG]
    This worked for me tonight. (Fuente 858 sungrown)
  27. Wouldn't it be better to enjoy the two separately? I know if I smoke a cigar the taste will overwhelm every other taste for the next day or so.
    KS1297, HRamz3 and alexk307 like this.
  28. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Savant (325) Pennsylvania Feb 16, 2013

Quorum cigars and Miller High Life or PBR in college
    KS1297 likes this.
  29. Great topic. Smoking isn't for everyone. I will sometimes smoke a cigar with a cocktail or three, but sometimes by itself. Typically if I'm drinking, a cigar will mix in somewhere along the way. Only maduro's though, they are my choice.
    I have a cigar every morning with my coffee, THAT pairs up really nice!!
    miwestcoaster likes this.
  30. I love having a nice roasty stout with a cigar on the back porch reading a book or something.
    Boomblaze likes this.
  31. Did you ever find that cigar? I have one that I'm not going to smoke, I got two at the same time and really didn't care for it. I don't like Acid cigars, or infused cigars, and this one reminded me of them.
    BM me your address if you want it, it's all yours, postpaid!
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  32. I find if paired properly they complement each other like food and beer and do.
  33. Thanks for the offer, Knee_Deep, but I did find one of those cigars. Like you, I was unimpressed and will not try that combo again. (Or that cigar.)
  34. Been dying to try that beer? How hard is it to come by?
  35. MrPlayboy

MrPlayboy Aficionado (155) Illinois Dec 28, 2012

36. I gave those cigars out when my son was born. One of my all-time favorites.
  37. I am a big fan of HF Everett with an Alec Bradley Prensado.
  38. This is a weird combo but Rocky Patel Private Cellar with Lagunitas IPA actually pairs well. The spicy/pepper notes from the filler compliment the hop profile. Not bad on a hot summer day.
  39. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

A blunt and an OE. That's the only combination that makes sense.
    cavedave likes this.
  40. I love this thread and all the lovely pictures! I do enjoy a good cigar every now and them with a good quality stout or whisky. Torano Vault Robustos & Glenlivet Cask Stout!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    cavedave likes this.