1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer and Cigars

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ant7780, Feb 2, 2013.

1. @Cubatobaco Im surprised you haven't posted on here yet.

heyduke and Cubatobaco like this.
  2. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Savant (335) Kansas Jan 4, 2009

I agree with this. Cigars, a crisp beer, and a patio are damn near the perfect afternoon. My beer drinking/cigar smoking habit takes a hit and/or goes on pause when it's colder than 45 degrees outside.

miwestcoaster likes this.
  3. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (620) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

Doesn't get much better than that. Sig II or III?

4. Cubatobaco

I tried to stay away, but you had to drag me in...lol.

Beeranator likes this.
  5. Not sure what Sig II or Sig III means. A friend of mine aged the cigars for about 10 years in his humidor and gave me a box when he decided he was done smoking. Thought the Utopias was the proper beer for it.

6. Cubatobaco

Well, the beer was definitely a perfect fit for the nuances that a Cohiba has. Cohiba has a Linea Series that contains sizes called Siglo (I - VI). From the picture, I couldn't tell the exact one. Siglo II's are 5 1/4 x 42 and the III is 6 3/8 x 44. Hope you enjoyed both!

7. IMO, a nice cup of espresso or a real dark coffee pairs perfectly with cigars. my latest kick is epicure no. 2's with a double espresso with sugar, Cuban style. the creaminess of the epicures are ALMOST too light to stand up to coffee, but I like it. I haven't had any luck with beers and cigars. however I smoke more in the summer on the deck with a cold IPA and have never paired a cigar with a darker, more boozy brew.

8. Ah ok, it's a Sig III. Definitely the best and smoothest cigar I've ever had. Waiting for some weather to do this pairing again. Somehow I think it'll be even better in my backyard rather then my garage next to space heater.

miwestcoaster and Cubatobaco like this.
  9. Used to love a fine cigar and beer combo
    Still love the smell of cigars
    Just cant smoke em any longer :(

10. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Savant (410) Florida May 15, 2011

Ive helped set up many a cigar-beer pairing for friends, but I could never do such a thing. I enjoy the occasional puff from a cigar....but finishing a whole one? doubtful.....even though I might give it a shot when one of my friends gets married in a couple of months.

Personalty I think that a good cigar can pair better with a beer than it can with a glass of whisky, but that's just me.

11. Give me these 2 things and my backyard fire pit... and wake me in the morning

ufmj and Grohnke like this.
  12. Drink a Cigar City Black Ash...its a cigar in a bottle

13. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (275) Illinois Sep 1, 2009

While I'm not a big fan of the Makers Mark cigars (not worth the price) I'm a big fan of Makers on the rocks with a cigar. I roll many of my cigars in Myers Rum and let them sit for a few days to perk up the cheaper smokes.

That said the only beer I'll drink while smoking a cigar is an IPA or DIPA

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  14. BeerJeeper

BeerJeeper Initiate (20) Colorado Jan 8, 2014

Not sure if it has been mentioned but the Rocky Mountain Cigar Fest in Boulder is always a good time. People travel from all over to attend. Cigars, craft beer, cars and guns. Real good time.

http://rmcigarfestival.com/the-event/description/

fineout likes this.
  15. WOW!! Four out of five of a guy's favorite things! :);):p:D

miwestcoaster likes this.
  16. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Damn give me one of those sticks and anything!

theandychrist and BeerDrinker01 like this.
  17. just needs bacon!

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  18. Pegli

Pegli Savant (305) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

After a hard day of shoveling, I'm puffing on an Illusione Rothschilde and drinking a homebrewed Grodziskie
    [​IMG]

19. That's not the fifth favorite thing in my way of thinking, but it's a damn good optional choice so let's call bacon a 5.5. ;)

20. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Yes, it would be. Beer does not pair well with cigars. One of those times where good thing + good thing equals bad. I've tried to pair several great beers with a cigar, including a KBS. It was a total waste of beer. I can tell you as a former smoker that few things fuck with your ability to taste like smoke, particularly during smoking. You need liquor, otherwise what you are drinking does not have the intensity of flavor to stand up to cigar smoke. And even then, you are missing a lot of what the spirit has to offer, so it's advisable to stick to something one-dimensional.

That being said, I could see a pils or similar light, crisp beer pairing well with a cigar as a way to avoid palate fatigue and to keep your whistle wet. But pairing for flavor just doesn't work.

21. I used to be a big cigar fan. I agree that it's difficult (at least for me) to find something to pair with it that doesn't just end up tasting like whatever cigar I'm smoking at the time.