1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

Beer and fitness

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ant7780, May 3, 2013.

1. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (245) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

I'm wondering, are there any beer advocates out there who are real in to fitness? Even though they seem contradictory, it always seems like marathon runners and crossfitters are beer drinkers (the Spartan race has a local brewery serve beers to finishers at all their different races across the country, same with other obstacle course races).

I have been into martial arts, crossfit, Spartan Races, and short distance running for a while now. I try to moderate my beer consumptions to weekend only (not always successful). I’m not a professional athlete and I don’t need a perfect body. I like to stay strong and healthy and challenge myself with serious workouts, but I also love craft beer; it seems to work well enough. Also I’m 32 so I can’t eat/drink whatever I want all the time like I could a few years ago.

So my questions are this: How much do you work out/what kind of workouts do you do? Do you drink beer after a workout? Not on days when you work out? What is your beer/fitness philosophy?

EricTKole and sind310 like this.
  2. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (550) New York Jun 11, 2007

I have a physically demanding job, and also run/bike/go to the gym regularly. Not to any sort of extremes, but just so I don't get out of shape.

In terms of beer...I don't think it changes anything for me. A cold pilsner after a long bike ride or a good run is delicious, but I won't drink any more - or less - because of a workout. I still only have one (12oz) bottle or can of something on any given day because it's generally all I'm in the mood for.

If there's any correlation between fitness and beer for me, it's that the exercise is probably helping to prevent a beer gut from forming.

Rodosman likes this.
  3. I only allow myself to have a beer or two on days that I work out. That may be a 30min run, some sort of weights/circuit training, or an all day hike with my dog.

4. I play ultimate. At 22 years of age I am still invincible and can consume without end nor regret. I enjoy evening beers in part because a brew or two generally keeps me from snacking the night away. Great after tournament drink!

5. I run every week day and am a total beer geek. I try to only drink on Friday and Saturday nights or when I travel for work. Since my beer drinking has increased, my fitness has defiantly taken a toll; not real bad, but I notice. Oh well, everyone need to enjoy their life a little! I can't complain. I went from a 30 / 32 inch wait to a 34. F*ck it! Drink good beer!!!!

6. I've been wrestling with this issue myself. I really started to get into craft beer about 6 months ago. I'm trying to drink as many different beers as possible and do it in a manner where I don't become a lush and fat. I've always had to exercise to fight off becoming a load. And I've been a load at times in my life.

So at 45 I need to walk about 6 to 8 miles a day (used to run but my knees can't take it anymore), weight train 3 days a week, and watch what I eat just to maintain my weight. It sucks. I don't drink beer right after a workout but I may try it, sounds like a good idea ;-). I've been drinking 1 to 2 beers on week days and 3 to N beers on weekends. To accommodate the extra beer calories I've tried to eliminate snacking of any kind. I figure I was eating around 500 calories a day in snacks so I'm trying to replace those with beer. I'm not perfect by any means but it seems to be working, sorta. For some reason I still snack quite a bit after the N'th beer on Friday and Saturday, go figure...

Now, if they just made a beer with more protein I could replace meals too and go beer only :).

7. stealth

stealth Advocate (630) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

I train 5x/week, powerliftimg primarily. I want to get as strong as possible while keeping my weight around 250lbs at a low bodyfat. I treat beers as calories - shitty calories. If I want some dessert after supper I'll ask myself if I want a beer later, if I do, I skip dessert. Notice I said beer, singular. And I'm not talking a bomber to myself.

If I'm hosting a tasting or going out and having a good amount of beer it's not during the week when I'm training. Heavy shitty caloric intake the night before a training day always negatively affects my strength levels.

8. spicoli00

spicoli00 Champion (760) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

EduardoOrtega01 and Drtfinelli like this.
  9. jcreegan

jcreegan Aficionado (230) Florida Aug 12, 2010

I workout 6 days a week with two being cardio only. I try to limit beer drinking to weekends only simply due to the additional calories. I don't have the greatest metabolism so it is a necessity. If I drink during the week I try to adjust my calorie intake to balance it out because beer is basically food.

Higgy, crushedvol and BdubleEdubleRUN like this.
  10. I ride my bicycle 100-150 miles a week, most of the time. I travel a lot so I miss some weeks, but I usually don't drink when I travel, so it balances out. I put in about 3500 miles last year, but I actually need to do more to bring my weight down.
    I love a good beer or two after a long ride, but it is a struggle to control my weight.

Bicyclist likes this.
  11. HighWine

HighWine Savant (395) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

I've always said that I workout as hard as I do to sustain my crappy lifestyle!

I've always been into exercise and am currently a triathlete on hiatus. I mostly box nowadays and the only lifting I seem to do are 12oz curls because I'm not training for anything in particular. What I find, though, is if I'm on a structured training schedule I have less of an appetite for empty calories, including great beer (which I've loved for 25 years -- longer than my love of exercise). If I don't have myself on a training regimen, I drink and eat more, so my key to balance is to train for something specific and the beer thing sorts itself out.

I count calories so I just factor the beer into my daily intake. Fortunately while training for a triathlon, I'm usually working with a calorie deficit so crushing a bomber a couple of days a week isn't a problem. During. Heavy training, though, a six pack will often last me two months.

Aexoonge likes this.
  12. aorloski

aorloski Savant (380) Massachusetts Oct 11, 2010

long distance runner here. logging 40-50 miles weekly and have completed 2 marathons just within the last year and multiple halfs, i find indulging in some of my favorite beers the ultimate reward to all my training. Ill have 2-3 every other night and have noticed no impact on my distance or times.

13. fredmugs

fredmugs Poobah (1,055) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

My weight is either gaining or losing - I can't maintain. I do some fairly hardcore hiking so I get in really good shape May - Oct primarily by doing a shit ton of cardio as training. Then after hiking season is over I don't work out as much and the weight comes piling back on.

The only time I cut my beer consumption is when I'm doing a Biggest Loser contest.

14. Cycling around 100 miles a week pays off. Allows a beer or two a night. For the most part, the only other beverage I drink is water (shoot for a gallon a day). Been maintaining the same wait for over a year now.

Rodosman likes this.
  15. thirstygator

thirstygator Savant (260) Florida Mar 29, 2012

I do CrossFit 5-6 days a week and on my off days I either run, surf or ride my road bike. I usually only drink towards the end of the week and unless I'm with a few other "connoisseurs", I only have 1-2 beers. I treat it as a dessert and go hard to be able to enjoy the beer without too much impact. Unless I'm competing, life is too short not to have my cake (beer) and eat (drink) it too. That said, I'm 27 and 5'10 150lbs, we'll see if my metabolism or knees go first.

kpanter, BdubleEdubleRUN and Ant7780 like this.
  16. ripps1

ripps1 Advocate (535) New Jersey Aug 28, 2012

I'm currently training for a sprint triathlon. So I am currently doing 5 days of Cardio workouts and 2 days of strength training.

When I am not training for triathlon's I typically do 4 days of strength training and 2 days of cardio to keep me in shape.

17. I run three days per week, lift weights two days per week, and eat healthy at every meal except for Friday night dinner and Saturday night dinner. I do this mainly because I want to be able enjoy craft beer regularly and because I want to enjoy the aforementioned Friday and Saturday night dinners, without having to worry about the calories I am consuming. With a lifestyle that contains plenty of exercise and healthy eating one can drink plenty of craft beer! I am no picture of health, but I can honestly say that the more I have gotten into craft beer, the more I have slimed down. Healthy lifestyle is key.

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  18. I grew up the fat kid and whipped myself into shape in college (6'3", went from 320 to 195lbs). These days I'm 31 and around 230lbs. I watch what I eat, try and keep the protein high and the carbs low to moderate. I lift four days a week and run two or three days a week and have started running organized 5k races which is really fun and rewarding. I try and keep beers to Friday/Saturday/Occasional Sundays. If I drink on a weeknight I make sure it's just one. I think I'm at a happy medium between "deprive myself and be in slightly better shape" and "whatever, drink all the beers, 250lbs or bust".

19. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

I lift 5 days a week, do cardio 3 days a week. My diet in terms of calorie, protein and carb intake is pretty strict. The workouts I do are usually a hybrid of bodybuilding and crossfit/powerlifting moves.

About 90% of weeks, I'll have a beer a night 5 days a week. You can definitely be very fit and still be into beer. Remember that for the most part, its not the beer that'll get you out of shape, its drinking excessively and eating crap when you're drunk that really destroys the diet/exercise routines. If you drink in great moderation you really have nothing to worry about..... unless you're training to be a pro/top level bodybuilder, there's no reason beer/fitness can't get along.

Briesch, pls2087, John1985 and 6 others like this.
  20. I try to do something active everyday - usually either circuit training or walking/running 1.5-2 miles. I don't go too crazy - I think a lot of folks overtrain to compensate for an unhealthy lifestyle. That's the society we live in.

The key is to eat in moderation so you don't have to workout like crazy to maintain a healthy weight. I usually avoid drinking on Mon/Tue, other days I try to keep it to one heavy beer or two session beers.

At 36, probably healthier than I was at 26.

TheDoctor likes this.
  21. I run 3-4x a week as well as trail-ride on my bike when I can. I'll throw in an occasional 5K and 10K, and rare Halfer. I do this so I can continue to drink beer and not get all doughy. Honestly, I'd rather cut out certain foods than beer. I just wish my wife understood this reasoning. ;)

Danmullens1 and JulianC like this.

22. I resemble that remark, sometimes... :)

23. On days that I lift hard, I have almost no appetite for beer or anything unhealthy at all.

KrizzlyBear, BigCheese and nickwc like this.
  24. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (725) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

I'm 40 - I like to stay active and eat fairly well. I do martial arts 2-3 times per week (2 hours each session at the dojo), swim 3-4 times per week for about an hour and walk the dogs on the weekends for about an hour or so off-leash on trails. When the weather is good, I'll take the mountain bike out on weekends. I really enjoy beer - I have a couple a night during the week and 4 a day on weekends, on average. I'm not in "bad shape", but I'm also not where I would ideally like to be; however, that's not fault of craft beer - it's working at a desk for 9-10 hours a day and commuting an hour and half to work. It's all about balancing the important things in life. To me, I'd rather exercise for fitness and enjoy some excellent brews, than get totally ripped and worry about whether a couple IPAs are going to impact my performance.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  25. I run , lift weights ,part time crossfit type training and a job where I'm moving around on my feet a lot and I will drink a couple beers 3 times a week. I eat a pretty healthy raw diet of grains , nuts and veggies 3 days a week and only eat out once a week so the beer really doesnt hurt much.

26. FLBeerGuy

FLBeerGuy Advocate (665) Florida Feb 6, 2007

Run, bike or walk 6-7 days/week to balance the beer/food intake.

27. BMitch

BMitch Savant (250) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

Powerbuilder

Beer is like anything else; practice moderation and you'll be fine.

28. terence

terence Savant (330) California Mar 18, 2012

I usually do weight lighting during the week and tennis on Saturdays. Most of my lifting are compound movements with the barbell and dumbbells. A nice IPA is my reward after deadlift day.

29. This.

like a boss.

Lift 5-6 times a week. Always train heavy, drink low abv berliners. profit.

30. I'm with you on this. Now that it's nice outside, I try to do a 1-2 mile walk or run a few times a week. Some occasional push-ups and sit-ups in the house just to maintain a certain strength level. I watch what I eat, take a couple days off from beer during the week, etc. I've maintained my weight just by doing those simple things since I've been into craft beer, which is around 4 years now. I'm just not a gym guy, I'd rather be outside.

Celtics76 likes this.
  31. First of all I don't drink beer during the day at all, unless it's a party or something. Something about beer just feels so heavy and I get lazy. So to answer if I have a beer after working out, absolutely not.

For the past year I've been training pretty hard and that hasn't really stopped...I'm 6'3 and I'm pretty thin, but I eat pretty badly and drink beer/wine/whiskey almost every day. I find that as long as it's pretty much out of my system by the afternoon I can run/workout/lift/hike or whatever I feel like. If it's a weight issue then maybe a lot of beer isn't the best idea, but as long as it isn't excessive you can still train or workout and drink good beer.

SadMachine and mnphish like this.
  32. I lift 3x a week and run twice I have for years. I have fitness related goals, and beer related goals.

33. JulianC

JulianC Savant (380) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

I stay in constant marathon shape to maintain my weight. Run 2-3 marathons a year with a smattering of shorter races throughout. Dead of winter you'll find me out there running 10 milers. Ran 20 before Dark Lord Day in a feeble attempt to offset the debauchery.

34. My main concern with beer as it relates to my fitness has nothing to do with the (crap) calories. I'm more concerned about the hormonal effects of beer. They really should call a "beer belly" what it is - an estrogen belly, or even a pregnancy belly.

Cjames88 and BdubleEdubleRUN like this.
  35. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

OP, I forgot to mention, rare, brewery only, Whale beers will also usually have less calories and more flavor than regular beers. So if you exclusively drink those, that helps the fitness too ;).

vonnegut21 likes this.
  36. Bodybuilding for god knows how many years, fives times per week with some yoga on the side. I can't go as nuts with the beer as I would like but I can still enjoy myself because I feel the cardio and clean diet make up for it. Or im just delusional haha

BdubleEdubleRUN likes this.
  37. Brodie91

Brodie91 Initiate (0) New York Jul 13, 2012

I don't do any competitions or marathons or anything like that but im really into fitness. My love of being in shape and healthy actually is more than my love of beer. I typically workout 6 days a week and a main rule I have is I can't drink unless I worked out that day. I usually only drink during the weekends but may have a beer while watching a game with friends on a weekday. Im only 22 so its easy to stay in shape and since one of my dreams is to go into the military (particularly navy seals) I don't allow myself to deviate from my plans. It's just all about discipline

ripps1, BdubleEdubleRUN and JulianC like this.
  38. mnphish

mnphish Savant (375) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

I have a really hard time finding a balance between beer and working out...It's kind of one or the other for me. I think i'm going to take a little hiatus from the brewski's

My biggest problem is after a workout knowing that I shouldn't drink because it slows the recovery process so much, but it's so tempting.

39. pghlee

pghlee Savant (265) Georgia Feb 24, 2006

I also cycle over 100 miles a week and lost over 50 pounds in 10 months. My early motivation was to pick a bar a few miles away, ride there, have a beer or two and ride home. I finish almost every ride with a beer

Jaycase likes this.
  40. BGsWo22

BGsWo22 Advocate (530) New York Sep 21, 2012

I count calories everyday and workout 5 days a week (Cardio and weights) and play softball and football on weekends all so that I can enjoy beer on the weekends and occasionaly 1 or 2 on a week night.
    All about self control