Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

beer and liver sausage....?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by scruffwhor, Feb 23, 2013.

1. scruffwhor

scruffwhor Savant (450) Illinois Apr 3, 2005

Hello, BA folks.

I grew up eating liver sausage (leberwurst, Braunschweiger) my whole life. It's quite the comfort food for me! Thanks German ancenstry!

I was wondering if any other BA's share my fondness with this poor mans' liver pate`and what beer's seem to compliment it the best.

I like to schmeer my leberwurst on a "chicken in a bisket" cracker... sometimes with some sharp cheddar cheese. Then was it down with a crisp German pilsner or malty bock.

Let's here it!!
  2. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I will confess to liking it. I had it as a lunch meat as a kid and I still like it. Never paired it with a beer.
  3. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (690) Maryland Jan 13, 2013 Verified

I love a good liverwurst sandwich with red onion and whole grain mustard.

I think I'd go with a substantial German beer. Probably a Dunkel, a Mäzen, or a Doppelbock.
  4. grantcty

grantcty Savant (295) Minnesota Feb 17, 2008

Count me as a braunschweiger lover as well! It's great with dunkel bock, but I think it would go well with most German styles. Since Maibock season is fast approaching, I think I'll have to try that combo.

OP: If you ever find yourself in Monroe, WI I'd recommend stopping at Baumgartner's Cheese Store and Tavern for a Braunschweiger Sandwich and a Huber bock. If you're so inclined (or adventurous, crazy, etc ;)) , have the Limburger sandwich as well.
  5. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (670) Missouri May 11, 2012 Verified

I have a chub of Hasmacher in my fridge right now.

Naturally, a German brew would match up well but I think a IPA works best. Especially if you are putting some charp cheddar on it
  6. I have found that German force meat pairs well with a litre of Bitburger!