1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer and pesticides?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by walterfredo, Sep 26, 2013.

1. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (270) California Nov 22, 2011

Totally random question here, not sure where to even ask it or if anyone would actually know the answer, but...

We are having our house and garage tented and treated for termites, we are taking all food items and consumables to a friend's house to store during the treatment. I have a crapload of beer in my cellar fridge in the garage, wife thinks I should remove it all as well but I'm dreading it ... Packing it all up moving and then moving it back after. I'm sure it's the wise thing to do, but the lazy person in me says it's all sealed up and removing it is unnecessary. Thoughts?

2. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

i'd just ask the exterminator and do what they tell you to do. its not as if the pesticide is going to get into the beer itself, but it could possibly settle on the caps and bottles and then be transferred when pouring. anything inside the fridge seems to be safe, but ask the licensed expert.

good luck with the termites.
    Cheers.

3. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (270) California Nov 22, 2011

The handout from the exterminator says factory sealed cans are fine, makes no mention of bottles but I imagine they'd fall under the same category, but we're erring on the side of caution and removing all food items. Wife is particularly concerned about the corked bottles.

4. machalel

machalel Aficionado (245) Australia Jan 19, 2012

Inside a sealed bottle, which is then inside a sealed fridge? I'd say they will be fine, just be sure to clean & wash them before use.

5. Sounds like you need to get to waxin'.