1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Beer and Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SummitSeries72, Jun 7, 2013.

1. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Member

Enjoying beer and attempting to lose weight are two concepts that are, practically speaking, almost irreconcilable. I know that a beer or two is not overly problematic. But, let's face it, who wants to stop after a beer or two? Also, beers with higher ABVs (think IPAs, stouts, etc.) tend to pack on gut quicker. I was just wondering what insights and tips people might have to keep the weight off while enjoying our favorite beverage of choice (beer) at the same time.
  2. Stevedore

Stevedore Member

Hit the gym.
    KWMiles, Theniz, cfrances33 and 15 others like this.
  3. fineout

fineout Member

i stopped drinking beer on weekdays unless its a special occasion, if you want to get serious about losing weight dont get serious about taking beer as a hobby, if you want to lose some weight watch what you eat and excersize a lot. its really pretty simple.
  4. bramsdell

bramsdell Member

Not irreconcilable at all:

Energy in vs. energy out. If they are equal, you will maintain. More in = weight gain; more out = weight loss.

It's pretty easy to figure out how much energy you expend every day. Spend a few minutes online with a few calculators and you can do it.

Insight: Drink less. Or don't and exercise more. Also, eat as little processed food as possible and don't eat other crap. Enjoy drinking and eating, but adhere to some of the basic facts of nutrition and energy.
  5. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Member

Eat healthy and exercise daily. Works for me.
  6. TheGoof

TheGoof Member

If you have the time, just work out more. If you don't have the time to work out a lot, you're going to have to cut back somewhere with food/beer.
  7. pcsnyder

pcsnyder Member

If you really want to lose weight, pay attention to your daily intake of calories, fat, and fiber, and get plenty of exercise. As long as you burn more calories per day than you consume, you should lose weight (generally speaking). You can still allot enough calories for a beer or two, as long as you're up and moving around enough to burn off the extra calories. Just don't pick beers with a high calorie count.
  8. loafinaround

loafinaround Member

only 1 beer a day.... and try to avoid too many caloric 16% abv stout bombs.

And hit the gym... big time. I'm dropping weight with my 1 resin/day habit. I'm doing 30 min cardio and 40 min weight training 6 days a week, and maintaining a reasonable diet.
    musicman7070 likes this.
  9. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Member

Going on 70 days now w/o a beer. 16 pounds down.
    Cardio. Diet. Weights.
  10. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Member

Yes, but I find that the better beers tend to have a higher calorie count. I love stouts and IPAs, but they are not low in calories.
  11. LeeMarvin

LeeMarvin Member

If I cut beer out of my diet, I'd drop 20 pounds in a month.
  12. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Member

If you're drinking beer, I assume you're of age. If you're of age, act like it. Practice some self control.

Also, stop eating shit food when you're drinking. Its usually not that IPA or Saison that's giving you spare tires. Its those chips and guac that you're eating while you're drinking that IPA or Saison.

Losing weight isn't hard. Its the mindset behind losing the weight that is hard.
  13. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Member

Congrats and good for you. But, keep in mind, or reread the original post: I was hoping to lose weight and keep the beer.
    Shogun730 likes this.
  14. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

Drink in moderation or exercise more. There's not really any shortcut around this. Replace drinking with lighter, flavorful beers and if you really can't stop after a beer or two then you need to fix that. Skip some drinking if you want a high abv beer or cut out some snacks.
  15. Dburke

Dburke Member

Easy answer: At the end of the day all that matters in calories in vs. calories out. If you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight, if you take in more calories than you burn, you will gain weight.

HOWEVER

Something to keep in mind- your body is constantly burning fat all day long to keep you alive (fat metabolism),BUT as we know, alcohol is toxic to the body. When alcohol is consumed all fat metabolism is halted in order to rid the alcohol.

IF you have still created that caloric deficit even with the consumption of beer you will be fine and you can afford the stop in fat burning. If you have taken in too many calories during the day the stoppage of fat burning will only lead to fat storage with the extra calories consumed.
  16. ESeab

ESeab Member

Not by the looks of your avatar>
  17. GimmeGumballHead

GimmeGumballHead Member

this is surprisingly accurate. I did 2 weeks before the tough mudder without any alcohol and steady workout, I lsot 10 lbs. Of course I put it all back on in 2 days because of Chicago Craft Beer Week :D
    sholle, ChanChan and LeeMarvin like this.
  18. GimmeGumballHead

GimmeGumballHead Member

Hot yoga is also a great way to keep the toxins and bad fatty stuff out of your system... sweating in general is healthy.
    Dracarys and Psykhe like this.
  19. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Member

Which is an excellent point. In my younger days, a lifetime ago, it seems, another mind-altering substance always seemed to bring on "the munchies." I never hear people talk about beer and "the munchies." But I definitely believe that there is the same relationship.
  20. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Member

I saw and good luck with that boss.
  21. MyIronLung

MyIronLung Member

I drink a couple headys a night at about 400 calories each. Just get a good cardio workout in for at least an hour 3/4 times a week. Watch your diet and you shouldn't have any problems loosing weight and keeping it off.
  22. beercanman

beercanman Member

A good diet and some exercise. I went vegan 2 years ago for a bet and have not went back, well 99.9% of the time. My weight is staying the same.
  23. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Member

Point taken. Thanks.
  24. YieldToNothing

YieldToNothing Member

do cardio
    count your calories
    fit beer into your daily caloric budget
    pick one day every week to say "fuck counting calories"
  25. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Member

Good stuff.
  26. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Member

Haha...I wish that was me...I would've been in one of my favorite movies of all time.
    sarcastro, ESeab and dianimal like this.
  27. mcomben

mcomben Member

Down 43 lbs since February 1st and beer intake was issue #1 on my lifestyle change.
    • Stopped drinking during the week (for the most part).
    • Stopped buying bottled IPA's so I don't have the excuse that it "needs to be consumed fresh".
    • If I know I'm going out for an evening with my wife or friends I make it a point to knock out cardio earlier in the day.
    • Most importantly, I have completely changed my eating habits.
    Still have weight to lose, but it is possible to find a healthy balance between being a beer drinker and losing weight.
  28. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Member

Great post. Good for you! BTW, how do you get your IPAs now?
  29. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Member

If you're drinking 2+ beers every night, and have been doing so for the past couple months or years (don't even get me started on weekends included) then cut out beer altogether for 2 weeks if you have the will power. Or limit your self to one night of drinking during the week and one during the weekend. Easier said than done.

You'll drop a quick 5+ pounds to start, then go from there.
  30. Dennoman

Dennoman Member

The problem with me is I usually get the munchies when I drink. My main focus on changing my lifestyle wasn't my overconsumption of beer, but mostly eating too much and lack of exercise.

I've lost close to 100 lbs since early last July.
  31. T-RO

T-RO Member

I agree with the calories in / out replys. I use myfitnesspal on my phone to track calories. Drink every day. Started 1/3/2012 hit goal 10/31/12 down 42 ibs (246 initial). Oh and took up running (which I hate) but needed calories out!
    spedprof and SummitSeries72 like this.
  32. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Member

Put My Fitness Pal on your phone, log every calorie. Cut calories from food to fit in beer calories. Your body has a maintenance level of calories (we can estimate this based on height, weight, activity, etc) and if you eat less then that limit, you lose weight, if you eat more you gain. It's really simple. Simple, not necessarily easy.
    spedprof, SummitSeries72 and mcomben like this.
  33. mcomben

mcomben Member

Thanks man.

Mostly stick to draft, that way its one and done. Founders All Day IPA is my jam right now, and according to the Founders FAQ there are 147 calories per 12 oz serving. Not quite 'diet food', but given the option of drinking a 12 oz can of Coke or an All Day I'll take the session beer.
    Fargrow likes this.
  34. mcomben

mcomben Member

I'll second myfitnesspal. Using the app to log everything allows you to have a complete understanding of your daily intake. It completely retrained my perception on eating.
    spedprof and SedateSix like this.
  35. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Member

Those saying that its just calories in and calories out are missing the point. The calories you get from eating say chicken breast have protein and many other nutrients you are not going to get from beer. They are not close to equal, alcohol is empty calories with no nutritional value. Sure you could become an alchorexic, get most of your calories from beer and you will still loose weight as long as you have a calorie deficit. This is terribly unhealthy and your muscle will just deteriorate. Your body can't store alcohol and must metabolize it right away, wich gets in the way of it metabolizing say sugar etc. and essentially burning fat. If your goal is to loose weight, beer at the very least will make the process much slower. If you really want to loose weight but still want to drink beer, drink only on the weekend or limit it to one cheat day per week. Then go all out with calorie counting and exercise during the week. Once you get down to your goal weight, you will be able to maintain it with a good diet and exercise and still be able to drink beer. But, while you are loosing the weight, beer is completely counterproductive and not just because of the calories.
    Padraig, HopHead84, EricDu and 5 others like this.
  36. bramsdell

bramsdell Member

What most people don't realize is that you can actually lose weight consuming nothing but beer and butter. It would be tough - and your heart would probably crap out - but it is possible. It's all consumption versus usage.
  37. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Member

Wow, good for you. I definitely get the munchies when I drink beer. I get ravenous after kicking back a few.
    Geuzedad likes this.
  38. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Member

Great post.
    Shogun730 likes this.
  39. Busker

Busker Member

interesting chart I found online[​IMG]
    williamjbauer, kemoarps and JulianC like this.
  40. Busker

Busker Member