1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer and Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SummitSeries72, Jun 7, 2013.

1. As the great Arnold once said "milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer"

If Mr. Universe can drink beer and get a good pump still, so can you.
  2. That's an excellent chart. Would you happen to have the website URL for that, by any chance?
  3. Excellent point. So if my wife complains that I'm drinking too many, I'm just gonna say "You want me to look like Arnold, don't you?"
    Feel_the_Darkness likes this.
  4. Busker

Busker Savant (315) Connecticut Apr 17, 2008

5. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (325) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

I had no problem losing weight while drinking great beer. Exercise, real food, and intermittent fasting.
    joelwlcx likes this.
  6. It's way beyond consumption versus usage. Alcohol slows down your body ability to burn fat. Its counterproductive not just because of the calories. It makes it more likely for your body to store other types of calories as fat (such as carbs and lipids). Your liver uses excess vitamins to rid itself of alcohol. It decreases testosterone, which makes it more difficult to build muscle. It slows down the time it takes for your body to recover between exercise. It goes on and on and on. Drinking beer is among the best ways to get fat and one of the worst ways to loose weight.
    JulianC likes this.
  7. Patrick999

Patrick999 Savant (405) Florida Oct 18, 2006

You can do it, it's possible. You just have to be aware of what you're drinking and eating. These days I try to not drink that much of the high-ABV stuff - those are the big calorie bombs. I've also long thought that the weight gain many of us experience is not necessarily due to the beer itself..........it's the food we tend to consume while we are drinking said beer.
  8. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Savant (495) Indiana Jun 15, 2010

If you can't give up beer for a couple of weeks in order to drop a few pounds

A) you have a problem
    B) you do not really want to lose the weight that badly
    Izbiz, Mullen2525 and Dracarys like this.
  9. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Limit myself to 1-2 beers per day during the week and hit the gym 4-5 days per week. Eat relatively healthy and balance out my diet based on how much I drank/ate the night/day before. It can be done, but does take some will power. When I decided to get back into shape like 2-3 years ago, one of the ways I kept my calories in check without being a total loser about it was to simply account for the beer. If I eat a light lunch or run an extra mile, I can have an extra beer. If I went out for a burger and fries, I'd keep my beer in take lower.
  10. I was once 280 pounds about 4 years ago and drank beer like nobody's business. I'm now 176 pounds and enjoy beer in moderation. The only way someone is going to lose weight and still enjoy a few brews a week is to make sure you are committed to a good resistance training program. I can't tell you how many people I know that think just running and cardio alone does the trick, it doesn't. People need to realize that to keep your metabolism up and burning off more calories when you are not working out you have to pack on more lean muscle, and the only way you can do that is with weight training.
  11. Jvrdz24

Jvrdz24 Savant (325) Texas Mar 26, 2012

I can drink an All Day IPA for @ 135 calories. Nice! I'll take that all day!
  12. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

For people looking to cut calories, I recommend drinking Hottenroth from the Bruery. It probably has less than 200 calories in the whole 750 mL bottle.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  13. Burkbom23

Burkbom23 Savant (360) Connecticut Mar 11, 2013

Its tough. As others have said you have to burn more than you take in. So if you are adding more beer to your week you have to either take in less calaories through food, or increase your work outs.
  14. Benish

Benish Savant (470) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

It's the input of calories vs. output of calories. Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, lots of beans, moderate in meat, and NO soda, heck even try tofu every now and then. Be physically active most days of the week. For me I run most days and take my son on a bike ride routinely. There's no "special" diet to fix weight loss, but to eat mindfully. It should be part of a lifestyle, just like brushing your teeth. I'm a dietitian BTW, I studied this for 5 years and surprisingly it's not rocket science.

When it comes to beer though....be considerate of how much you consume. The biggest factor for me is the cost of beer. In this economy, I have to be frugal. Thats what keeps my intake in check.
  15. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Spot on.
    Several years ago I lost 40lbs doing just that, except that beer was a rarity throughout.
    Took me 6 months to lose that 17%. Nowadays I would definitely "budget in" beer.
    If you are being honest with the calories you can eat/drink anything.
    And plenty o water.
  16. dcloeren

dcloeren Savant (450) Texas Sep 15, 2010

Why would you want to moderate in meat...?
  17. GRbruR

GRbruR Aficionado (130) Utah Jan 5, 2008

I run with a group of people that mix trail running with beer drinking... we go out and do a trail run as a group (6-12 of us, usually) and head to a bar for a few brews at night. I burn about 1200 calories on the run, so I don't feel bad about having 3-4 beers later on. Plus, it's fun as shit.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  18. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

yep that's why I have to keep drinking as well. I can't afford to lose 20 pounds a month.
    otispdriftwood likes this.
  19. Can you drink and exercise at the same time? Now that would be something.
  20. Really? As a dietician you believe alcohol has no additional effects on the metabolism? Most dieticians would agree that alcohol diminishes your bodys ability to burn fat.
  21. dcloeren

dcloeren Savant (450) Texas Sep 15, 2010

1-2 beers a day drinker here. Have maintained my weight for the past 3 years after losing 40 pounds.

Its all about diet and exercise. I'm sorry but the whole calories in vs calories out isn't a solid theory. I have a steady diet of whole foods and I exercise 5-6 days a week. Get your ass in the gym and lift some weights! Don't bother with jogging or any form of steady paced cardio - its a complete waste of time and you will be skinny fat at best. Go up to your local high school and run some bleachers and do some sprints if you are looking to do cardio. If you can't run them, walk them and build up. All you need is 30-45 minutes a day.

Cheers and good luck!
  22. Benish

Because it seems when most people eat meat(in Wisconsin)3 quarters of the plate is meat and 1 quarter is something else. I'm not implying meat is bad but fruit and vegetables should come first. That's all. Plus some meats are high in saturated fats. Sorry, it was a very general statement I made before.
  23. There's absolutely no reason to cut beer out of your diet if you're trying to lose weight. Exercising and eating right regularly allow you to consume all sorts of different foods and beers! I am no picture of health, but I can honestly say that in the past five years my beer consumption has increased and my weight has decreased. Why you ask? Because my meal choices are much healthier and my exercise routine is much more frequent and intense.

Also, I never, ever drink soda. What the hell is the point? If I am going to drink carbonated sugar water it may as well have some hops and some alcohol in it, no?
    alysmith4, Dope, fuzzylogic and 4 others like this.
  24. Benish

I didn't even go that far to talk about beer, of course it does!
  25. Is head cheese the .1%? Because it should be.
  26. IMO, beers should be treated at "garbage calories" and you need to burn those some way. I do tons of cycling (and running, pushups, situps), but 5-8 hours of cycling on the weekend will burn 5,000-10,000 calories.

For me, cycling has been the trick. Went from 217 lb to 195 lb since December.
    Benish likes this.
  27. I can't say much on the "losing weight" part of it because I am only 130 something pounds. But I stay healthy. I usually have 1-2 beers a night. I treat it as having a snack. If I'm having beer then I'm not having junk food.
    I don't count calories, I only mostly only pay attention to my macros (proteins, carbs, fat). I weight train 4-5 times a week and run (when I'm not being lazy) I need to boost my intake so I can actually start gaining weight.
  28. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Ever try doing jumping lunges while intoxicated? Good fun.
  29. Bingo!
  30. I'm on Day 15 (of a Whole 30) without a beer or alcohol of any kind. The peeps down at Fremont must have thought I died.
  31. I plan on falling off the wagon 1 July w/ some CBS, Old Bridge Rider and BA Sexual Chocolate.
    Tacoboomerang likes this.
  32. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Eating better/less and not as much beer has helped. Sometimes I have 1-5 but most days I dont have anything except a gallon of water. Ive lost close to 50 pounds in the past 3 months so Id say my plan has been working
    frothyhead likes this.
  33. You're asking the wrong guy. I don't even know what a jumping lunge is.
  34. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Keep in mind nutritionists tend to erroneously claim there are only three fuels for the body - carbs, fat, and protein. They neglect the fact that beer (and alcohol in general) provides a fourth fuel - acetate. If acetate is used, it does not get readily converted to carbs or fat.

Just a little tidbit. I'll let others examine the implications.
  35. Neorebel

Neorebel Savant (365) New Jersey Jun 29, 2005

Count your calories and consider the beer your snack for the day, that's what I do. Calories generally go by ABV - here's a simple formula: (oz x ABV)/60 x150 = number of calories in the beer
  36. douginromeo

douginromeo Savant (315) Michigan Apr 1, 2013

Got a buddy who did Weight Watchers, never stopped drinking beer, and lost 100 lbs. He changed the way he ate, and saved points for beers.
  37. I drink beer every day and I'm in marathon running/competitive rock climbing shape. What it comes down to is being willing to put in the time and effort to get in/stay in good shape. I eat and drink whatever I want, but I also push beyond what I may want to do in the rock gym or when I'm out running so that I can maintain that lifestyle and my shape (and even get in better shape)!
  38. Your body rarely converts carbohydrates to fat directly. Under specific conditions it can during a process called de novo lipogenesis.

And yes, alcohol has multiple negative effects. But I would agree with the "beer and butter" comment. Its simply calories in vs out. If you're under your maintenance calories for the day and drinking beer, you can't store fat.