1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer and Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SummitSeries72, Jun 7, 2013.

1. ktblue22

ktblue22 Aficionado (230) Vermont Feb 15, 2013

I think the real recipe for disaster is typical beer munchies - pizza, burgers, wings, cheese...etc.

Eat more salad and straight protein. Beer = carbs, so try to cut as much of that other stuff out as possible

2. Enjoy your beer. Eat less and exercise a little more.

I recall that Clint Eastwood got into weight lifting because he liked to drink beer.

3. alcstradamus

alcstradamus Savant (405) Iowa Aug 10, 2008

These two posts show me that you don't really understand weight loss, and should probably refrain from giving advice to the OP

To keep it simple, if you were to have lost 5 lbs per week you would have had to maintain a 2500 calorie defecit per day for 14 straight days. Unless you weight 300+ lbs, this really isn't possible even with hard workout and minimal eating. What you lost was purely water weight, and it has no long term benefits for true weight loss.

Putting it back on in 10 days confirms this, as this also would not be possible unless you consumed about 35,000 extra calories per day on top of your basic metabolic rate. Unless you drank like 175 beers in those 2 days, I don't think beer week affected you. Once again, this was just your body rehydrating itself from the temporary weight you dropped.

Then, you recommend hot yoga which certainly has health benefits, but also is a gimmick designed for quick (water) weight loss that doesn't help in keeping and maintaining long term goals. It is a way to trick women through marketing that weight loss is easy, much like diet pills and diet-of-the-month crazes do. There are certainly mental benefits to it, but not related to what the OP is looking for.

And in general response to the OP, there are just 2 pieces of advice I can give you:

1) Pay attention to every person in this thread who posted that calories in < calories burnt. It really is that easy. Not easy mentally though. Buy a gram scale to weight your portions and keep track of calories consumed throughout the day, calculate your metabolic rate using one of the many online calculators, and consume about 500 calories per day less than that on average to lose a healthy 1 lb. per week.

2) Be patient. If you think that living your normal life and drinking lots of beer can be turned into quick weight loss with a couple of quick tips on the internet, you are dead wrong. Shoot for a 1 lb. per week goal for long term weight loss and a successful lifestyle change.

TheGoof and SummitSeries72 like this.
  4. alcstradamus

100% wrong. It is the only theory that truly matters. Everything else is merely a way to sell a book. Ironically, all these books do is just teach you calories in vs. calories out...they just do it in different gimmicky ways.

AlcahueteJ and TheGoof like this.
  5. I did really well dieting when I gave myself one cheat day. Usually a Saturday. Stay within your diet/calories 6 days a week (you can still usually fit in a beer or two) then do worry about anything once a week. I still lost weight and it made the diet much more tolerable.

6. dcloeren

dcloeren Savant (460) Texas Sep 15, 2010

Sorry man, but no, that is not the only theory that truly matters...

GimmeGumballHead likes this.
  7. alcstradamus

For the goal of simply losing weight, yes it is. (barring any sort of thyroid condition or giganticism or something like that)

Everything else about carbs, fat, sugars, blah blah blah has very minor effects in comparison to the calorie counting game and should only be focused on for very specific targeted goals once a healthy weight has already been reached. And actually, the act of calorie counting in itself naturally lends itself to cutting out on bad things like sugar and empty carbs anyway.

If you can find ANY peer reviewed work that contradicts this I would love to read it. Or just provide some anecdotal examples of why I am wrong and I will almost surely point out why your evidence is nothing but a disguise for caloric defecit.

As far as my (correct) viewpoint goes, here is something quick and fun to read. I do want to stress though that this is nothing but an anecdotal story and I wouldn't use this in a real debate, because the science behind what I am saying is strong enough that I don't need these cheap tricks:
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

8. DNICE555

DNICE555 Savant (495) Connecticut Aug 13, 2008

GET MONEY PLAN

Breakfast – 1 whole egg, 6 egg whites, one cup of oatmeal (the plain whole oats kind or even better a steel cut kind... none of that sugary flavored chubby crap)

10AM – handful raw unsalted almonds, kashi honey almond flaxseed bar

Lunch – (Salmon, chicken, tuna) and brown rice with veggies

3:00PM – Veggies or salad, (chicken, salmon, tuna)

5:30PM – Slay the gym or beast the mountain bike or hard sparring/training session

7:00PM - Veggies, Salad, (Salmon, chicken)

8:00PM - 5 mile run (weights if you did cardio at 5:30PM)

9:00PM - No Fat Plain Chobani greek yogurt (or comparable).

9:30PM – BEDTIME – sleep is important if you want to be a YETI.

*** Enjoy a couple delicious beers on Friday and Saturday nights***

Repeat 6 days a week with one rest day for 6 months and transform into an ALPHA MALE.

9. As a muay thai fighter I work out a ridiculous amount, including a 6 mile run warm up....However when I need to cut weight, my Kru from thailand literally tells me to drink some beer and play video games cause it takes my mind off food for hours at a time. I eat 3500 Cals a day to maintane about 155-160 lbs around 10% body fat at 5'9.

Some Muay thai fights are at 135 even at 5'9 which means eating about 1600 cals. a day to cut weight.
    BEER = Not thinking about food!!!! unless you drink to much then its FOOD FOOD FOOD!

so I can easily lose weight with beer, or build muscle and stay lean while drinking it. I don' really count calories but I know about how much protein/ fat/ carbs I take in a day.

10. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (485) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Actually healthy home made guacamole (no added sour cream and definitely not that store bought crap) is actually very healthy and nutritious if you use the baked chips as a dipping platform. As some above stated, be sensible in how you drink and eat, exercise, and most of all, stay away from high fat processed foods and definitely stay away from fast food. I personally crave pizza but I make it at home (homemade whole wheat crust using beer in the mix, fresh tomato sauce not from a can, fat free cheese and fresh home grown basil and garlic to make Margarita pies.) It lets me drink the beer I like (in moderation of course) and not pack on the weight from imbibing.

11. derftron

derftron Savant (300) Oregon Feb 8, 2012

I was in the same situation about 4 months ago. I love beer, and more specifically the high percentage stuff. I didnt drink every day, but 2-3 weeknights and at least Friday night and maybe Saturday as well. so thats about 4-5 days a week where I had 2-3 300 calorie beers. I started working out and saw some small improvement, but it wasnt until I understood calories (and more importantly, how MANY are in beer) that I really started to lose weight. I have now lost 25 lbs in about 3 1/2 months and I didnt have to go on some diet that is not sustainable. Here is exactly what I did....

1- Workout 5 days a week at least. It sucks at first, but pretty soon your body will start to crave that afternoon run or weightlifting and it gets easier and feels good. Walking around the block doesnt count. you have to BURN those calories and hit the weights hard. I wont get too specific, but the main point is that you stick to it and do something that is hard and makes you sweat everyday. especially if you work a desk job./

2- Limit my "beer days" to one or two days a week. the bonus of this is that your tolerance will go down so the days of crushing a 6 pack of Old Rasputin are long gone. I can have 2-3 12oz's of some good high percentage beer and have a nice buzz going and that is all I need. maybe combine in with a pour of Jameson and no more is needed unless im going all night.

3- Diet. I used the MyFitnessPal app for at least a month until I pretty much had calories figured out. I eat a ton of rice, beans, meat, and vegetables pretty muuch every day. I also have one "shitty diet" day every 7-10 days. White meat chicken, fish, and veggies can be cooked a zillion different ways. I never have soda and never eat fast food, and I really watch out for sugar, butter, cheese, and snack-type stuff (chips, crackers, cookies, etc.) At some point, you start to eat more for the function of it, and less for the pleasure. When you go out to dinner, just try and stick to basic meats and veggies.

Thats pretty much it. not rocket science. the bad part is that its hard to make the time and commitment and stick to it through little injuries, vacations ( I ran everyday on my vacation this year), and life in general. the good part is that you will see results guaranteed. people who complain that "nothing works" arent trying hard enough and are probably the people who go to the gym just to walk on the treadmill and stretch and dont change their diet. working out to lose weight isnt super easy, but it is pretty simple

12. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (485) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Outstanding man! I too took control of my eating and drinking habits and have dropped 60 lbs since January of 2012. I feel better, my wife says I look better(hell yeah!) and I have more energy to do the things I love(yes other things than just drink beer) Good work brother BA, you are an inspiration to us other beer fans who need a little less intake and a bit more output!

13. Good post.

GimmeGumballHead likes this.
  14. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

For as active as you are on this site 70 days without a beer sounds like some kind of cruel torture. I'd have to pretend this site didn't exist if I was gonna go that long without a beer. Cheers to your self control and perseverance!!

15. If you would like to provide some studies of healthy individuals (as stated earlier, barring thyroid issues) defying the laws of human thermodynamics I would love to read them.

TheGoof likes this.
  16. I cut out soda and juices and started drinking a lot more water. Lost 5lbs in about two weeks, and I was still having 1-2 beers a day (sometimes more). It all went to shit when I relapsed and got back on the Dr. Pepper.

17. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (775) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I used to be about 5'8" 150 (short fucker), but I'm about 160 because of beer. I used to only drink water, but add beer, even just a few a week, and the pounds slowly come on. I've been using MyFitnessPal for a year, and for awhile I was getting 2,300 calories a day without exercise. I'm trying to stay at my recommended amount (2,100) while exercising every now and then.

Best exercise you can do, really, is sprinting stairs. I do that about as hard as I can for about 20 minutes and I'm dripping sweat and feel pretty good afterwards. I plan on going longer the more I do it.

When I have the money, I drink one (MAYBE two) beers a day ... using MFP, I count my calories and try to make sure that I don't get too many.

18. It's not beer that needs to be cut out, but food. I'm pretty sure the guy who fasted for a month and only drank beer lost weight.

Priorities...figure them out.

TheGoof and vince4953529 like this.
  19. You can just cut food from your diet, and keep the beer.

20. It's been no easy feat. I made one concession with the wife several weeks ago when we moved into our new house. We split a celebratory Espresso IRS. I have been using the downtime to stay updated, catch up on a few reviews/notes and places I wanted to add.

bifrost17 likes this.
  21. - Eat Less
    - Drink Less
    - Exercise

1 of the 3 is absolutely required if you want to maintain any sense of healthiness, and 2 of the 3 is necessary if you want to keep the weight off.

I take 3-4 days off a week from any alcohol (usually Mon-Thurs), minimize snacking, try to hit the gym a couple of times a week, and limit big unhealthy meals. I don't really want for anything, drink my fair share of beer, and am able to maintain.

alysmith4 likes this.
  22. i just loss 25 pounds. and never stop drinking beer,

You just have to quit drinking them during weekdays, and eating right..... in my case i work out 2 times a day so... there you go... now that i got a rutine weekly maybe i drink 1 or 2 during the week

23. dcloeren

My point was more along the lines of diet and exercise. Taking care of yourself in a healthy way. I understand that if you eat 1500 calories of twinkies only you will lose weight, but I am more interested in losing/maintaining weight in a healthy manner through diet an exercise. Having a longer lasting effect than crash dieting and then gaining the weight back.

24. This is prob one of the best answers I've seen. I need to start practicing this.

25. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Congrats on the new house! I bet your wallet is almost as happy as your body since you've decided to abstain from beer for the time being.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  26. Dope

Dope Advocate (575) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Crap, I just typed out three paragraphs and then accidentally hit Back by accident.

Long story short, you have really good information but losing weight while drinking MODERATELY is still very doable and honestly quite easily. I've logged over 1000 unique beers (not counting multiples) in the last two years and lost almost 90lbs in the process. Moderate drinking really has minimal effect on the things you mention, getting hammered drunk will definitely be problematic however.

One large format bottle a night for me is plenty.

Dope

27. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

If you want to achieve long-term weight loss, look at it as a long-term project. Recognizable results will come slowly and that's the way it should be, though you'll likely find yourself feeling better (both physically and psychologically) in fairly short order.

Good luck, and be sure not to start disdaining fat people when you're no longer one of 'em.

28. Thanks for the encouragement. And I would never disparage fat people. Though I haven't previously said this, I have actually lost 30 pounds since the beginning of this year. I was actually down 35 pounds until my love for beer resurfaced. I have put five pounds back. It is a struggle. I love beer. As I type this, I am enjoying my first ever Imperial Russian Stout (Stone Brewery, 22 oz. bottle). Ouch, high calories. But I have been hitting the gym lately. Hopefully it will counteract my beer consumption.

29. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

I would agree it's probably hard to lose weight while drinking 2+ beers per day. You might have to give up beer for a while until you lost the pounds, then figure out a system of diet and exercise where your intake of calories (including beers) is about equal to what you burn off each day, so you can maintain that weight.

My program: I switched to a mostly vegetarian diet (meat 1-2 times per week), I run 5k 4 times a week and bicycle to work, and I try to limit the beer to 2 a day, except for special occasions. Working so far. Your results may vary.

30. cwreay90

cwreay90 Savant (395) Texas Nov 19, 2012

I had oral surgery about a year ago that left me unable to eat solid foods for about 4 months. All I consumed was mashed potatoes, nutrition supplements and lots and lots of beer. Lost a little over 35 pounds. So I suppose you could just have a small piece of your jaw removed and drink all the beer you want!... But really, that sh!t sucked! I don't wish that on anyone lol. Just go running 3-4 times a week and cut down on the red meats and junk food/take out :)

beerme411 likes this.

31. No, its not simply calories in vs calories out. Read up on alcohol's effects on the metabolism. When drinking, your body prioritizes metabolizing the alcohol over burning fats and carbs. You are right that if you have a calorie deficit and are drinking beer you will still loose weight. However it will likely be less weight than you would have lost with the same exact calorie deficit minus alcohol. This is because your body will not burn fat while its metabolizing alcohol which slows the rate of weight loss. You can loose weight and be healthy while drinking, but you will loose weight slower. A little bit wont hurt too much, but, the more of your calories that come from alcohol the worst. If you loose weight while drinking and a large portion of your calories come from alcohol you will likely end up being "skinny-fat" even after the weight loss which really is not a good look. I have friends that have lost weight in unhealthy ways while drinking a lot in college. Although they weigh less they don't necessarily look better. While loosing weight they were loosing muscle mass as well and ended up skinny-fat. The only real cure for skinny-fat (unless your goal is to be just skinny and not muscular) is to build lean muscle to get your body fat percentage back down. This also is VERY difficult to do if you are consuming more then a moderate amount of alcohol. The whole process of going from fat to skinny-fat then building back up to a decent size is way more difficult then loosing the weight the right way.

Bottom line you can loose weight will consuming a moderate amount of alcohol. If your goal is to loose weight fast, the alcohol will slow you down. If you are okay with just having a smaller calorie deficit and getting a small portion of your calories from alcohol you will be fine. When trying to burn fat or build muscle, the less alcohol the better.

To the OP: DONT become skinny-fat, its not a good look.

32. UT-Alex

UT-Alex Initiate (0) Texas Sep 15, 2012

Bad advice. Cardio does wonders. I used to run 5 miles 4-6 times a week and didn't have to worry about what I ate or how much beer I consumed. Any exercise is beneficial but to completely knock cardio? I don't get it.

beerme411 and cwreay90 like this.
  34. Wow, so I have to set aside 4000 calories a day just for beer? That's some BS right thurr...

35. That's and old wife's tale.

I bet you also believe fapping will cause your dingy to fall off...

36. dcloeren

I didn't say to completely knock out cardio. I said not to bother with steady paced cardio such as jogging or the elliptical for instance. Steady paced cardio not only burns fat but it also burns muscle, therefore you get skinny fat.
    Not to mention that jogging is hell on your joints. If you really want to get lean, you have to build lean muscle and lose body fat. Weights, sprints, bleachers etc...

But, anything beats sitting on the couch and not exercising for sure.

Frankinstiener likes this.
  37. lift heavy, drink less, eat meat

38. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (360) California Sep 28, 2010

[​IMG]
    "So here's to good Miller who cut out the filler and made a beer worthy of song To Miller 64 To Miller 64 To love, sweat and beers and well-deserved cheers To Miller 64":D

39. UT-Alex

UT-Alex Initiate (0) Texas Sep 15, 2012

Just curious, do you regularly run?

Jogging isn't bad for your joints. That's somewhat of a myth. If you already have issues then it will make it worse but it's not going to give you arthritis. I'd agree with you on having a balanced exercise routine including weights and other forms of cardio (cycling, swimming, etc.).

What the hell is skinny fat? I've seen serious runners that are really skinny but I'm not familiar with skinny fat lol.

cwreay90 and beerme411 like this.
  40. 46and2

46and2 Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 28, 2008