1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer and Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SummitSeries72, Jun 7, 2013.

1. 46and2

46and2 Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 28, 2008

"skinny fat" is an often used term that describes your basic skinny person that has very little muscle but is still skinny. You know, people that are just skinny by default but in reality still have a pretty high body fast % compared to someone their size/weight that has more lean muscle.

130lb skinny fat girl = meh
    130lb in shape girl that actually lifts weights = woohoo

Stugotzo and Frankinstiener like this.
  2. Just cut down on other things and work out. I don't drink soda anymore, maybe a single can once a month or two. Exercise is really where it is at. Exercise plus an active, outgoing life style = healthy. I lost a bunch of weight fairly quickly by going crazy hiking up mountains, while no cutting down on my beer consumption at all. Plus, if you are REALLY pushing yourself with exercise, you'll still end up eating what you want (get that protein!)

3. Dracarys

Dracarys Savant (315) Alabama May 28, 2013

Steady paced cardio doesn't burn muscle any more than sprinting, rowing, or anything else burns muscle. Whether or not your body starts breaking down muscle depends on its available energy sources. Protein degradation pathways don't have it out for jogging.

Jogging and running are completely fine for weight control, which is what most people who work out are looking to do.

UT-Alex likes this.
  4. RobM77

RobM77 Aficionado (170) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

If you are truly serious about shedding major pounds - beer if off your diet. Very sad. If your interest is maintaining where you are, simply be smart about your consumption and have an adequate knowledge of how many calories are in your beer. Someone stated earlier that higher ABV beers have more calories - this is true. 12 ounces of a 9-10% ABV beer will have around 280-320 calories. Ouch. Everyone's caloric needs will differ. I suggest seeing a "real" nutritionist to get some answers. 3,500 calories burned will reduce your body weight by one pound. It really, truly is that simple. You can exercise 5 days a week and burn 700 calories (this would be a fairly strenuous level of activity for about 45-55 minutes), or you can make it a combination of wiser food choices and modest exercise. It doesn't matter the combination on how you do it - but if your input is reduced by 3,500 calories a pound will shed. It's not magic, it's math. Counting calories, extremely boring as it is - does work. Also what is helpful is eating three regular meals a day, supplemented with three small snacks, about 150 calories per snack. Between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner and again around 8 at night. This keeps the metabolism firing. A nice, easy to use, free calorie counting program available on the web and as a downloadable app for Android, Apple and Windows devices is MyFitnessPal. I've used it religiously. Went from 223lbs to 167lbs in the span of 9 months. However... didn't get to enjoy a single beer in there! If you want to simply maintain - then moderation is the key. Know when to say when, when to stop drinking. Know if that "big beer" is 300 calories, treat yourself if you know you burned an extra 300 that day. Also, 'banking' calories doesn't help. Don't go without breakfast, and eat a bigger dinner thinking you still only consumed 1800 calories for a day. it doesn't work that way, you need to constantly feed through the day to keep the metabolic fire burning. Sorry - more than you wanted to hear... but a topic I am very familiar with. Enjoy your beer!

5. Skinny fat is when you may be at an okay weight for your height but too high of a body fat percentage. I would say like 16 - 28 % for men and higher than that for women. You might look okay with a shirt on, but will sure as hell look like shit without one. If you lost the fat you would be just skinny and not muscular. It happens when people either loose weight unhealthy while loosing muscle, or start out skinny and then eat whatever the hell they want without lifting weights. It's not a good look for anyone but can be especially difficult for women. A skinny fat women who only does cardio can risk loosing her "assets" along with her beer gut if she only does cardio and counts calories while drinking booze.

edit: 46and2 beat me to it and is correct the same women (or man) can look a hell of a lot better at the same exact weight with a lower body fat percentage.

6. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (360) California Sep 28, 2010

More serious post this time. I would recommend against using weight loss as your (this applies to anyone) motivation, you will get bored with it. Find an activity that you enjoy that requires you to maintain a certain physic to get the most out of it. It's not about diets and exercise, rather it's changing your the way you live. Weight loss (or rather fat loss) should be happy side-effect, not that main goal. Plus finding friends who don't value beer as their main hobby is good. If you're around people who drink less you probably will too eventually. YMMV

I like biking road and mountain, as well as backpacking. I also know that older riders tend to get HUGE, because they quite biking as much, but ate the same amount. Just a word of warning there as well.

Edit: I also just drink less then most people here it seems, rarely more then a 750ml in one sitting and often less then a 6 pack a week. More during events like holidays though.

7. dcloeren

dcloeren Savant (460) Texas Sep 15, 2010

Jogging is definitely bad for your joints. It's a repetitive pounding on your joints over and over and over.

I don't regularly jog but I used to. I was a starting pitcher in college and did more 3+ mile runs then I care to remember. I do regularly go to the track and do sprints and bleacher based workouts. My brother has been wearing a heart monitor that keeps track of your pulse and graphs it out for you with calories burned and what not. The bleacher and sprint workouts have him burning more calories and getting to a higher heart rate than when he jogs at a steady pace for the same amount of time. Just some food for thought.

Glad we can agree about having a balance of the two. I guess the overall point is just getting off the couch and doing something physical.

Skinny fat is the worst. I saw some other people already explained what it is. It's basically being soft and doughy even though you are at a "skinny" weight.

8. I hate to burst your bubble but this is not true. In fact, many power lifters use an intermittent fasting schedule that has 16 or 24 hour windows of fasting and they get along just fine. The 'stoking the fires' thing is a myth.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

Leepa_Time, AlcahueteJ and dcloeren like this.
  9. Spot on, there are plenty of articles out there, most recently in the men's journal I think that prove "beer gut" is a myth. Its the shit you eat while drinking.

10. Crush brews hard enough that you expend as much energy and burn as many calories as u ingest. I say this in jest, but be a man!

sendsilk likes this.
  11. 46and2

46and2 Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 28, 2008

"Eating clean" is a huge factor. I've eaten very well and tracked calories and exercise for the last 7-10 months (dropping 70lbs over the last 18 months or so) and am now in complete control of gaining/losing/maintaining just by changing diet slightly and workout type etc. My maintenance is about ~3500 calories and I'm generally around 300g protein, 300g carbs, 120g fat. I find if I eat perfect, it is almost hard to eat that much of quality food! I now drink on softball night only (the only day I don't workout) but I enjoy a few and don't worry about tracking. If I'm "cutting" I still use that night of the week for beer but I make sure to be low carb the 2 days before hand and have that beer night be my "high carb" refuel day. Doesn't seem to hurt my rate of cutting when I want to do so and I've done a 12 week no beer period and 4 or 5 cutting/building/cutting phases.

12. like people have said before, calories burned>intake and you will lose weight...

...you could always skip meals during the day to make caloric room for those extra beers. Also, by skipping meals you will likely be unable to drink more than one or two big brews, so it kind of solves 2 problems...

gcamparone likes this.
  13. .... and creates 5 more

14. I managed to lose about 50 pounds over the past year or so (went from almost 230 down to 180 currently). I didn't change my drinking habits. I just focused on what/how much I was eating, and I exercised more.

I might drink 5-6 beers a week, which really isn't a lot. I'm sure heavier drinking would make things more difficult.

15. frothyhead

frothyhead Savant (275) New Jersey Mar 14, 2007

The amount of weight lost in this thread is staggering. Interesting to see how many people had 50, 60, 70, 100 pounds to lose and did it. Myself included, I lost 80 about 8 years ago, which is actually about the time I started to get into craft beer, and I've managed to keep it off (with ups and downs, I love food) since. Sounds to me like drinking beer is good for weight loss motivation! Nice work, everyone.

alysmith4 and SummitSeries72 like this.
  16. Ever hear
    "eat more, lift heavy"

therein lies the answer.

17. yeah, it's the (consistent) heavier drinking that really kills people, totally sabotaging any attempt to lose weight. you're 1.) taking in a shitload of excess calories, 2.) compounding that by eating a bunch of crap while stewed at 1AM, and 3.) probably in no condition to get up and exercise the next day. I limit it to 0-2 on weeknights and then have one night on the weekend where I'll have whatever I want.

18. Yeah, hate to say it folks, but you lose weight while enjoying beer by limiting your beer intake. That simple. I have one, maybe two with good reason, a day while watching a calorie regimen that doesn't often go over 2000 a day (including the beer) and is somewhat Paleo in its theme. Working solidly so far.

19. basscram

basscram Savant (365) Florida Mar 29, 2006

don't eat

20. I'm a runner, so I literally have to drink beer to keep weight on ... Plus I have an active job, so it's never been an issue. Stop drinking sodas and that will keep weight off.

AlMarzo likes this.
  21. AlMarzo

AlMarzo Aficionado (235) Michigan Nov 12, 2011

I lost 100 lbs and never really stopped drinking beer, just cut back to one or two bottles after a run or workout. I still had some weekends where I exceeded 1-2, with or without exercising beforehand . With the overall lifestyle and diet change it worked out

dcloeren likes this.
  22. cw13

cw13 Aficionado (195) New Jersey Jan 1, 2013

I've seen myfitnesspal mentioned on here and I definitely second that recommendation. It allows you to see your net calorie count (intake minus exercise) daily and weekly. While skipping meals to make room for beer is not a good idea, I find it helpful to abstain from beer some days, eat healthy/workout and save some calories for days when I may not be so healthy and throw back a few.

23. I'm 26, I drink a good amount of beer and I don't gain weight. I just exercise and don't eat terribly unhealthy. I think as long as you're not sitting on a couch constantly and sucking back a lot of beer then you're fine. This is why football season is a problem though...

24. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

Best thing to do is drink beer and not eat. The weight will fly right off.

25. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Beats me. I do stop at one or two (if I'm even drinking at all on a given day), and I'm literally the skinniest guy I know. I've never once turned down a beer for caloric/weight reasons. Eat well and exercise...don't know what else to tell you.

26. If you're actually trying to lose weight, you have to figure out what works for your body. I've been on a diet for a few months now. I cut out beer to start and weight came off steadily. I added beer back in for a month, and even when I stayed within my daily calorie limits and exercised, I didn't lose any weight during that time. I didn't gain any, but the alcohol kept me from losing. So I've cut out beer again. I'd rather abstain for a while and get back down to my ideal weight, then add the beer back in when I'm ready to maintain. Yeah, it sucks, but I'd rather have the extra years with my kids and feel better about the way I look. Beer can wait.

27. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

And, I'd like to also add that everyone is different. Some techniques will work for 90% of the people, and some won't work at all. It takes a lot of trial and error to find out what works for "you".

For me, if I do 30 minutes of cardio, first thing in the morning, and do my weight training in the early evening (after work), I get 5x the results if I reverse that training regimen. If I do cardio right after my weight training, my results suck, comparably. So, what do I do now? The latter, of course.... no time to get to the gym twice in a day while working 60 hours a week. :(

28. All my life I was never really in shape but I was never really fat either. I ate what I wanted and didn't worry about it. Mid thirties came along and I hit spot in life we all go through at some point another and lost my Mom. I was driving 4 days a week 1 hour and 15 minutes each way to help out with her and spend time with her while working third shift. I was living off of Mt. Dew and gas station corndogs and all the fastfood close to the hospital. After the shock and early mourning period wore off I found myself to be 6'1" 265 pounds and not happy about it. Never been like that in my life and I decided I was going to change it. I changed the way I ate as people have said on here before. I stayed away from the word diet and started doing little workouts around the house. When I got down to a certain weight I started running , got into 5k's and really started feeling good about things. I now hover between 170 and 185 depending if I'm running more or lifting weights more. I always go back to what my Mom used to say ," Some people live to eat and some people eat to live." I now eat to live , I fuel my body with healthy items and smaller portions 80% of the time and still enjoy a beer or two 3 or 4 days a week.
    Drinking beer while trying to lose weight will only make it harder for you to do so. Try rewarding yourself with a rare beer every 20 pounds or something along those lines. I know its tough but losing weight is tougher and so rewarding when you do it. I have lost the weight and kept it off for 5 years now and I feel better about things and can actually enjoy life again.

alysmith4 likes this.
  29. 1fJef

1fJef Aficionado (175) Maryland May 4, 2013

Have you tried Bulimia?
    that way you get to taste beer and no calories ;)

DropDead likes this.
  30. From my years of bodybuilding I can honestly say that what you consume has more of an impact on your physique than what you do in the gym. If you have poor self control and eat/drink poorly as well than good luck

beerme411 likes this.
  31. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

I started a super-stressful job two weeks ago. I am anxious all day and have no interest in eating, but then have a couple beers to unwind once I get home. I've lost between 6-8 pounds in just two weeks. So my advice would be:
    1. Get a stressful job that ruins your appetite and otherwise ruins your life.
    2. Keep drinking what you're drinking.
    3. Watch the weight melt away.

;)

SummitSeries72 likes this.
  32. your input is useless
    you were probably always skinny and never had to lose a significant amount of weight.

OP needs tips form people who have been there before. I dropped 60 lbs before and OP, my advice about calorie counting and cardio is what did it for me.
    don't be afraid to hit the weights either.
    nothing wrong with aesthetics

33. I am 5'10 and 135 lb for most of my life. At heaviest I was 160 lb and that was 4 years ago. I have been skinny for my whole life and the trick is eat little and exercise occasionally.

34. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Fixed that for you.

35. Good advice, Yield. I've lost 30 (had lost 35, but put 5 back). I'm counting calories and going to the gym. But beer definitely challenges the process. I can go without. But I really like my beer. Hence, my original post.

36. i hear that, i'm kinda in your boat. i got all the way down to 150 before i feel for beer, but i looked like an auschwitz survivor.....beer coupled with a conscious decision to put on some weight has me in the high 160's.
    still keep things in moderation, still eat pretty well most of the time. i try not to drink during the week....maybe a beer or two on weekdays. on the weekends i'll enjoy myself within reason.

you can lose weight and drink beer everyday though....you just need to forego other carbs if that's how you wanna do it.

37. Yep, I agree.

YieldToNothing likes this.
  38. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

Do crossfit 5 days a week and eat meat, vegetables, nuts seeds, and some fruit. If you consume beer after dinner, consider it a meal. I usually eat 4 meals a day then consider my beer consumption my last meal .

39. Non-light beers are around 150-250 calories a pop. You can burn off about 150-200 calories by walking a mile every day. Drink a beer - take a walk.

SummitSeries72 likes this.
  40. Trying to calculate like that is the worst because I would never consume processed food/drinks ever again lol If I imagined that drinking a single beer and eating one of those 25 cent bags of chips was equal to an hour of training well then shit, i'd be sober