1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer and Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SummitSeries72, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Lost 50 lbs last year using myfitnesspal.com app for iPhone. My friends did it too and as a group we lost somewhere close to 150 lbs. While I did cut out beer for the first few weeks, I added it back in and found it was ok but I had to exercise a lot to compensate. Also the nights I put back a lot of beer I cut out calories by not ordering fries, wings, etc. stuck to chicken sandwiches, salads, etc... That app is the only thing that has worked long term and there are a ton of craft beers already in the system...
    riotinmyskull and VonZipper like this.
  2. Great post. Kudos on your weight loss.
  3. Totally agree. I weighed 10 pounds less than I do now when I was living in Belgium for two years. I was drinking 1-3 high ABV beers nightly. I drink less now but my weight has gone up — the difference was I walked everywhere I went in Belgium (and exercising semi-regularly), while I drive everywhere here and haven't exercised as frequently.

Eat right and exercise regularly and — for the most part — you shouldn't have to give up beer.
  4. MattyG85

MattyG85 Champion (770) Minnesota Aug 31, 2010

5. UT-Alex

UT-Alex Initiate (0) Texas Sep 15, 2012

Typically I get full off of beer alone. So I guess that helps balance the calories out. But realistically calorie counting is a little broad, the type of calories you consume have a great deal to do with it as well.
  6. HattedClassic

HattedClassic Savant (455) Virginia Nov 23, 2009

This brings to mind a slogan that I saw on a Boston food truck. "Eat healthy, Get Fit, Still Die." Made me feel better about eating that Pulled Pork sandwich.
    Crimsonfloods likes this.
  7. LukeH

LukeH Aficionado (185) Minnesota May 5, 2013

The thing that I've found that works for me is to eat, drink, and exercise very strictly during the week, and then eat and drink what I want (within reason) on the weekends. I lost over 40 pounds that way. It makes it easier to stick with a diet and exercise plan when you aren't relentlessly strict and you know you have those cheat days to look forward to.

Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, lean proteins, and some healthy fat on my workdays. No beer. An exercise routine of lots of bodyweight exercises, plyo, and running. Then, on the weekends, I throw it all out the window and enjoy myself--once again, within reason. It works for me. It's really the best of both worlds--I feel healthy and in shape that way but I can still enjoy myself on my days off.
  8. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

I probably average a beer a night. I cut out soda/pop (whatever you call it) entirely. I also exercise a few times a week, stop eating before I'm full, and save fried and fatty foods for the weekend. I also hate cooking, so that helps.
  9. Don't drink two days in a row. Try not and drink on weekdays, and if you do, keep it to one beer. Don't eat bad food but once a week, you're probably going to want to do that with beer anyways. The rest of the time, eat well and don't eat a lot of it. Exercise exercise exercise. I'm naturally very thin and lanky, but atm im trying to bulk up so I am eating everything in sight while lifting heavy and drinking ~10 beers a week. If you're trying to lose weight. Do cardio every single day, and stretch. You shouldn't be eating any sweets or carb heavy foods at all (pizza, pasta, pastries etc.)

Good luck.

EDIT: I will add, drink for a purpose. Don't just drink a beer you've had a million times. Make sure you're enjoying the experience, and if you're drinking to get drunk (which all of us do to some extent from time to time) save that for twice a month at most.
    eastman_homebrew likes this.
  10. Very simple: burn more calories than you take in. In other words, if you want to drink beer and lose weight, eat sensibly and exercise a lot!
  11. Drink Tequila; one shot = 76 calories. 2 shots= the buzz from a six pack.
  12. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

2 shots does NOT equal a six pack of beer. At most, it equals 2 beers (light beers at that).
  13. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

I am a marathon runner and find that I can drink whatever I want!!! Of course I have to engage in virtual insanity but at my age that is okay!!
    UT-Alex likes this.
  14. Yes, mathematically the amount of alcohol in 3 ozs of 80 proof liquor is equal to the amount in 24 ounces of 5% ABV beer. Two points however:
    1: It was a joke. Apply sense of humor.
    2: You do a shot of tequila for every light beer I drink and we'll see who falls down first.
  15. god those numbers suck man!!!!!! i wouldnt trade 16 pounds for 70 days of beer free life at anytime. Nonetheless im on a diet as well. Low carb, drink beer 3 times a week, eat around 30 grams of carbs a day, no exercise, and im down 8 pounds in 2 weeks, hope this keeps!!!!! (im not against exercise mind you, its just that i work 70+ hour work weeks in a 100+ degree kitchen, so when i go home i want to relax and drink single malt whiskey when not drinking beer!!!!!!
    VonZipper likes this.
  16. Enjoy life. If being a model isn't your profession, why stress out? If you're obese, then beer isn't your only problem. I'd gladly take on a few extra lbs to not give a damn and enjoy the luxury that is craft beer. I feel good, chicks look better, and everything is good. Besides, those guys that stand outside of Abercrombie & Fitch with their shirts off are tool bags anyway.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  17. Stugotzo

Perhaps you need to look up "shot", or your calorie counter is broken.

1 oz of 80 proof Tequila (or vodka, rum, gin, whiskey, etc.) ~ 70 calories.

In the USA, a shot is 1.5 oz. In the UK, it's anywhere from 25-35ml (.83 - 1.17 oz)

So, your point about "mathematically" is correct. However, your application of this math to your original post of "76 calories" is completely FUBAR. Nice try though. ;)
  18. Yeah but I also upped protein and put some good weight on. Got my bench press up to 315 again plus I dropped inches. I am pretty happy.

19. Totally. 9 cals per gram of fat, 4 per gram carb/protein, and 7 per gram alcohol!

20. Maybe if you weigh 300 lbs you could burn 200 calories by walking a mile.
  21. I think someone else already mentioned this, but what I try and do is stick to 1 or 2 days a week of drinking (I will only drink on nights when there is no work the next day). I also try and going out to eat at all during the week. This is good for 2 things, weight and wallet. I don't holdback on weekends. The downside of higher ABV is that alcohol has 7 Kcal/gram vs. carbs or protein which have 4 Kcal/g (FYI fat has 9 Kcal/g), which means IPAs usually have many more calories than other beers. I would look for styles of beer with lower ABVs (5% or less will be much lower in calories).
  22. Speaking of which... I had half of an undercover shut down this eve and went on my normal daily speed walk. It seriously made me move like energizer bunny, and I took 15-20 minutes off a typical 2 hr walk! Beer the new Gatorade??
  23. Stugotzo

I'm drinking the same beer as I type. Although I'm not about to go on a "W-A-L-K".... sorry, the dogs are in earshot, and they're watching me type (yes, they know the word "walk", so I have to spell it out). :D
    devlishdamsel likes this.
  24. Sign up and pay for a marathon/half marathon.
    Phyl21ca and alfrantzell like this.
  25. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Ignorant post. Beer is not a drink to lose weight. A better thing is to think about your life and desires and strike a holistic balance. If beer makes you happy how fat will you be willig to be?
    SpunkyHopslammer likes this.
  26. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

I find a couple of things helpful- beer is a worthless carb so substitute it fro your carb in a meal and then really enhance your nutrition with lots of dark greens and other veggies. Substitute beer for desert. Have your beer in the afternoon or early evening rather than late so that you have a chance to burn it off before you go to bed. Lastly, yoga goes good with beer.
  27. JimKal

JimKal Savant (300) North Carolina Jul 31, 2011

28. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I like that... reserve most carbs for beer :p very sound dietary advice.
    protein and veg... cut down on fat and non-beer carbs :D
    Oh, and for many of us, it's not exercise a little more.... it's exercise A LOT more. I'm currently losing a little weight, and I'm doing 30 min of cardio and almost an hour of weight training 6 days a week.
  29. Stop eating food. Priorities.
    JoeSpartaNJ and headbucket like this.
  30. Stugotzo

I'm thinking downward dog would cause me to go downward beer.
    BeerLightning likes this.
  31. I am really trying to watch my calories over the next 3 months, and drinking beer is obviously a big calorie contributor. However, NOT drinking is not even remotely an option.. I mean, let's be serious. So, I'm curious, what are some good, low-calorie beers that are easily accessible?

I don't mean "light" beers.. Just beers that aren't 250 calories per 12 oz. bottle. Something around the 160-180 range.

Much appreciated.
  32. Calories have almost everything to do with alcohol content, as I understand it. So search out brews that you enjoy with low alcohol content. Ratebeer lists approximated calories too. I'm trying to do exactly the same thing, but honestly, the most effective thing to do is to just drink less.

Good luck man.
    19etz55 likes this.
  33. Perish the thought!!

I have sort of noticed that, too.. I guess I'm waving goodbye to Tripels for awhile..
    JamesShoemaker likes this.
  34. It really depends on your purpose for watching calories. Are you trying to lose weight, gain muscle, have a medical condition or just get overall healthier? All are achievable for most people by just watching you're nutrition and staying active. Do you need to drink beer every day? If that's the case go with something like All Day IPA, someone was telling me the calorie count is fairly low. If not, try to eat healthier and give yourself a "cheat day" every week and drink whatever you want (within reason). Whatever you do just keep at it.
    brureview likes this.
  35. It's for weight-loss purposes.. I track my calories incredibly carefully (literally measuring hot sauce with a measuring spoon), so I guess I'll just need to watch my meals on days when I know I'll be drinking. Either way, it would be nice to have some lower calorie options so I don't have to worry as much.
  36. Well, saisons are good. A whole 750 of Seizoen Bretta has less than 500 calories, which was surprising to me.
  37. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

If you are trying to simply lose weight counting calories is fine, if you are trying to become healthier stop eating heavily processed food. You may be surprised how few calories you actually need to become satisfied if you start eating nutritionally dense food. Say goodbye to fast food, candy, and basically anything food that has ingredients you cannot pronounce on the label and you can say hello to a lot more beer than you think. Also, exercise. It is not too hard to burn off a couple hundred calories to make room for a beer.
  38. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

I forget what it's called, but there's been a site mentioned on these forums a few times that has that info on a bunch of different beers....Oh well, you could probably find after a couple minutes of diligent searching on google.

Also, I've always thought that if you want to enjoy quality beer on a regular basis and still look your best one of the best things you can do is be as active as you can. Plus, nothing beats cracking an awesome beer open after you get a good sweat going.

Good luck dude : )
  39. The rule with 'cheat meals' is you have to enjoy it and not feel guilty or else you defeat the purpose. Therefore if you have to choose between one beer that's more calories but you'll love it vs two or three lighter beers just go with the one great beer
  40. Brenden

Brenden Champion (785) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

I would have to agree that, in a situation such as this one, moderation wins over quantity.