1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer at work

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jsboots21, Mar 8, 2013.

1. jsboots21

jsboots21 Savant (280) Tennessee Jan 19, 2009

2. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

My Dad works at an IT firm that does this. In the Silicon Valley style, they want absolutely zero distractions to the creative process. If drinking Two Hearted makes you code better, by all means, have a pint. Seems to be a big bonding opportunity for all the employees as well.
  3. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

I guess it depends on what kind of beer. A glass of Founders KBS would render me unproductive for half a day. A glass of Left Hand Pilsner would have little effect on me. A glass of Bud Light would not touch my lips.
  4. I worked for several real estate firms over the past 10 years and we always had beer in our fridge at work. It was never an issue and if you wanted to have a beer with lunch, no one cared. One friday a month in the summer we would shut down early and have tacos and beer on the patio. It was a great team building event.
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  5. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Savant (275) Mexico Dec 1, 2009

Beer on Friday seems like just a way to send you off to the weekend happy (thus creating a better working environment) rather than a scheme to boost productivity mid-week.
    ChanChan likes this.
  6. Zbyler

Zbyler Aficionado (210) Connecticut Jan 18, 2013

Wow, that seems like an awesome idea. I think its great when you find employers who care more about their employees than themselves and who will do whatever it takes for their workers to be happy. God knows that a lot of bosses are the exact opposite. Happy workers = happy work environment = better business IMO. It's nce to see people getting to have "fun" at work, not many jobs are like that these days. I liken this to seeing all the google headquarters and offices from around the world. Seems like work is never really work to those people which makes life that much more enjoyable.

In may case I basically get to taste beer/wine/liquor as my job so I guess you can say it's kind of the same thing. Love my job ha
  7. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (405) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

My wife works as HR for a tech company and they allow workers to drink while at work. She says everyone seems to respect the idea that you don't over do it. I still think it is a bad idea.
    mcrago likes this.
  8. We have Shuffleboard Beer League (SBL) at work on Fridays.

Basically, just an excuse to drink during the late afternoon on a Friday and use our in-office games. A few of us usually just bring in a few bottles to share. Not much gets done, but it's cool to work for a company that supports our craft beer habits.
  9. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

No beer cart. But we do have cocktail parties that start usually at 5. Sometimes 4:30. The best stuff they serve is typically Sam Adams, but hey, its free. We did have a Oktoberfest thing where they tried to serve some German brews. That was thinking outside the box.

I will sometimes go out for a beer during lunch or a late afternoon nip.
  10. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

She works in Human Resources? :confused: This department is usually the most anal about work ethic!!
  11. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

no. but my locker has a case in it just in *case *.

most of my co-workers have earthquake preparedness kits in theirs. the case is part of my emergency preparedness!
  12. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Poland Oct 24, 2012

Some of us drink Surly cans at work. The boss doesn't know it, but she does wonder why those energy drinks have such an adverse affect on us.
  13. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

After 5 on Fridays at the shop we shut down, open the coolers and drink our fill, with the radio loud!!
  14. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (270) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

Diageo in Norwalk CT is a alcohol importer, they have bars in their workspace and Thursday evening cocktail parties from what I understand.
  15. dianimal

dianimal Savant (420) California Apr 18, 2012

I work in a small, somewhat laid-back lab, and my bosses are big wine-drinkers. Every now and then we have wine with lunch or at the end of the work day, but there are some beers in the fridge (Pacifico and Heineken). I have been thinking about bringing in some different beers to share/have on hand. (Any suggestions are welcome :))
  16. When I was in grad school in Bamberg, Germany, a lot of students would work at the local BOSCH factory during the semester break. The assembly line workers were allowed to drink on the job, and the place was set up with beer vending machines from the (now defunct) Maisel Brewery. Word was they sold 5000 bottles PER DAY, and friends of mine confirmed seeing old school workers put away a dozen or more half liters during a shift.
    kojevergas likes this.
  17. At the last company I worked for they had a monthly social toward the end of the day where they served food and 2 drink tickets although the beer was sam adams and heineken and unfortunately you could not bring your own so always refrained from drinking
  18. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

In a customer facing environment such as the one I find myself in every day, it isn't uncommon to get a headache from dealing with people's rudeness and incompetence. To remedy the situation, my bad days are spent drinking at the Red Brick Pizza next door. Best they have is Hangar 24 Amarillo Pale and Orange Wheat, but in pinch, and on a shitty day, hard to complain about that.
  19. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

Never at work or while on the clock, but we've had team events/lunches where we leave early and have some beers and food together, which is usually fun.
  20. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Aficionado (215) Kentucky May 14, 2009

I think you meant a plastic cup of Bud Light
  21. loweball727

loweball727 Aficionado (205) Ohio Apr 26, 2010

My cousins husband works for a marketing firm and they did commercials for Sun King. They liked the commercials so much they installed a kegerator for take home growlers whenever they want. Just as good as one beer at work in my opinion.
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  22. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

Ahhhh, one of the small advantages of being self employed. And I still rarely take advantage of it since I'm afraid one of my clients will smell it on my breath.
    ChanChan likes this.
  23. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (405) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

The HR team there has a few just like everyoene else. Makes them more approachable for when team members need help.
  24. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

I work as a manager for a beer store. I don't drink on the job, I research products properly.
    djschnabel and Vav like this.
  25. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

For malpractice and other liability reasons, no.
  26. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

It happens like once a month where I'm at and i guess it's kind of nice to break up the day but Blue Moon is usually as good as it gets here.
  27. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

Nicely done.
  28. I'd say this is a horrible idea for all of the obvious reasons. What if you screw something up? I guess it could depend on what line of work you're in, but I'm having a difficult time thinking of one where it'd be a good idea.
  29. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

It would sure make driving a lift truck interesting after a few black notes.
  30. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

No beer at work. Only spirits.
    Fresh off the bottling line at the distillery, baby.
  31. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Especially if you have the collision alert gizmo that shuts the fork lift down and emails your supervisor you crashed something and they have to start up the lift and send you home on suspension...

Think this falls into some of the new age stuff at work. The younger work force - the reward system extends far beyond the paycheck. I had a short course on worker benefits and employee engagement influenced by generations. As a silverback, many of the things brought out had me in disbelief. Actually, some sort of happy hour kinda thing while not completely common, is a supposedly becoming a popular way of building employee engagement in quite a few places. Patio lunches once a week with beer and wine, or monthly cookouts, etc. I would think it could be a liability nightmare. We can't even have holiday parties with alcohol on company property anymore between the fitness police and insurance companies. Apparently some places make a different choice.
  32. I guess it would be nice to be able to drink at work, but I can see why is prohibited by most employers.
  33. I actually had this conversation with some folks last night. Someone was talking about the culture at certain tech startups, where they start drinking around 3:00 pm every day. I can see the one day a week or month thing, a beer Thursday, as a good way to bond and let off steam. But every day? Those startups aren't going to be around long.

This conversation led to one about Don Draper...
  34. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

i work in a pretty casual, creative environment. i think it would be frowned upon to just drink whenever. but most people i work with have some type of liquor in their office, for when the occasion arises. they usually have beer at office type events / mini celebrations. i have beer fridge in my office

[​IMG]

whenever friends come to visit where i work i usually offer them a beer (and have one with them) because, why not?
    FishAndBeer likes this.
  35. We get beer and pizza at 4:00 PM every Friday. Best part is I work with 3-4 other beer enthusiasts so we usually end up with something good.
  36. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 Initiate (0) Florida May 16, 2012

I work next to a brewery. Does that count?

Pretty sure I spend more time there than actually working...
  37. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

We have two kegs on tap in a special room, we also do Taste tests every week. And at all our events we usually have some decent craft offerings. It helps spark creativity! ;)
  38. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (850) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Not allowed here. Although if you saw some of the crap we put out, you might think our execs are constantly knackered. Hell, sometimes I do.
  39. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (385) New York Aug 21, 2012

Culture. This thread wouldn't exist 50 years ago. In the right business atmosphere, it works. In the wrong one, it could be a disaster.
  40. The last comment proves to be the most intelligent. My job takes skill, but not so much that I should be prohibited from expanding my palate or enjoying a favorite during lunch or when I don't have massage clients scheduled. I look at it as being a separate job, nay a duty to myself. These wrists won't hold out forever, but I will have a palate of steel to fall back on;) .