1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer at your local sporting arena/stadium

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Kingerhlc

Kingerhlc Zealot (75) Michigan Nov 26, 2008

At Comerica Park, we are lucky enough to have a Michigan Craft Beer vendor. This gives us Two-hearted for all Tiger baseball games. Also, the Red Wings now have a variety of Bells available at Joe Louis Arena.

shamrock071521 and tectactoe like this.
  2. Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Philly has a venue between all stadiums called Xfinity Live. Inside is a Victory Beer Hall. I'd say that's winning.

3. I jus
    I just brought a couple 4 pks of Cerise and a bottle of Rodenbach Grand Cru with me when I saw radiohead

4. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

You've got ballz bro. I wasn't going to risk that. In interest of this thread I purchased the beer inside. There was a huge line at the craft beer spot and then employees by the macro taps just standing waiting for something to do.

5. Let me be more specific. I drank those in the parking lot haha. Once I got drunk enough I went in and in my drunken state decided to buy a $14 margarita. Best idea ever

imfrommichigan likes this.
  6. imfrommichigan

Haha awesome! Such a good show.

7. I think you're looking in the wrong places. The field and loge levels both have two stands with a decent selection that's certainly better than Leinenkugels. There's always Lakefront, Moon Man, Bells Oberon, Torpedo, Sierra seasonals, some others as well. Prices aren't terrible either. I think they were $5.50 for 12 oz and $7.50 for 16 oz. But I just laugh when vendors are walking around with 8 dollar aluminum pints of Miller and Coors.

8. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

Tiger Stadium? Mr. Ilitch would be disappointed.

9. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Wow x_x, haha... Old habits die hard, I guess. I meant Comerica Park :p

Tiger Stadium will always hold a special place in my heart.

10. gregkoko

gregkoko Aficionado (235) New York Mar 12, 2010

Gotta go to section 106 or 116.

24 oz of Sixpoint Sweet Action,Ommegang Rare Vos, or Bronx Pale Ale for $10.25

I've seen Goose IPA and Anchor Steam for the same price at other stands

11. MeadGuyfromMD

MeadGuyfromMD Savant (260) Maryland May 23, 2007

I attend games in Baltimore, on a regular basis. They have effing National Bohemian (no longer, in any way associated with Baltimore) and people drink a ton of it. YUCK.

HOWEVER, There is a party deck that server cask Flying Dog on Friday's and a separate FD *hut* (Hmm, they should call it the Dog house), that sells FD bottles and drafts.

BUT! I refuse to pay $7 for a bottle or $8 - $10/draft, at a sporting event. Screw that! I drink $5-$7 crafts a few blocks away at Alewife or Pratt St. Ale house, so in short. Don't support over priced beer at stadiums.

My .02

Cheers!

12. imfrommichigan

Just like how the Joe will soon...:(

alelover and tectactoe like this.
  13. Nationals Park in DC has some of the best beer I've ever encountered at a stadium. At the bar inside the Red Porch they have DFH 60 Minute and Indian Brown, Ommegang Hennepin, and rotating options from Flying Dog and Heavy Seas. You can also find Flying Dog Raging Bitch and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale all over the stadium.

14. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

Indeed.

tectactoe likes this.
  15. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

As everyone knows, the Giants do pretty much everything better than the Dodgers, so it will not surprise you to learn that the beer selection at ATT leaves Dodger stadium in the dust. SNPA, Lagunitas IPA, and pretty much everything by Anchor is easily available all around the stadium and with just a little effort--ie, a trip to the first floor--you can get to the Publick House, where they have about two dozen taps with a rotating selection of excellent stuff from RR, Green Flash, Alesmith, Stone, Ballast Point, Bear Republic, the Bruery, Jolly Pumpkin, Dogfish, Victory, Firestone... well, you get the idea. They also have bottles you can order from, including some semi-hard to find ones. It's nice to drop by there on your way to your seat and grab two Plinys and head inside, already making plans for returning in a couple innings. Ah, baseball... can't wait for spring!

16. It was banned at football games in 1980 I think after a riot. You can buy alcohol at gigs and so on though in stadiums, but I can't recall what was on offer the last time I went to a stadium for anything other than a football match.

Given the state of scottish football I'm surprised they haven't repealed the law, given how dire it is to watch now :(

BlindSalimander likes this.
  17. Jealous!!!!

18. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (430) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

I'm at Pepsi Center for 20+ Avalanche games and 2-5 other events. They have decent beer selection. Best on tap is Dale's. But bottled they have SN, Guinness, and well not much else.

Club level though I recall seeing a much better draft selection...One day I'll find out for sure, once the damn NHL comes back. SATURDAY!!!

SFACRKnight and RaulMondesi like this.
  19. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I forgot to mention that you have to sit through a Mariners game :eek:

20. I've only been to Target Field once but they had Surly Bandwagon for roughly the sane price as BMC. That's all I would need.

WYVYRN527 likes this.
  21. I was just there for the Globetrotters of all things with my girlfriends family.
    Dale's, CO Native, a few Sierra Nevada bottles, and that was basically it. I looked into the bar on the club level (wasn't open) and was not impressed but can't recall either.

22. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (430) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

I'll take Dales, but its certainly no massive selection. Beats Coors Field though, that place is depressing for beer.

23. They have like a single craft beer stand (beer around the world?) but at 8.50 or so a bottle I'll say no thanks.

24. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 Initiate (0) Florida May 16, 2012

Tropicana Field had a WOB for a while. Haven't looked in the past year or so though, do to usually being at Wob Downtown to watch the game anyways.

25. At AT&T park in SF we have "the public house" connected to the park, where you can visit three different bars, take into the game anything from cocktails to craft beers on tap and from bottles...some listed off the top of my head but certainly not limited too the following that I had personally last season...
    Pliny
    Blind pig
    Nitro old Rasputin
    Hop stoopid
    Tart of darkness
    Evil twin offerings
    Fred
    Anchor steam, porter
    Sierra pale
    Firestone walker 15, 16, abacus
    Sculpin IPA
    Butcher town black
    Stone RIS '10, '11
    Old guardian
    Guinness
    Ninkasi tricerihops, total domination
    Mirror pond, obsidian stout, abyss

These are just what I remember, I went to 44 games so there were a lot of beers drank.
    GO GIANTS!!!

Hophazzard and westcoastbeerlvr like this.
  26. Where I live on the east coast (DC area) there isn't anything good. We went to baseball games at SF and Oakland over the summer and they had some Lagunitas, SN, and of course Anchor Steam. It was a nice change of pace. Also those damn garlic fries are like crack to an east-coaster. Bottom line....Bay Area does it better.

27. Turner Field beer selection is pretty mediocre. A couple of places with SW 420 on draft. Tomahawk Lager( aka Amber Bock). Some Sam Adams, Terrapin and Sweetwater in bottles. I usually stick to our rotating selection of growlers tailgating in the Blue Lot.

28. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

Yup. Ler rules.

29. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Savant (330) Illinois Sep 1, 2010

the UC actually sells Dasisy Cutter now. that's pretty much all we need there.

cnbrown313 likes this.
  30. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

In bottles or on tap? Cuz I was talking about taps I don't think I've ever looked to see what bottles they have. I always sit in the bleachers just above the bullpen on right field do you knw where they are in relation to there?

31. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (445) Florida Jul 13, 2011

I honestly think I would attend way more pro sporting events than I do now if I had the options you guys have - especially San Francisco, Seattle, Philly, etc that have these huge selections of craft beer available. I am very jealous! Florida is still a little behind the times for craft beer, but they are slowly coming around. A lot of the population are still content to drink Corona, Presidente, Bud Light, etc. But I still think it's disgraceful they can't have at least one local beer on tap at one of these stadiums. They are talking about remodeling Sun Life Stadium where they just held the BCS National Title game. Hopefully they upgrade the concessions too.

32. Yeah thats mostly bottles and Tall Boys of Torpedo. On tap there's just Riverwest Stein and Leinie's Amber there but the stands are right behind first and third bases on the first two levels

33. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

Cool thanks, now if only baseball season would start.....

34. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Aficionado (115) Arizona May 31, 2012

My parents have season tickets for the Diamondbacks and I go to an average of 30 games a year. Over the last two years (since i've been able to buy a beer) I have seen Deschuttes Mirror Pond, Phoenix Ale beers (average at the very best), Boston Lager and their summer seasonal, Lienenkugels, SNPA and BMC. Not bad, but not great.

35. jb123

jb123 Savant (485) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

Ford field has shorts, and sadly that's the best thing the arena has...GO LIONS

36. MeadGuyfromMD

MeadGuyfromMD Savant (260) Maryland May 23, 2007

SHORTS!? And you are complaining, why? lol Is it limited?

37. jb123

No was referring to how bad the Lions suck...usually go to sports for the team and the beer second. But if your going to watch a team suck might as well get to drink shorts!

38. jb123

I LOVE shorts!

HardyA likes this.
  39. DBA is my go-to at Angels Stadium and that's really the only time I drink it. But it's better than the Honda Center, where the best things available, IIRC, are Blue Moon and Stella. I usually pre-game it over at Lazy Dog Cafe either way

40. Problem is, you need to take out a mortgage in order to buy one.

GFG likes this.