1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer at your local sporting arena/stadium

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Jan 14, 2013.

1. alelover

alelover Advocate (595) Michigan Aug 19, 2012

i hate this move.. it really makes me sad. i wish they would just dumb a bunch of money into improving the joe. at least give bells or founders a stand at the new arena and ill be happy.:)

2. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (470) Utah Jul 12, 2012

The beer at the Joe is the worst! $8 Leinie Reds are the best option.

3. alelover

alelover Advocate (595) Michigan Aug 19, 2012

yea tell me about it! you would think it would be better.. i usually have my girlfriend drive and just drink beers from home on the way up in a mcdonalds cup. being at the joe is also one of the only times i really get into liquor. its not cheap but something about the joe makes me want to drink vodka and cranberrys all night. lol

4. [​IMG]

Staples Center stepped it up (a bit) this year -

Anchor - Porter, Deschutes - Mirror Pond, Sierra Nevada - Kellerweis, Goose Island - Honkers Ale, Lagunitas - IPA, Green Flash West Coast IPA, Speakeasy - Prohibition, Ballast Point - Amber... $12 for a 12 ounce pour - aì wey!

mp19 and gtermi like this.
  5. MITCHELLMPLS

MITCHELLMPLS Savant (295) Minnesota Dec 13, 2011

I'm Hoping they expand that lineup beyond Hell and bandwagon this year.

GO TWINS!

Revenant likes this.
  6. Great American Ball Park.
    All BMC Stuff... At least I can still sneak Heady Topper in with me!

GO REDS!!!!!

7. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

Bryant-Denny stadium in Tuscaloosa, AL doesn't serve alcohol. But usually I'll sneak a flask of evan williams green precariously between my legs. One time it spilled and it looked like I pissed myself. College...

8. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Damn that's a pretty bad ass setup for a sports venue

9. That's an insane price. Beer at CBP should be about $8 /14oz this year. Victory, yards, SNPA, and many others

Enjoy

10. screamking

screamking Savant (325) Ohio Jan 20, 2013

I think we got some Morelein and yuengling stuff, at least I know we do at Paul Brown.

11. It's funny... But when we blew the playoffs I was getting hammered on OTR ale. I completely forgot about Morelein being there! Yuengling is forgettable..

12. Welcome to LA. After my first beer, I just went back to my original go to - a 24 ounce Boston Lager at $11.50

Now here's to hoping that Dodger Stadium steps up their game with new ownership. Yep!

13. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

That beer is phenomenal, and was the highlight of Target Field for me last year. That and getting served by Wally The Beer Man at a nearby establishment which name escapes me.

14. phooky

phooky Savant (420) New York Jan 23, 2010

I started a thread on good beer in MSG a few weeks ago-
    long story short, I found great selections!
    Bronx Pale Ale was everywhere, a couple concessions had 90 Minute bottles, and GI IPA, Rare Vos, and Sixpoit Sweet Action and Bengali Tiger was abound

15. Agreed, After seeing what other stadiums offer, i was blown away. Miller Park has absolutely no good choices. Wisconsin has good beer to offer too. To bad its Miller Park, expensive mgd anyone?

jRocco2021 likes this.
  16. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (470) Florida Jul 13, 2011

I'll pay $12 per beer if they start carrying craft beer at any of the ballparks in Miami. Paying $9 for a 12 oz Bud/Miller/Presidente or $11 for a tallboy Heineken is much worse. That's the situation now.

17. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

That would be Sneeky Pete's. I believe that's were he's at now after he got 86ed from Target for not carding.

Revenant likes this.
  18. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Yes it was Sneeky Pete's. Thank you :)

19. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

While the prices are a complete joke, Coors Field has pretty good beer options ranging from the Sandlot and AC Golden to items from Odell, New Belgium, Breckenridge, etc. and some common imports.

20. bnuno

bnuno Aficionado (155) California Feb 8, 2011

In my neck of the woods the biggest sporting venue is the Save Mart Center where I have season tickets to Fresno State basketball, and also attend a lot of other concerts, etc there. The only craft offering they had was Fat Tire (with an occasional SNPA), until all those taps where suddenly replaced by Leinenkugels Lemon Berry Shandy (MillerCoors advertises hard there, is that a coincidence?). So i emailed the company that runs the concessions there and trying my hardest not to be a snob, very politely told him i was disappointed with the selection being that they only had american lite lagers and my only craft choice, Fat Tire was replaced. They responded saying they were sorry and they like to "play around with the different beers." So i responded perhaps an IPA would be a good to try since that is a very popular style right now. a couple of days later when i attend a game they had Torpedo on tap. You welcome Fresno.

21. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Boston Garden is pretty miserable. In addition to having the 3rd highest prices in the country, the selection is shit. I haven't been there in a year or so, but the last time I was there it was all BMC, Sam Adams, and Harpoon...and premixed draft margaritas:eek:

22. The University of Louisana at Lafayette is probably the only university to have beer at football, basketball, baseball and softball games. The selection at the basketball game was local craft brews including Abita, Canebrake, Tin Roof and Teche Brewing Hwy 31 Pale Ale. $7.50 for 24oz. Go Ragin Cajuns.

23. Are those taps located all throughout the venue, or is that at a bar inside the Staples Center?

24. From what I saw, there is only 1 and on bottom floor. Also, it's not a bar, it's just a basic food station (they serve bratwursts, etc.) I think it's around section 117-118 - but font quote me on that.

25. I was at the"United Center" home of the Chicago Blackhawks and Bulls last week and was surprised to see cans of Half Acre Daisy Cutter I think it was 8.00. Also saw Dechutes Northwest Pale ale and Goose Island Green Line. Last year they had none of these and about the only thing other than BMC was GI 312 or LaBatts.

Infinite1 likes this.
  26. ziggyzoggy

ziggyzoggy Savant (250) Ohio Apr 30, 2013

Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati. Not a bad list, all things considered. What are some of the craft offerings at YOUR local ballpark?

Draft:
    Bell's Oberon
    Great Lakes Wright Pils
    Alltech Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
    Hudepohl Amber
    Rivertown Hop Bomber
    Rivertown Helles Lager
    Moerlein OTR
    Moerlein Lager House
    Goose Island Summertime

Canned/Bottled:
    Bell's Two Hearted Ale
    Founders All Day IPA
    Founders Centennial IPA
    Harpoon IPA
    Madtree PsycHOPathy
    Moerlein Northern Liberties
    5 Rabbit 5 Grass
    Mt. Carmel Amber
    Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale
    Southern Tier Live
    Unita Wyld Extra Pale
    Avery White Rascal
    Bell's Oarsman
    Fat Head's Bumbleberry
    New Holland White Hatter
    Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout

27. brb moving to cincy

craft offerings and both NY ballparks happen to blow.

TheGator321 likes this.
  28. meanmutt

meanmutt Champion (765) Ohio Feb 6, 2012

You're missing Rhinegeist Truth and Listermann Serpentine Wheat from your draft list ;).

I'm glad they finally added another craft beer booth at GABP. I was tired of walking all the way to the Grand Slam Stand from our usual seats on the first base side.

Cheers!

ziggyzoggy likes this.
  29. BergBeer

BergBeer Savant (265) Rhode Island Aug 21, 2013

Petco here in SD has a crazy selection! They have Frikin fridays where they tap a freaking cask! A CASK! They also have tons of local brews i've seen
    Ballast point
    Lightening brewing
    Green Flash
    Karl Strauss
    Stone
    Manzinita
    Port
    and i know I'm missing more!

The best deal though is Ballast point! They have their own stands and sell 24oz. Big Eye for $10.50! Super cheap for craft beer at a park!

Also at AT&T they have a Anchor stand but it's $12 for a 12oz. pour! Drove me insane!

aquazr1 and TheGator321 like this.
  30. toastck

toastck Aficionado (110) Wisconsin Sep 26, 2009

I would disagree. I go to the craft beer stands all the time when there. You got New Glarus, Central Waters, Sprecher, Lakefront, Bell's and a few others. The selection from those brewers isn't big, but for over $6.50 beer, that selection is fine. Also, Miller doesn't own the stadium, they just bought the naming rights.

31. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Man, last time I went to a sporting event I had to drink Yuengling. I avoid them now.

32. Fenway, TD Garden and Gillette have a crap selection. I do like ordering Molson at a B's/Habs game for the irony.

33. Also what sets this apart from the rest, is you pay bar prices for your pour at the Publick House not stadium prices. The bottle list can be priced pretty high for certain items but still being able to split an awesome bottle at a game is very unique.

34. Where in the park are all of these beers? I was there a month ago and could only find the Moerlein OTR in the Machine Room.

35. Rexall Place in Edmonton, AB has an incredibly poor excuse for a beer selection. On tap is limited to Molson Canadian and Coors Light, and the assorted non-tap bars will have a couple Heinekens and a few others in the cooler. I'm hoping when the new arena goes up in a couple years we'll have a respectable selection, but I'm not holding my breath.

36. Anhyzer

Anhyzer Aficionado (150) Wisconsin Nov 14, 2007

Surly Furious @ Target Field FTW! Too bad the Twins aren't winning though.

37. ziggyzoggy

ziggyzoggy Savant (250) Ohio Apr 30, 2013

You can find these beers at the Grand Slam Stand, Scout's Alley, various "stand alone" beer carts, and the Food Network stand near section 132.

38. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Savant (395) Texas Feb 16, 2012

[​IMG]
    I found this to be a pretty interesting chart, at the ballpark in Arlington you can get pretty good beers from St Arnolds, Rahr and Sons, and Shiner.

39. You got that right. And if by chance they did have any decent craft offerings, you'd need to take out a mortgage to buy one seeing that they charge $9 for a 20 oz.? Bud or Miller Lite.