1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer & Baked Beans Recipe

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by bramsdell, Mar 1, 2013.

1. I'm making a pork/beef meatloaf with a pretty killer glaze on it this weekend for some friends. One of my friends was supposed to make his excellent mashed potatoes, but now he cannot. My oven will be tied up all day and my mashed potatoes recipe pales in comparison to his, so I want to make one of my all-time favorite foods, baked beans.

Going to use the slow cooker for these bad boys. I found a couple of recipes online involving a slow cooker (either crock-pot or dutch oven) and beer, but I wanted to know if anyone has a successful recipe. I'll probably use a sweeter beer, maybe a sweeter brown ale, a milk stout or even something with maple if I can find it.

Thanks.
  2. I'd use a sweet-ish brown ale or milk stout, and add some maple syrup to it - maple beer's flavors & aromas are mostly tied-up in the esters, which are volatile and vanish with cooking heat. Your idea sounds crazy-good - I love good baked beans!