1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Bottle Collection

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by KevinStaley, Feb 21, 2014.

1. I have nearly 350 beer bottles. I keep each bottle of a different beer I have drank. I am wondering if anyone else collects their beer bottles and what you do with them as far as displaying them or storing them? I have shelves on my walls but that doesn't fit nearly enough of them. The dream is to open a bar and put them there but being 22 and just graduated college that seems a bit farfetched. Just looking for new ideas! Cheers!

2. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Advocate (690) Florida Feb 16, 2012

I have started just keeping the premier stouts and BA stouts, otherwise i would need a second house if I kept everything. So something like:

Rare
    Prop
    BCBS
    Backyard Rye
    BCBCS
    BA Speedway
    Dark Lord
    Darkness
    Black Tuesday
    Chocolate Rain
    Pirate Bomb
    BA Blackout
    BBPt5
    etc.

3. I have a beer bottle CAP collection. I partially finished our basement and ran out of drywall on the "shop" side of the basement, so it only comes halfway up the studs at one point. Coincidentally, it's right across from my beer fridge and I have an opener mounted on the wall right over the half wall. So a few years ago I got into the habit of tossing my caps into the cavity between the wallboard. Recently my wife said "enough already" so I fished them all out and I now have them in an overflowing 5 gallon bucket. So, that's how I "display" my conquests.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with your question(s), but thanks for indulging me. :confused:

I'll be here all week. Drive safe. Don't forget to tip your servers. Goodnight, now.

4. Rob315

Rob315 Savant (345) Kentucky Mar 20, 2010

I keep bottles from my favorite breweries and display them above the cupboards in my kitchen. I also used to keep one from each beer I tried but it got out of control so I got rid of most of them.

5. Yes. I'm a beer bottle hoarder. I'm seeking help for it by drinking only draft beer.

6. I am pushing 500+ unique bottles with their caps and just made the decision to make one big trip to the bottle depot to recycle them all. Otherwise, I was going to end up with a glass floor in my basement. Like others have mentioned, I am keeping my favorite bottles and the caps (so I can recycle those in 10 years.

7. I don't collect bottles. But, I do have an old journal-type blank book in which I peel and tape the labels of new beers as I try them. My wife calls it my "man-diary."

8. I can tell you that floor-to-ceiling shelves made of 1x4 boards (bottles are stores one deep) and built to the exact height of the various grouping of bottles stored on each shelf will contain about 1,200 bottles along about 55 feet of wall length in my man cave.

9. La Cumbre Brewing has an impressive bottle collection displayed throughout the brewery and the bottles are from lots of sought after brews and whales and from all over the country/world. Mighty impressive. I'm always asking the beer servers how the hell Jeff, the main brewer, managed to hang on to them all, especially given that (I think) he lived in NYC where space is a premium.

Seeing that collection never ceases to amaze me and you can easily catch me marveling at them while sipping a brew there.

10. I only have a few bottles that I have kept for one reason or another.

11. I have about 275 bottles, most of which are in storage back home in Delaware. I have 58 on display above my kitchen cabinets right now which is almost out of space but, when I make my next trip to Delaware, I'm bringing back the rest and displaying those on my bookshelves where I originally had kept them. I can't wait to merge my two collections together and admire them in all their wondrous glory. Oh, and I only keep the ones that are either rare (whalez), have limited regional distribution or have awesome labels.

12. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (365) Illinois Jul 30, 2013

I don't have enough room to save most bottles (and my girlfriend would kill me), so I only save the rarest/coolest ones. Currently I think I'm only holding on to BCS Proprietor's, Darkness, Heady Topper, and Zombie Dust.

13. Shafaegalo

Shafaegalo Savant (290) Texas Jan 12, 2014

Ive got about 250 bottles currently...saw a great setup at the Gingerman in Houston Tx where they have painted 1x4s mounted about a foot from the ceiling that line the walls and the bottles displayed on those. Ive got 4 grandkids so was looking for something to keep the bottles out of harms way! Working on the mancave now and will expand into the kitchen.

14. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

I just got rid of well over 5k in my move.
    1 bottle of every beer i ever had.
    Took 2 months in the recycle bins and stacks next to it.
    DONT DO IT.

dwagner003 and Mothergoose03 like this.
  15. fleurdelou

fleurdelou Savant (340) Kentucky Nov 11, 2013

Please tell me how you remove the labels....dear god

16. Gfunk

Gfunk Aficionado (200) Maine Mar 5, 2014

I keep all the cool/ rare bottles lined up in my beer shed.

The best way to remove labels is to soak them in hot water fully submerged and it will loosen the glue so you can carefully peal off the labels. Some actually are stickers, like Clown Shoes labels, so they can be pealed off once they get at room temp. The key is to go slow and easy.

17. I would love to collect the bottles after I drink them, but I live in a small apartment. haha! I've begun collecting my bottle caps in a mason jar. It's kind of cool, because I can shake it around, and see the different breweries I have had! Pretty cool!

18. Gfunk

I ended up with probably over 2000 bottle caps and now we had to start color-coding them in different mason jars and pint glasses.

fleurdelou likes this.
  19. fleurdelou

I have tried this method and found some very easy to remove (Evil Twin, Founders, Southern Tier) to name a few that i pulled this morning, but some are just down right impossible. It seems like its always the ones that I want the most that wont come off no matter how hard I try or delicately I handle them. I was hoping for some magical soap concotion that would make them fall off...alas. Thanks though!

20. fleurdelou

I keep minein a giant 3-4 gallon fishbowl as a centerpiece in my livingroom. We keep it classy up in my place.

Gfunk likes this.
  21. Gfunk

If I screw one up too bad, and it's hard to get, I will try to find the picture of the label online and print it out to save. I wonder if rubbing alcohol or simple green would work better for those real sticky ones.

22. fleurdelou

Hmm these are both good suggestions, I will try that. I am just afraid the rubbing alcohol will destroy the print. I am peeling them to make furnature out of. I want to have a table covered in bottle labels so they dont have to come out perfect, but they have to come off looking decent.

Gfunk likes this.
  23. Depends on the bottle, really...

Some breweries use labels that are extremely easy to peel off with no assistance (Jack's Abby, Maine Beer Co to name a couple). For these, I just run a knife under the side-edge and carefully peel.

Others require a soak. I have a big tupperware jug. I fill the bottle with the hottest water I can get out of the tap, then place it in the container and fill it with the same hot water until it covers the label.

Results vary...some only take 5-10 minutes to loosen the glue enough to run a knife under the edge and very carefully peel it back. Some require as much as 30-60 minutes.

Unfortunately, there are some breweries that are practically impossible. Samuel Smith's comes to mind...no matter how much I soak them, I can't get them off without them tearing into a million little pieces.

24. Gfunk

One other trick is using a hair dryer or heat gun to heat up the glue to be able to remove the label without getting it saturated with water and having the label fall apart. Sammy Smith is a bitch to get off, since it's all paper without a coating, I could never do it with water.

25. fleurdelou

Good Ol' Smithy. I havent had the pleasure of tackling that one yet. I will definitely try that one. Lucky me, Id much reather use my bloydryer on my beers than my hairs.

26. fleurdelou likes this.
  27. fleurdelou

28. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Label Removal 101