Beer Budgeting...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TastyAdventure, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Not a fun topic, if you're blessed with plenty of cash, get out of here!

So... How do YOU manage it?

chuckstout likes this.
  2. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (715) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Throw down plastic now. Worry later.

3. I specifically allocate a maximum of $50-$60/week for beer and beer related wares. Last week, I spent $400 on beer. Try and guess how financially responsibly I am.

4. I work oilfield for 2wks at a time. When i get off i buy what i want for 2wks off , at least 14bombers, never over 20 and only things ive never tried

StonedTrippin likes this.
  5. Budgeting, that's a good idea ...in theory.

6. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Walk 36 miles round trip to and from work. Can save up a ton by not buying gas!

7. I get paid bi-weekly and while I am not "poor", I am by no means wealthy. I don't have a monthly budget as far as a number, but in the winter months, I usually only buy the rare items as most of the BA and more sought after items come out between November and April. The other months of the year I spend buying wider release beers to cellar for the winter or daily drinkers that will go quickly.

8. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

By the sounds of it..about as good as me lol

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  9. I have 2 main stores that I go to and one is bigger than the other one and they have a better selection. The smaller store will often sell the same beer as the larger one for at least a buck cheaper so obviously I'm gonna get the beer there unless the beer I want is only sold at the larger store.

10. Wife and I pay all bills, savings and additional expenses before allotting money to discretionary spending like beer. In months where the budget is tight we spend less on beer (and other discretionary purposes) but we have a lot of beer at home between what we have bought and homebrew so we are never short on beer.

StonedTrippin and musicman7070 like this.
  11. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Ive budgeted to the dollar the last few months which has allowed mr to save a great deal of money.

$75 a week on beer. If I don't spend it, it rolls over

tcanaday, nickapalooza86 and ESeab like this.
  12. I buy as much as I want..as long as the mortgage is paid.

JMS1512, jglowe77, chugalug06 and 6 others like this.
  13. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

I don't buy other necessities. Like food or school textbooks

14. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (395) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

Is there money in my bank account? Will I have enough money for gas to get to work until next pay check?

BEER MONEY! :D

mtk180, Bluecane, FishAndBeer and 3 others like this.
  15. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

I spend way too much gole durnmoney that I should be spending on beer and food. Good thing I have savings money deducted from mah check before I see it. :/ working on spending wayyyy less, just bought first beer in weeks.

16. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

My budgeting is done naturally through the pace of my drinking. I like to drink my beers slowly and will only drink 1-2 (granted, mostly 8% or above) beers in an evening. Obviously I can't stock up on too many IPAs or other fresh beers at that pace. I also tend to only buy 12oz bottles and growlers unless I find something limited or very exciting (for instance CR BCBS).

RobertColianni likes this.
  17. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Budgeting really works for me...until there's a beer that I possibly couldn't pass on buying.

18. I plan out my beer consumption a week in advance, excluding weekends, drinking a lot less during the week (usually single digit beers mon-thu). There is no budgeting to be spoken of when it comes to weekend brews, however.

19. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

My finances are fine, which is sort of an oxymoron since I'm in the military. I'm a pretty frugal guy and beer is one one of the few things I spend money on.

Now the real ironic thing I've noticed lately... About 2/3 of what I spend goes to cellar beers that I won't drink for at least a year.

FishAndBeer and jtdolla911 like this.
  20. Part time job with that money being exclusively used for beer. Home brew purchases come out of that money as well.

Blanco likes this.
  21. Steamer

Steamer Aficionado (220) Missouri Dec 13, 2012

Reach for the wallet and see whats there. If there's enough cash for what I've put in the cart or basket, I use cash, it not, I lay down the credit card. No real method other than when the shelves are full, I stop buying until I drink enough to make room for more!

22. Hold to a tight budget of about 105/month for beer+golf. I'd like to retire before I expire, so I'm quite alright with drinking mainly troegs, victory, and yuengling with a few treats mixed in. 401K matches and Roth IRA's are pretty cool.

albertq17, GR_Rick and Bluecane like this.
  23. RichD

RichD Advocate (715) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I pretty much hope that I have enough money for beer. Between paying 226 a month for a car and paying for college, it's a little rough. I try to limit myself to about 20 bucks a week for beer. Doesn't necessarily work though.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  24. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Savant (485) Illinois Nov 2, 2011

$30 a week not including bars / restaurants. I also throw a few bucks every so often into an envelope in my gun safe for certain times of the year (Hopslam, Double Trouble, FBS, Hop Juice, etc...)

JMS1512 and albertq17 like this.
  25. I'll "get outta here" I guess. ;-)

SammyJaxxxx and RobertColianni like this.
  26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Homebrewing is the answer. My last batch netted 28 bombers (22oz) for about a $40 investment. And it didn't taste like fido's ass.

27. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Not Fido's Ass Ale. That'd get folks attention on the shelves.

abcentfishing and fredmugs like this.
  28. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (550) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

IRA's better than IPA's?! I think not!

Bluecane and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  29. Make sure the kid is well fed; then mindlessly spend

30. SFACRKnight

The key is citra hops, but people may say it tastes like cat piss. Can't win 'em all...

31. Roger85

Roger85 Advocate (550) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

What the hell's a budget?!

32. Beer...budgeting. Beer...budgeting.

I know what beer is. I understand the concept of budgeting. But put those two words together and suddenly I don't know WHAT the hell you're talking about.

NABS, AmitC and Goat_Warrior like this.
  33. SFACRKnight

I believe they rent moving vans.

34. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I'm make very little money and am now broke with what I've bought since the new year. I plan on not buying anything in March and drinking a lot of my inventory. We'll see how that goes...

35. I used to go to a store and wind up blowing a ton of cash on beers. I travel a lot for work, so whenever I was working in a new state, I'd bring beer home from that state. The only problem with that is when I come home over the weekends, I won't drink through all of the beer and it starts to backlog. A few months of traveling starts to generate a little too much beer - and a lot of money spent on it.

After ending up with an unnecessarily large cellar, I decided that I need to exercise some self control - and drink down that cellar. So now I've been mostly drinking 2-5 year old beers for the past 2 months to alleviate the backlog.

Going forward I'll set aside some money if I hear of something coming out that I'd like to try, but I've become a lot more selective so that I don't deal with an over abundance again.

36. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

wha? The title of this thread is an oxymoron imo. ;)

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  37. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

I have a budge of 100.00 a months me go over every time. Fortunately I have another part one job that I've made about 1500
    The last 3-4 weeks on top of my teaching salary. I'm getting married in June and decided unless I keep this part time job up I will only buy beer when I get extra cash. So fortunately I have been good the last month. I still buy and trade too much and am trying to cut down once I finalize my end of a couple trades ill hold off until hunahpo day. Once the wedding is over ill be able to allocate more to beer.

Another way I have more beer money is to cut down on spending money at bars and eating out. Not eating out once a week can buy me a couple six packs. I also have a mortgage that is cheaper than people's car payments (200 a month) so I have extra money but spending a lot of money in serious excess off budget is probably not the smartest move.

***dont start trading or it'll get worse lol

CurtFromHershey likes this.
  38. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

I do my best to stick to a $100 a month budget + $70/month for craft beer connect.

39. I set a max of $200.00 a week for beer. This does not include going out or beer of the month clubs.
    It is tough but I can usually stay wituin budget

40. jb123

jb123 Advocate (510) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

dont even like to think about how much i actually spend. its easier that way. worry later. and soak up your worries in the delicious beer you've purchased.

AmitC likes this.